KC Drummond Revere Home

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Jerad
Modern Master

KC Drummond Revere Home

Postby Jerad » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:50 pm

Hello All,
I'm a new MCM owner taking part in some major work on my own house. I bought a Drummond Revere Quality Home in mid January.
check out my progress .......www.drummondhome.blogspot.com

SDR lets see how quick you are on the draw, sorry I couldn't post quicker I've had a whirlwind past few days. I'm still cleaning under my fingernails after today........I had the pleasure of breaking out my concrete kitchen floor tearing out the existing drain stack and replumbing the sewer line. I got two play with some mudd that kinda looked like peanut butter but somehow I don't think it was :cry:

I must give credit to Moderns-r-us for the term restovation. I like his definition much better than my own. Well I must go and rest up for I have another long day tomorrow framing and plumbing. I will post some new pics early in the week-showing current progress.

Jerad

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:57 pm

Hah ! Two hours later -- or is it three ? (I can't make sense of why posts are recorded at different times -- on my computer, at least.) You're probably fast asleep by now.

Anyway, welcome to the board proper. I'll thank friend mru, too -- for introducing your blog via the KC Modern site. It's one big happy family, now -- which reminds me to congratulate you and your new fiancee.

We'll be watching your progress with sympathy and eagerness. The progress on your house, that is; how you and the Missus make out is your own affair !

Salud -- Stephen :cheers: :cheers:

ps Thanks for adding the e-model to your blog -- it helps in understanding what's going on in this interesting house. Perhaps because we have a shortage of architects on LL, we seldom see drawings. Maybe that'll be improved ?

I'll add an old section drawing of what I believe is the same design -- let me know if it isn't. . .
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:30 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:45 am

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:55 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:26 pm

Uh-huh [nyuk nyuk]. . .Thank-yuh, thank-yuh [huh] :roll:

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:51 am

SDR that is a section of the Revere Home, did you get that from a magazine? Sorry to disapoint everyone, the sliding panels are an extremely simple yet practical design. The panels themselfes are just 1/4" thick (masonite I believe) and they slide in a simple groove. There is no fancy counterweight or spring system just a simple sliding panel. They have a thumb-lock to hold them in the open position. It is a very simple yet effective means to really change the way the house is viewed in a matter of minutes.

I will be adding some more images of the model as I get more built. When I get it to a finished state I can probably upload the entire model. I built it in a program called sketch-up who offer a free viewer so that anyone cold download my model and do their own walkthrough etc.. I will be adding some more pics to the blog hopefully tonight or at the latest tomorrow.

Jerad

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:06 pm

cool house, love the old tile floor!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:19 pm

Aren't they fine ? Can they be saved ?

The image I posted is from a 1953 book, "Before You Buy a House," by John Hancock Callender, AIA. The book was one of many that
promoted up-to-date architecture to the new wave of post-war home-builders/buyers. There is a three-page spread on a 9-house
Runnells/Drummond group in Prairie Village, KS.
Here are the pages, hastily photographed; I get better reproduction with my 2mp camera than with my new scanner. . .!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:07 pm

The forward of "Before You Build a House" might be worth posting; it gives the overview of the program which included the house shown.
The last paragraph of the first page -- and the last sentence of that paragraph -- will make us smile wryly at the optimism of the architects (and the age ?). . .
Would that it had happened that way !

Note that the author, after extolling the virtues of the architect-designed builder house, illustrates one of his own designs,
with the caption stating that "A custom-designed house, to fit your site and your family's needs, will give lasting satisfaction."
Author's percs ?

SDR[/img]
Last edited by SDR on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:11 pm

SDR, thanks for the scanned images. MRU showed me that book a few weeks ago. I am currently tracking down all of the various publications the house was published in, its going to be a slow process.
The floor tile was not salvagable unfortunately. The majority of the tile had cracked and crumbled and in the largest bedroom the previous owners had glued down carpet over the tile (orange shag). I liked the tile but I couldn't talk my fiancee into it.
My house is in the northwest corner of the cul-de-sac in that scaned image. The next nice day I am going to take a panoramic of the neighborhood to show the group of Drummonds.

Jerad

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:18 pm

SDR
The foreword you posted is interesting. John Hancock Callender was born in Kansas City, and his name came up earlier today when I was researching the Revere Quality Homes Program.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:12 pm

I didn't know that -- so he would have been more than a litttle familiar with the Drummond homes. Are there other groups of these houses in the area ?

