The Regret list : If I had to do it all over again....

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Staar
Modern Master

Postby Staar » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:15 pm

this has been such a great thread that i thought i'd bump it back to life and see if anyone has anything to add to their list.

here is my first regret so far:

not watching while my plumber cut some holes into my trim in the back of the house. errr i would have suggested he just bend the piping AROUND the trim instead of cutting it out!

alyssa
Modern Fan

Postby alyssa » Fri May 05, 2006 1:06 pm

I wish I had painted prior to moving and that I had put in the wood floor I really want because now its going to be a big pain to do. Hubby wanted to paint but I just wanted to be done moving and settling in so I kept saying

Nah its fine but now I am miserable and want to paint more than anything. Too much white!
Alyssa Anders
Modular Homes information, Resources and more at Modular Today.

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:12 pm

Wish I had refinished my existing stair while under construction. The thought of well that will be a good winter project somehow won out. Now I've got cat prints in the finish and sawdust all over the place. Lesson Learned, just do all the dirty work and get it over with.

Jerad

Sputnikmoss
Modern Master

Postby Sputnikmoss » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:49 pm

1-I wish that I would not have relied on my memory after misplacing the color sample for the laundry room/pantry. My husband and I spent the entire weekend painting the entire thing which consists mostly of drawers and cupboard doors. We took off all the hardware and painted them all on sawhorses in the garage. After rehanging it all I then realized I had bought the color one shade "up" on the 4 color sample. Ugggh! It looks OK but now my vintage yellow starburst Formica blends instead of popping, but I thought for sure it was "lemon...lemon something".

2-I want one day in life my back. One 98 degree day last August in which my husband and I took 3 trips to Home Depot, 20-80lb bags of concrete and one wheelbarrow and had fun in the sun! We spent the day filling in the voids that where left when we knocked out some brick planters on our back patio. Don't ask me why I would think it would go smoothly, or even why I thought it would look good, or better yet why I would think that spending a mere $60 make up for the "inconsistencies" in the color. Let's just say that a check for $3k was written last week to extend our deck another level and no one will ever speak of that August day again!!
Sputnik Housewares...Jetset furnishings from the Atomic Age!

LVSwingsTheThing
Modern Groupie

Thanks

Postby LVSwingsTheThing » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:01 pm

Well I've only been in the house a year but I already have one..

I regret re-building a small hollow wall between my small kitchen and main living room, when I took out a pocket door which made my house's 56 years of settling all too obvious.. I wish I would've just put in some sort of screen or room divider. I don't miss the door, because it was my only interior door with painted over wood-stain.

Thanks to all for encouraging me to redo my tar and gravel instead of changing it to another material. And as tempting as it is to start on the yards, I'll try not to before I add plumbing to the other side of the house.
I don't care if the sun don't shine. I do my drinkin in the evening time, when I'm in Las Vegas...

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:39 pm

post some photos of your progress :)

my regret list is pretty long, but oh well :?

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:05 am

Joe wrote:my regret list is pretty long, but oh well :?

That's the fun of home ownership, eh?

My latest regret: I regret deciding to paint my own house. After spending $1800 on paint/sprayer/supplies and getting done with everything except all the eaves/trim (all of which required sanding and re-priming), I decided I couldn't do all that in the summer heat. So I hire someone to do the trim; the lowest bid was for another $1800. Total cost: $3600.

The same contractor told me he could have painted my entire house, using the same brand/quality of paint, for $3500.

:roll:
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner
Perkins Realty Group

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:32 am

it took me parts of three summers to paint. we hand rolled the entire house. the biggest issues was prep. it had not been properly prepped from the last couple jobs. scraping and priming the carport ceiling took two weeks. under the eves prepping was pretty tough.

now I want to change the color :roll:

I wish we had completed the interior before the exterior, but we felt the house was a real eyesore on the street.

I regret paying an architect $7000 for remodeling plans I'll never use :(

fwmodern
Modern Fan

Postby fwmodern » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:59 am

Lots of regrets here, too.

I wish that I had flooded the roof prior to having it re-done so I could have spotted all of the low spots/lagoons over the master bedroom and living area. Then we could have addressed those before hand and avoided three years of leaks/additional drains/ceiling repairs.

I wish that I had realized that the pool remodeling people dug up the french drain system in my courtyard and demanded that they put it back in, prior to putting the new pool deck in.

I wish that I had tested all of the lights before replacing the ceilings.

I wish that I had more knowledge of the workings of the intercom system and had not removed it.

I wish that I had more money and could actually finish my house!

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:11 am

I wish we had gone with cork floorking instead of maple in the bedrooms and living room.

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:04 pm

I wish we had not gone with black floors (while having white cats)

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:35 pm

i wish the moving vans never showed up.
it was so nice the first couple of weekends empty.
we just had a pick-up full of important beginnings. little bit of favorite
kitchen, some outfits .t-p ,toothpaste. an empty garage...

LeanaJo
Modern Fan

Postby LeanaJo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:12 am

I'd loved to have my house a more retro-vintage look. But we are only renting this house and will be moving to Florida next year.

Maybe in the apartment we'll be moving into, I'll make it vintage-retro looking. We are getting a unfurnished one and furnish it ourselves. Should be a lot of fun.
Leana Jo H.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”