Spray-on Foam Roof in Los Angeles?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

bitzala
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Spray-on Foam Roof in Los Angeles?

Postby bitzala » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:53 am

After conducting a LL search, I discovered that this question has been asked, but I didn't find any answers, at least not yet.

We're looking for a spray-on Polyurethane roof company in the L.A. area.

Edward Watkins in Orange County no longer does these roofs. He turned his accounts over to a company in Chino (Arizon/Arithane). Unfortunately, they have 40 foot trucks and need easy access to your home from the street. We are off of a very steep, very narrow road with limited access.

Arithane tells us that other companies use 50 gallon drums, rather than the big trucks. But, they've been cagey about giving out referrals. Every time I call, the guy wants to chat, but won't give me any names and tells me to call again. (Most odd.)

Does anyone know of anybody out there in L.A. doing foam roofs with 50 gallon drums?

Any input is most appreciated!

b

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Foam Roof

Postby Josquin » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:48 pm

In 1994 our house had a Thermo shield Urethane Foam Roof Sprayed on by Thermo Shield Urethane Roofing & Insulation Co., Inc.. with a P.O. Box in Burbank. The company's last telephone number was 818-846-8393. The last contact was with a Tom Lemasters. I don't know anything about this company. The previous homeowners had the roof installed. The U.S. distributor is SPM THERMO-SHIELD® INC Route 2 Box 208A, Custer, SD 57730-0208, USA, Tel: 1-605-673-3201 Fax: 1-605-673-3200. Their email account is spm@thermoshield.com. I'm sorry for the delay, I had difficulty finding the information.

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:31 pm

Josquin-- wow, I almost missed your post. Thank you so much! I really appreciate your taking the time to check on this. I'll call them in the morning.

b

simplebot
Modern Fan

Postby simplebot » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:05 pm

Josquin

Arithane

Postby Josquin » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:32 pm

Simplebot,
Who was your contractor for the Arithane roof?

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:19 pm

simplebot-- Arithane is the company in Chino that I called. Unfortunately, their trucks are 40 foot long and can't access our house properly, because of our steep, narrow driveway.

Josquin-- Thermo-shield came out this week. I think they will probably do the job, but am waiting for a quote. Thanks, again.

b

paulsomm
Modern Socialite

EnergyTech Inc.

Postby paulsomm » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:18 pm

So I contacted these folks after talking to Airthane (they won't do a roof under 10000 sq/ft). Their product seems to be on the money for my flat roof application, but does anyone have any recent experience with them or a contractor who works with their product?

Paul

P.S. My roof doesn't leak water just heat and cold.

paulsomm
Modern Socialite

EnergyTech Inc.

Postby paulsomm » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:19 pm

Sorry

Energy Tech Inc.

Dick Villacres
530-245-0700

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:43 am

Hi, Paul--

I am in the process of collecting bids from SPF people in our area.

I called the manufacturer of SPF to get the names of people who are reliable:

1) D & L Roofing 661-816-1312

2) Wiltshire Urethane (Mike) 909-599-1217

Good luck!

bitzala

paulsomm
Modern Socialite

Quotes?

Postby paulsomm » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:45 am

Can you give me a ballpark per sq/ft? My roof does not need to be replaced because of water problems. I really want to get some insulation up there. So I don't want to go through the tearoff problem. You can let me know privately if you wish.

I will also be calling them tommorrow.

Cheers

Paul

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite
Location: Los Angeles/Highland Park CA (Native of Dallas, TX)

Heat gain!

Postby Chrisgreen » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:44 am

Josquin

Foam Roof

Postby Josquin » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:22 pm

ChrisGreen,
The foam roof would really help with the heat gain. I owned a house in Tujunga without any insulation in the walls or roof. The previous owner had put a foam roof on the house and it performed great. On those 100F days in the summer, the house would remain about 20F cooler than outside, until the western sun hit the uninsulated westside of the house to turn it into an oven.

paulsomm
Modern Socialite

Took the plunge

Postby paulsomm » Tue May 09, 2006 11:53 am

So we went ahead with the foam roofing. The process was very painless and the contractor did a comprehensive job. My roof now sparkles white in the sunlight. Hopefully it live up to the promise and help to keep things a bit cooler around here, but with the June gloom setting in a month early we probably won't know until late July.

We used D&L roofing, they came in cheaper than Wiltshire.

Paul

rambling
Modern Socialite

Postby rambling » Tue May 16, 2006 6:55 am

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Tue May 16, 2006 9:51 pm

Hi, Rambling--

We have not followed through with an SPF roof yet, but I can answer a couple of your questions.

