Any ideas for this large wall?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
blenderama67
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Any ideas for this large wall?

Postby blenderama67 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:38 am

Happy New Year!

We are about to embark on adding 1500 sq ft onto our house. Cliff May is our inspiration. In the living room, there is a large wall that we are trying to decide what will be on it. Here is a pict of a little model we built to help you picture the space. The model is not finished, but the basic ideas are there. The LONG wing is the addition.

Initially, I thought we would just paint it and put up a few wall sconces, but this is a large wall so I'm not sure that will work.

There is also talk of eventually placing a plasma tv on this wall, but we don't watch much tv and could look tacky. On the other hand, it could look like something from the Jetsons, with a big screen. Not sure how to deal with this one.

-One idea we are considering is a wall of ashlar or maybe just on the lower part with a ashlar planter with tall plants lit from below.

O.K. I don't want to lead the witness, so let's see if anything comes to mind from you folks.

Just a couple facts:
- Ceilings are 12 feet at their highest, 4 and 12 slope, no exposed beams, can't afford it :( So ceiling will be sheetrocked.
- Two 10 foot ridge skylights, in the kitchen/living space
- Aluminum sliders
- 9 foot deep L-shaped covered corriador
I'm sure I'm leaving something out...

Blenderama

blenderama67
Modern Socialite

A fireplace...

Postby blenderama67 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:46 am

Oh, and we decided not to add a fireplace on that wall. A decision I think I will regret. :roll:

Blenderama

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:41 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:58 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I see

Postby modfan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:43 pm

your location is Sunnyvale. I think there are restrictions on adding a woodburning fireplace in the Bay area now so you probably have to go with a gas log of some type unless it can be grandfathered in somehow. I think the high window suggestion is a good idea tho'-some light, ventilation but still retain some privacy. (oops-but I think you can add a woodburning fireplace outside on the patio tho-kinda strange)

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:06 pm

my first choice would be natural gas. then propane.

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Chimay » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:19 am

We have a very similar wall in our place, which we haven't figured out what to do with yet, either. We just replastered it and installed a few sconces, and it looks fine until we figure something out. Probably will just hang artwork on it when we find something appropriate. I think you'll find that when you get it built and the furniture moved in, it will be fine. (although I do like the idea of putting full-length windows back there if you can - even if you just end up planting bamboo or some other hedge to hide whatever's on that side of the house). In any case, make sure that the mud work and texture spray (if any) are very smooth and flawless on that wall, because it will be noticed otherwise!

Wall on left in this "before" photo is the wall in question (note the marks you can see from where the texture is different from previous patched holes). Wall has since been redone to make it consistent. The last section on this wall is floor-to-ceiling glass.

Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

blenderama67
Modern Socialite

Trying to find time to reply to these excellent responses...

Postby blenderama67 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:48 am

vik1109
Modern Groupie

Large Wall

Postby vik1109 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:31 am

here's something you could do...this piece can be made by going to the craft store and buy lots of sticks, then using wire to make your own sculpture...

Chimay

Now, about the rest of the house...

Postby Chimay » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:41 am

If I may offer an unsolicited suggestion, blenderama, I would consider adding clerestories to your new addition, and also perhaps changing the roof lines to increase the visibility out towards your courtyard area )i.e. butterfly roof or flat?). Your addition as you currently have it is definitely reminiscent of the Cliff May Ranchos, and changing the roof line would be decidedly more Alexander or Eichleresque...

I've done up a few quick sketches using MS Paint. They're not to scale or anything, but hopefully they convey what I'm talking about so you get the idea. The view here is from a different angle than your photos. The addition is closest to the viewer here, looking at back towards the existing house:

Here it is as it currently looks, I think, based on the model (but with clerestories):

And here it is with a different roofline:

Anyway, just a thought!

MarinModern
Modern Master

Wall idea

Postby MarinModern » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:50 pm

You may want to do a Gypsum Modular Art which you screw into the wall and paint. visit the following link:

http://www.modulararts.com/

We have this in out Eichler and get many compliments on it. You can do some up-lighting on it as well. It got the 2004 Green Product Award and has been seen on The Real World Texas.....don't let the MTV thing stop you from looking into it.
Check out http://www.MarinModern.com and http://www.eichlerforsale.com for great MCM homes in the San Francisco Bay Area!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:50 pm

shed is my pick. Cliff May sported shed roofs on several custom ranch homes in the '40s and early '50s

do build post and beam.

