Looking for MCMs in Atlanta

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

jeffro108
Modern Fan

Looking for MCMs in Atlanta

Postby jeffro108 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:33 pm

We have been searching for months now to find a good quality MCM in the Atlanta area. So far we have run across the NorthCrest neighborhood which we love, but have only found a smattering of MCMs around town. Anyone know of some other neighborhoods/areas to check out?

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:21 am

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Keke
Modern Socialite

Postby Keke » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:51 am

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:19 pm

atsmith
Modern Groupie

Postby atsmith » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:37 pm

New here . . . I was going to mention the same neighborhood, so I suppose I am no real help. . .but . . .I can "third" it. We moved in across Briarlake from Amberwood almost a year ago and are renovating as we go. One thing that is great about the area is that there are still some original owners left (our seller was) which makes it very interesting. . .

Castleway Rd, in Amberwood, has some great ones. I rarely see any for sale signs though :(

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:12 am

There are around 2 dozen original owners in Northcrest - only a handful are still active in the Garden Club - occasionally someone shows up at a Neighborhood Association meeting. I try to talk to them as much as I can go get the neighborhood history - it's very interesting to listen to the differing memories and perspective on historical neighborhood events and people.

There are some other small pockets of MCMs - off Shallowford Road there's a neighborhood called Flair Knoll that has a handful - one really spectacular one overlooking the lake.

Look around Chamblee - there are hidden pockets through there - stretching from Tucker across to Dunwoody. I know there are scattered neighborhoods in Cobb County too.

-- John

Philip K. Dick

VMacek
Modern Socialite

Postby VMacek » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:22 am

I really like the Northcrest neighborhood - last I looked (a couple years ago) they were in the low 200s - little more than what the Levittownish boxes in my north Decatur neighborhood are going for!
This city isn't big on MCM, but as it boomed in the 50s and 60s a number of individual gems popped up among the ubiquitous brick hip-roofed ranches. A neighborhood in the Briarcliff area has streets named after cars - there's a beauty of a place on Valiant Drive (if I owned it I'd need to buy the Signet convertible of my dreams!)

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:47 pm

Philip K. Dick

lars4mf
Modern Groupie

MCM Pockets

Postby lars4mf » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:37 am

I just bought on Milmar dr. One street of houses built and designed by the same achitect/building team in 1958. There is one house for sale and another that is being flipped. And there are several MCMs spread out throughout the Margaret Mitchell neighborhoods over on the west side of 75. You have to just travel all the streets. There are 4 Butterfly Roofs over here that I have located. Something of a rarity. Everybody talks about Northcrest but you can't beat the location off of Moore's Mill. Try driving down Margaret Mitchell Dr. and Ridge Valley Road/ Ridge Valley Ct. And Here on Milmar. Then head down West Westley towards Buckhead and right at 75 there is a Butterfly Roof Compound. I love Amberwood but this is the Next Best thing.

valery
Modern Socialite

Postby valery » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:12 pm

Do you have a link to any of these houses that you're talking about? I did a search for houses on Milmar, but nothing came up. And the only houses that came up for the other roads you mentioned were McMansions.

luther
Modern Master

Postby luther » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:25 am

Here are a couple from the area within a few miles of each other. These are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Not MCM, but has midcentury appeal. Search MLS# 3540791:

MCM, built in 1967:

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:50 am

Hey Luther, that second one has great appeal.

I've been in a couple of those homes off Milmar - it seems like it was really noisy over there, with the interstate in the backyard, but there are some cool looking houses - I need to go back with the camera. Even with the proximity of Spaghetti Junction to Northcrest, it's relatively quiet over here - during the leafless winter, the white noise and pollution coming from the interstates is noticeably louder/stronger, but not from inside the house. I guess it's the same anywere near the perimeter.

I went and looked at a Robert Green listing over in Sandy Springs that had I285 in the backyard - that was almost unbearable and explained why the house was on the market so long - the cypress exterior has now been painted so it looks "better" I guess. I'm just glad it went to someone rather than being torn down for another McMansion.

-- John

Philip K. Dick

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”