Spray-on Foam Roof in Los Angeles?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

bitzala
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby bitzala » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:29 pm

Hi, Josquin-- your roof looks good! Glad to see D & L worked out for you. I'll keep them in mind for the future, when our roof is ready to be replaced.

bitz

puzzle
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby puzzle » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:44 pm

I am looking at buying a small vacation home in the desert. So far I've found two I like (and can afford), one with a low pitched white rock roof, and the other with a flat foam roof.

From reading this thread, I gather that foam is good for insulating a house (obviously very important in desert homes, and ones without an attic at that). But I've never seen one in person so I'm wondering how they stack up in terms of durability / maintenance and visual appeal as compared to a rock roof?

And this might be a stupid question, but does stuff get stuck in the foam? I know it's windy in the desert - I have visions of flying debris piercing the foam and adhering itself to the roof. :P

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Foam Roof

Postby Josquin » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:30 pm

The foam is covered with an elastomeric coating and a reflective sand that can withstand the weight of a person walking on it without puncturing the surface. We have had our roof for over two years without any required maintenance. Loose reflective coating may blow off in a good wind storm, but that will occur with rock, too. Our foam roof is white and looks much cleaner than our previous rock roof.

puzzle
Modern Socialite

Postby puzzle » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:12 pm

Thank you so much for the quick response. :) I'll be looking at both houses tomorrow and I was hoping to go in armed with enough info to make a quick decision if need be. I know loose rock can be a problem with older rock roofs, but did not think about the debris that can get caught in the rocks, too (and it's white rock, so probably would look dirty faster than the coated foam you describe).

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”