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:35 pm

A post & beam shed roof would be my favorite, too. I didn't realize that CM did any of those.

Mod Diva
Modern Socialite

Postby Mod Diva » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:38 pm

ll
Last edited by Mod Diva on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mod Diva
Modern Socialite

Postby Mod Diva » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:40 pm

Hello all-
The hubby and I are always looking for a new project- Here's the latest we did to a big wall in our apartment here in Chicago. Inspiration..Catcher Block's office in the movie, "Down With love". I thought it turned out pretty great. I think it would work better in a bigger place but it turned out just fine here too- A huge piece of wall art!!
Cheers,
Mod Diva
Last edited by Mod Diva on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blenderama67
Modern Socialite

Postby blenderama67 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:53 am

Getting back to my original question...

Roxy500, you are right. ART is exactly what we need on that wall.

Vik1109, love that stick art! Stay tuned, I might be doing that since it is truly affordable art!

MarinModern, those panels are really cool! I've bookmarked the site.

Modfan, you are correct about the no woodburning rules here in Sunnyvale. We would do a gas fireplace which is what we have in the original part of the house. I get my "crackling fire" fix when we go camping.

Joe and Chimay, you mentioned windows opposite the wall of glass. We have windows there for ventilation but, we just didn't cut them out on the model. We really threw that model together while the kids were napping. However, we realize it's important to the Mid-Century feel so we are going to go with clerestories below the soffit, like the Neutra Case Study House #20 (Bailey House). We originally had a couple ordinary casement windows...boring.

Now about our design in general...

Our house is located in "Fremont Estates" where in the 1950's they built basic ranch tract homes on 1/4 acre lots. If we were to change the design to more Alexander/Eichleresque it would be an assalt on our street. That shed roof jutting out in the sky would not fit in here. The neighbors might consider it a "Modern McMansion". They already have to put up with our fleet of vintage cars.

We love the overhang at the Sunset Buildings and have gone to great lengths to mimic Cliff May's style of corredor. My DH has even met with George Sunquist, one of Cliff May's former carpenters, about details of the design. We also went to UC Santa Barbara to view the archives of Cliff May drawings.

In addition, we have a southwest exposure for that wall of glass and we need protection from the sun.

Chimay, thank you for taking the time to draw your ideas. Your design is very cool and does makes sense. You mentioned the clerestories at the end. That was in the original design, but that space is going to be a studio apartment we are going to rent to a student, so we needed to cut them out to save some cash. Although, if we turn that space into a master bedroom in the future, DH has assured me we will add clerestories there.

Joe, if you have more ideas, don't lay awake at night, share them :P

Here is a couple picts of what we have done so far, removal of the lanai and excavation. We are starting in early Feb, so if you are interested I will post a pict from time to time to show progress.

Here's the lanai being taken down, viewed from the back yard. For BONUS points can anyone name the vintage grill in the foreground?

Here's the after pict

During excavation, viewed from our sliding glass door.
Here's the backyard after excavation AND after the Dec 17th storm.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Blenderama

blenderama67
Modern Socialite

Postby blenderama67 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:57 am

Mod Diva,

That installation is wonderful. I think I need to see that movie...
Do you have uplights underneath? I feel like
it would really come to life with some special lighting.

Blenderama

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:01 am

blenderama67
Modern Socialite

Postby blenderama67 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:57 am

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:22 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:26 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:01 pm

[Dontcha love the difference in color tone between the day and night shots of Mod Diva's cool dining room ? Far from being an "erroneous photo defect" this likely reflects the actual difference in color temperature of the "available light" at the times when the photos were recorded. While "the camera can lie" in other ways, I suspect the digital camera has brought assurance to those of us who were previously befuddled by the differences in film types -- "daylight"; "indoors" etc. Any photogs out there who can verify this. . .?]

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Cherry Capri
Modern Socialite

Postby Cherry Capri » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:12 pm

;)
I have 2 large tiki paintings for sale here:
http://www.cherrycapri.com/shopping_artwork.php

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:59 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:21 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:43 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”