RE: Fascia: I was told that they taper the foam down towards the fascia, so you can keep existing fascia.

RE: Cost-- it depends on the size of your house. I was told to expect to pay around $3.60 a square foot per one inch of SPF. It would be more if they have to remove your existing roof.

For most reliable info, call one of the names I mentioned above.

Good luck!

b

Josquin

Foam Roof

Postby Josquin » Wed May 17, 2006 10:40 am

Here is a link to some pictures of my old house with a foam roof. http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5444 You can see that the fascia is flush with the roof line.

paulsomm
Modern Socialite

Install

Postby paulsomm » Wed May 17, 2006 10:45 am

Basically they replace your edge metal and this may add 1/2 to 3/4" to the profile of your fascia boards. Not noticeable in my opinion. Then they spray the foam directly over your existing roof if it is in good enough shape. The process also covers all of the flashing points, chimmney, plumbing vents. This allows for a seamless non-permeabale roof. After the foam has been applied they taper the edges so you don't even see the foam. Then an epoxy coat and granules are applied to further seal the surface. The finished roof is sparkly white. We have had some hot days at this point and we have noticed a big difference.

Paul

rambling
Modern Socialite

Postby rambling » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:07 am

Thanks everyone for the great info! I'm relieved that my fascia concerns shouldn't add significantly to the cost of a new roof. Both D&L Roofing and Thermashield are coming within the next couple of days to give us estimates. I'll be calling Wiltshire next.

Bitzala, at one point, you were also considering Thermashield, which was also recommended by Asastre in another thread. Did their quote end up being significantly higher than the others or were they out of the running for some other reason?

Paulsomm, it's great to hear the new roof made a big difference. How thick a foam did you choose?

Thanks again everyone for all your helpful input!

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite

foam roof vs. insulation

Postby Chrisgreen » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:27 pm

Which will help more with my flat roof house -- putting insulation into the walls and ceiling space (if there is any) or the exterior foam roof coating?

This summer seems to be turning out a lot hotter than last summer. I gotta do something!

tgroove
Modern Groupie

foam roof insulation

Postby tgroove » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:17 pm

rambling
Modern Socialite

D&L Roofing foam roof

Postby rambling » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:35 am

JXBrown
Modern Master

How much foam?

Postby JXBrown » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:14 am

We've had Dave out to look at our roof. My husband wants 2" of foam (bad week to go shopping for a cooler roof....it's like shopping for a sofa when you have sore feet), but we have 4000 sq-ft of roof over 2000 sq-ft of house with our deep overhangs. Has anyone just put foam over the house and not the overhangs?

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite

Foam Roof

Postby Chrisgreen » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:07 pm

Thanks for the testimonials. I did call Dave and I'm considering getting the foam roof installed, but budget issues are holding me up. I'm on a tight budget with my house and I wish there was a cheaper solution. But I may end up doing it. Another idea I heard was to simply rip off the roof I have, put regular insulation in the ceiling, and re-roof with the traditional material. This would be (hopefully) about half the cost of the foam roof, but I'm not sure if it's as effective.

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:33 am

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:38 am

We did the torch down and are really happy with it. It is a really light grey. Our budget kept us from the foam because we also had to do a mansard, which we did in standing seam metal. (Nothing like having to basically replace two roofs. Any money saved by not needing as much square feet for the mansard is eaten up by extra labor costs--workers need to get up and down a ladder for each piece). Anyway, I think the torch down was about $7000 for a 1900 square foot house and a two car garage. The garage is detached, but not technically so because the roof-covered walkway connects the house and the garage, which may have added a little extra square footage.

tgroove
Modern Groupie

foam and other roofs

Postby tgroove » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:56 am

The modified bitumin is aliitle cheaper, amd has more potential seams to leak, But adding insulation under it can raise the price by 9,000.

Foam Roofer Dave
Modern Groupie

Spray Applied Foam Roofing

Postby Foam Roofer Dave » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:06 am

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:58 pm

We ate lunch outside, but it was uncomfortably hot, so we decided to retreat into our pleasantly cool, foam-roofed house. What an improvement!

Thanks Dave!

mistylovesella
Modern Groupie

Your new foam roof

Postby mistylovesella » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:53 pm

Josquin

Pictures of Foam Roof

Postby Josquin » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:58 pm

Here are a few pictures of D and L foaming my roof. They finished it a few weeks ago. On a recent 95 F afternoon the house temperature reached a high of 77 F without airconditioning. Our house has no insulation and single pane floor to cieling windows throughout. Great work guys!
Prep work removing existing gravel cover and replacing flashing.
Spraying Foam
More Foam
Elastomeric coating and reflective sand.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”