Redwood restoration/finishing/maintenance

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Redwood restoration/finishing/maintenance

Postby classic form » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:01 pm

I pose this question to anyone that has experience with redwood T & G. What have you done to your redwood ceilings or walls during restoration to protect them or finish them? Have you used wax or oil or...? Has anyone here sanded and refinished? What about cleaning hand dirt and oils? What type of finish do you recommend for kitchens? I have looked at the California redwood associations web site but would like some real world input. Anyone? Somebody hep me!
http://www.calredwood.org/ref/pdf/intfinish.pdf

Jamal
Modern Socialite

Postby Jamal » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:24 pm

our house has been painted and solid stained over for many years. there is redwood underneath. so i decided i would try to strip a grate cover that hides the gas meter (visions of grandeur: if it went well - we could strip the entire house and recover the redwood T&G siding...)

after a couple of hours of stripper - MUCH sanding was still required to get the stain/paint off. It was very rough on the wood. But it was beautiful. I just couldn't imagine doing that to the old house....

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:17 pm

I really wish I knew the answer to this question. It seems like it would be a much-needed piece of information and advice. I'm an (interior) woodworker, yet I don't have the first notion of the proper reply, perhaps because redwood has come to be a mostly exterior material, now. [In that application, it can be expected to turn darker and darker over time; old redwood-sided buildings, in Mill Valley, for instance, can look almost black where fully exposed to sun and rain over many decades.]

Interior softwoods which have never been finished, or are at least quite "dry," could be sanded -- by hand, with perhaps 150 grit paper on a padded block, in the direction of the grain only -- to refresh them, after which any of the substances mentioned could conceivably be used. Wood which already has a noticable surface coat can be refreshed with some of the same substances, making the color a little darker and richer -- the same, used on raw wood, will require much more product and will turn color much more noticably. And, any finish on wood will resist soiling more than raw wood, and (often) make cleaning it easier.

Well, that's something. Now -- what are the benefits of particular finishes, on redwood ?

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:53 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:10 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:15 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:26 am

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:22 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:45 pm

I'm just crazy enough to set up a bevel cutter on a smallish router (using a fence rather than a bearing guide, to assure a smooth new bevel) and trim all the paint off at x inches a minute. . . Wear a dust mask (at the least !) if you do this -- and not in the living room ! If the paint is lead-bearing, better let a pro handle this operation, too.

We'll save that cedar yet !

As for Classicform's original post (remember that ?) he asked first about "protecting [his wood]. . . during restoration"; if that means protecting it in place, the best way I've seen is to mask it with butcher's paper and wide blue painter's tape (which is much less likely to leave residue or otherwise damage fine surfaces). Or wasn't that the question ?

Anyone ?

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:12 am

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:59 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”