KC Drummond Revere Home

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

googieagog
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby googieagog » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:01 pm

Here's a vote, for what it's worth, to plant something native to your area to create your sceen. I planted a row of 22 red cedars six years ago, to block a neighbor's "farm light" that shines into my house every night. The seedlings were 3'' tall when planted, and now are 10' plus. The soil here is solid clay. My neighbors with their dying arbor vite marvel at how well the red cedars are doing. It's very simple -- native trees evolved to grow under local conditions. Go native, and you can't go wrong.

Your house, by the way, is beautiful and you are doing a fantastic job giving it new life.

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:37 am

Well thanks for the tips you guys, heres a picture of my destructed back yard. The blue you see to the left is my pool, the white house straight ahead is the one I would like to screen. Let me know if any of you have more tips. I'm working on the landscape plan to ask you masters any other plant advice.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:56 am

"Better Living Through Modernism"

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:47 pm

Wow MRU we are on the same page.......I need to scan my first layout in just to show you how close our two versions are. Anyway....I've kind of got a good idea of the layout etc......its very close to yours the only thing I don't have is the tall screen off sweet autumn clematis blocking the view to the north... But I like were your going. This is worth a six pack of boulevard next time we get together - the name of all these plants just overwhelms me when I start searching etc....While I was home at lunch I got the opportunity to go up and take some aerial shots of my lot check them out......http://picasaweb.google.com/jerad.foster/Aerial
Friends with "cherry pickers" are great to have.

I updated the blog this morning for those of you who want more pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jerad.foste ... 6312904626[/img]

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:39 pm

I call that the 'Thomas Church' plan!

What is the Concrete washout basin? Is that where the concrete trucks can clean out their load and dump excess material? Did the city make you put that on the drawings?

You didn't cut down that tree in the front did you?

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:46 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:07 am

MRU ......I don't know whcih tree in front you are talking about. I cut down the crab apple and the cedar tree near my front walk. But I left the large pine and enormous oak of course.

Jerad

vlopez
Modern Socialite

Landscape design

Postby vlopez » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:56 am

If Stephen gets one, I get one too!

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:58 pm

Speaking of concrete w/ the negative joint planted...has anyone had success with this in my region. I can just see the dried up plant after a hot August day. I've always loved the look but I was afraid I would spend a fortune watering.

Jerad

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:01 pm

Speaking of concrete w/ the negative joint planted...has anyone had success with this in my region. I can just see the dried up plant after a hot August day. I've always loved the look but I was afraid I would spend a fortune watering.

Jerad

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:18 pm

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:12 am

If it's shaded moss works well.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:19 am

On the East Coast I have seen Creeping Thyme used, but their summers are less severe.

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:19 pm

Well here's the latest plan I've been working on. What do you guys think? I'm thinking of using 2x redwood formwork and leaving it. I'm worried about the voids being plant material. The majority of this pad is in direct sunlight. And if I go the route with some rock like I was planning for the entry, I think the rocks will end up in the pool.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:45 pm

I just see a red x.

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:34 pm

Udo Min
Modern Master

Swimming

Postby Udo Min » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:09 am

Can we come by for a swim today!
Must be about 80 outside.
Let us know when we can bring by the jello infused w/ everclear for the grand opening party!
E-

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:10 am

I will make the kabobs!

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Appraisal doesn't sound like its going good so it may be a boone's farm kinda party...........Come on over E the water's nice and toasty..........whenever you guys wanna come over is good. When do you wanna do the KCMOD patio party?

Jerad

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:41 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Appraising

Postby Stephen » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:03 pm

Appraising is tricky business and as much as appraisiers (and homeowners) would like to go by "gut feel" -- it's just not going to happen, especially in the case of a bank appraiser where there's a lot less lattitude as the bank may review the appraisal and question the value if the appraiser tries to get a little too creative in justifying a higher valuation.

