A Question About Eichlers

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Grinch
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

A Question About Eichlers

Postby Grinch » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:26 am

Hi everybody,

I've got a few questions about Eichler homes. But first, let me introduce myself. My name is Nick, and I go to the John F. Kennedy High School Arts and Architecture Magnet. Over our holiday break, we had to choose one signficant building in the Los Angeles area, and do a comprehensive guide to it. Living in Granada Hills, I naturally chose Eichlers! I've always loved Eichlers, and my mom grew up in one on Lisette Avenue. Anyways, I narrowed my criteria down to the Balboa Highland Tract, and that's where I need information.

I understand that there are six different models of Eichlers in the Balboa Highlands - the 384, the 1744, the 1805, the 405, the 413, and the 394. I need to know which architect (or architects) came up with the designs for these models.

My other question is, does one floorplan only have one roof type? It's my understanding that all Balboa Highland Eichlers have either a flat roof, a slope roof, or an "A" Frame gable. For example, would all model 384s have flat rooves, or would some have slopes, some have gables, etc.

If anybody could help with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

~Nick

EDIT: After doing more research, I see now that there are eight plans total for the Balboa Highlands Eichlers. I've managed to get all the floorplans except plan 354. If anybody could help me out on that as well, it would be great.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

from the post....

Postby modfan » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:29 am

My other question is, does one floorplan only have one roof type? It's my understanding that all Balboa Highland Eichlers have either a flat roof, a slope roof, or an "A" Frame gable. For example, would all model 384s have flat rooves, or would some have slopes, some have gables, etc.

I've often wondered that myself-is there only 1 'exterior' design per plan-seems like its both ways depending on the eichler tract.
Check eichlernetwork.com (they may have taken the plans out) it's basically northern california centric and eichlersocal.com which is mostly about the southern california tracts.
What cool school assignment.
Hope this can enlighten future homeowners about keeping these type of neighborhoods and not letting then turn into McMansion neighborhoods.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:14 am

grinch, welcome to LL.

finding that plan will be difficult if it is not on the Balboa or the Eichler SoCal web site. It may be possible to find that plan under a different number from another tract. Post up or send me an image of the exterior front of the home.

If it is a Claude Oakland plan, try asking Marty Arbunich at the Eichler Network www.eichlernetwork.com

Jones & Emmons, Anshen+Allen, and Claude Oakland designed thousands of different models for old Joe

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:31 pm

The roof lines and the floor plans are all mix and match - as in a flat roof may be applied to a few different types of floor plans including a 2 story model in Balboa Highlands!

Grinch
Modern Groupie

Postby Grinch » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:44 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:33 pm

naefspiel
Modern Groupie

custom eichlers

Postby naefspiel » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:46 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:28 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:16 pm

speaking of Eichlers, this one is one of the most original ones I have seen

http://www.eichlersocal.com/GalleryPage ... /index.htm

in Orange

Grinch
Modern Groupie

Postby Grinch » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:50 pm

She lived at 17142 Lisette St.

Slant roof model, although it has been repainted since.

I still need to find an original Eichler in Balboa Highlands. So many of them have been stuccoed (is that even a word?) or modified in some way or another. Of all the houses I've been in, the most frequent change has been the raising of the original low stove. Too bad...

Isn't there some kind of historical landmark preservation thing that can make it illegal to modify Eichlers away from their original form? I mean, Eichlers are a prime example of mid-century modern. Historical artifacts, in my opinion.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I think

Postby modfan » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:06 am

Stefen
Modern Fan

Postby Stefen » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:52 pm

simplebot
Modern Fan

Re: A Question About Eichlers

Postby simplebot » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:19 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:34 pm

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:21 pm

simplebot
Modern Fan

Postby simplebot » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:14 am

simplebot
Modern Fan

Postby simplebot » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:36 pm

Here are the four additional plans from the second Eichler brochure.
354:

374:

375:

1505:

Sorry it took so long to get these out here, my computer containing the scans was down for a while. I also apologize for the quality they are scans of a crappy photocopy, and I have no access to the originals.... yet (I'm still looking) When I get my scanner set up again I'll scan the other brochure with the "tract features" info.

-darrell

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:00 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:29 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:01 pm

"The Sunnyvale home of Francois and Laure Cornillon looks as if it were built yesterday. . ."

aly star
Modern Socialite

Postby aly star » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:10 pm

Until today I had little or no qualm with my light switches. Now I think they are entirely too noisy and I am sure that's the cause of my migrains, what a racket they make!! click!
:wink:
hahah. just kidding. but really what a silly amenity.

aly star

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”