50's lamp rewiring-

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mod Diva
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

50's lamp rewiring-

Postby Mod Diva » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:14 pm

Hello out there-
I just bought this great lamp but it is not working. I was wondering if any of you DIYers have tackled a project like this? It's a little more complicated than just buying a single socket lamp kit I'm assuming. The wiring itself is getting quite brittle-Image
Any suggestions??
Thanks kids!!
Cheers,
Mod Diva

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:36 pm

You can buy lamp rewiring kits at the Big Orange Box. It's quite a simple task. You may need to replace the switch.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:02 pm

One of the most common faults is that the contact in the bottom of the lamp socket becomes depressed (don't we all, sometimes ?) so that the tip of the bulb doesn't make contact with it. With the lamp unplugged (!) use something to snag it and pull it upward a little.

I have not rewired through those swivel fittings before -- but it can surely be done. This interesting fixture looks like it would require some tricky fishing to draw new wires throughout, which would include disconnecting some of the fittings, I imagine -- but it would be worth it !

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”