With that said, there are some things you can do. Perhaps the easiest is asking the appraiser to go the extra mile and looking at some comp houses that are done like yours and in your style (even if they're not in your neighborhood or same size) and compare their selling prices to see if they carry a premium. That way, the appraiser can justify an "appeal" premium to your house versus similar houses. The other thing he or she can do is simply give you a higher "condition" rating versus the comps and justify it by listing the work that has been done and it's overall appealing nature.
Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:49 am

Bring on the pbr..........closing thurs afternoon. The appraiser is not invited to the party...........he wouldn't even compare my house to the identical one that sold down the street last summer, because I turned the three small bedrooms into two average size rooms. Oh and did I mention that mine is renovated to current plumbing and electrical codes and the fact that the other home has not been renovated........not to mention the new 900 sq.ft. garage or the pool. I politely told the bank that they were no good sob's for not letting me provide one or two independant appraisels from my area who are mcm savvy.

Oh.....and I had three seperate people walk up and either leave a note or offer to buy the house.

Now that I got the rant over...........I'm throwing a f the appraiser party.......when can you kc guys make it (or any of the rest of you who would like to attend)

Jerad
www.drummondhome.blogpspot.com

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:46 pm

Well here's the latest............it may be a f the bank party. Seems the bank deemed to not approve the appraisal on the house. They thought it was too high even though it is in better shape etc. Meeting w/ the Bank President tomorrow whom we have done a lot of business with, (bringing in other clents of ours for home loans ironically) I can't wait until I sell this place just to show them what its worth. I'm getting extremely sick of hearing its only 800 sq. ft. actually its 1150 but for some reason they won't count the lower level since its below grade.........I understand the logic and I know all about how and why it doesn't count. But this guy today had the nerve to say well my paperwork doesn't show the basement as finished. It was all I could do to tell him that he should check the appraiser's stuff........because although he didn't take pictures of the interior (stupid if you ask me) he did take measurements. Who knows how this will turn out...apparently the bank is skittish because of the economy and they are cracking down on over inflated mcmansion appraisals. Kinda puts a sour taste in your mouth, after all the work. Moving on to another bank may be an option but it isn't practical since the construction loan and our company's line of credit is through them. I'm off to have a beer and try and relax, hope the rest of you are having better luck out there. Guess the lesson is not to try and have the nicest house on the street unless your independantly wealthy.

Jerad

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:19 pm

I have one beer left for you Jerad:

Can we come by to admire your space & lift your spirits? Couldn't make it last weekend. We had to finish seeding before the spring rains come...

Wonder who you are banking with?

Seems like life & loans are sort of a marketing game.

Would be interesting to gather all the data on mid century modern sales in the state & re-invent the definition of modernism to the loan appraisers.

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout ... egory=2036

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:41 pm

The steam is cooling......I'm ready whenever you guys wanna come over....I thought this weekend would be good but it looks like its going to rain. Maybe one evening next week. I tried calling on sat. to stop bye but you guys must have been busy.

Jerad

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:46 am

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:49 am

chrizow
Modern Groupie

Postby chrizow » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:40 pm

hi everyone, new poster here...

i must say - great house! i love mcm homes (and modern of nearly all eras, really) and the ones in prairie village are great. there aren't nearly as many of these homes in KC as i would like! i drive around NE JoCo and gaze longingly at these homes frequently. one day i hope to own one of these beauties or, failing that, attempt to build something similar on my own.

you should have another party at your place!

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:42 am

Welcome to the board. I've had too long of an absence myself. If I'm out in the yard on your next trip through the neighborhood stop on bye. I'm hoping to have a party in the fall, I really doubt I'm going to have time this summer. I'll make sure and post on here so you can attend.

I've been updating the blog still with the latest progress, although there hasn't been much as of late. Its really nice having the majority of these projects done, and being able to enjoy the pool this summer. I would say its hot here but like the people from Arizona say ours is a wet heat :?

I just have been mailed some pics from stlmodern, so I'll try and upload those for you all to see. It will be interesting to see someone else's photos of the place.

Jerad
www.drummondhome.blogspot.com

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:24 pm

It's about time STLModern mailed those pics to you. Jerad, haven't you been waiting for those for three months now!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”