As a designer/cabinetmaker, I suppose I'm guilty of over-detailing; glad to hear the sliding Masonite panels are so simply handled. 1/4" plywood would have been lighter in weight -- but nothing beats the flat smooth surface of "tempered" hardboard. Are your panels the ones with a decorative square on them -- or is that the stationary spandrel I'm looking at ?

Isn't it great to have those early photos? I always look for original ("contemporary" or vintage) images because you're sure of seeing the designs as they were originally intended; in addition, there is an atmosphere that takes me back to "the day." That's a Kaiser or Fraser sedan in the first photo -- I can recall seeing those on the street when I was in grade school. . .

SDR

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:41 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:20 pm

Thanks, mru -- I'm trying that but getting mondo moire' patterns in the halftones. I've been doing JPEGs -- is that the right format ? (I think that's the only thing that will post here -- and elsewhere ? Or is that wrong. . .)

SDR

hoodlam
Modern Master

Postby hoodlam » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:11 am

I moved my wife up to KC this past weekend.

I must say that the excitement and activity surrounding the modern architecture in KC has me very excited to be moving.

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:29 pm

Hoodlam welcome to KC, send me an email if you have any questions about the area.

I met with another Drummond owner today about doing some work for her. Her first home was a Drummond Revere home then she moved her family to their current Drummond. The house was designed by Francie Drummond. It was built in 55 and they have been in the house for 47 years. It is very large home that they have added on to a couple of time but the previous architects were very sensitive to the original character. The women had no idea of the resurgance of MCM, she was thrilled.

Jerad
www.drummondhome.blogspot.com (updated recently)

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:26 pm

I was wondering if any of you have had luck tracking down any Pecky Cypress. I need to find some to replace a few areas on my home that is in rough shape. I was also curious if any of you have found terrazo tiles that are cheaper than the Fritz tile versions.

Thanks
Jerad
www.drummondhome.blogspot.com (updated recently showing construction documents)

MoneyPitModern
Modern Master

Postby MoneyPitModern » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:18 pm

You've got a great house, Jerad, and you're doing justice to it.

For terrazzo tile, have you checked out Wausau? In addition to tile, they make all the stair treads and other accessories that terrazzo contractors use when they're doing poured terrazzo floors.

http://www.wausautile.com/index.cfm/cho ... intro/id/5

The exterior wood on my house, what there is of it, is cypress. After 50 years, it still looks great, without cracking, etc. I needed to match some, and before I found a local hardwood distributor that carried it, I ran across a few Louisiana sources on the web. They all say they carry pecky cypress. It has such a great look, and is seldom seen anymore.

http://dogtrot-general-store.com/lumber/cypress.htm
http://www.jimmys-cypress.com/our_produ ... boards.htm
http://www.cajuncypress.com/PeckyCypress/

I'm a KC native, and lived in Prairie Village before moving to Chicago in the very early 80s. In the late 70s, I wanted to buy what was called at the time a "Prairie Village contemporary," but my then-significant other would have nothing but traditional. I'm happy to say that I now have a significantly better other, and we've got a terrific MCM home in the Chicago suburbs.

Best of luck with your home. You must be very proud of it.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:33 pm

Jerad -- Donald D would be proud of you ! What you're doing to his house is breathing new life into it, I believe. I like your choices. . .

It must be a pleasure to be a part -- and a lively part -- of your little neighborhood. Keep up the good work.

SDR

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:39 pm

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:19 pm

I was wondering if any of you have some good advice for two light fixtures?
I am having trouble finding an entry light for my front door. I am also on the lookout for a light that will go above my staircase, I believe I am going to go with a wall mount fixture on the wall above the stairs. The wall that will hold both fixtures goes from inside to outside (it is pecky cypress on the ext. and int.). I will take some pictures in the next few days of the two color schemes I am working on for the house.

Jerad
www.drummondhome.blogspot.com[/img]

MoneyPitModern
Modern Master

Postby MoneyPitModern » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:47 pm

Jerad, what size range do you think would be appropriate for your two locations? How much light do you require, fixtures that turn night into day, or more atmospheric lighting?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:48 pm

Sounds like a great "indoor-outdoor continuity" opportunity, whatever the choice. . .!

SDR

tig64105
Modern Master

Postby tig64105 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:00 am

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:11 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:18 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:33 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:49 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:51 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”