MCM lighting sources: ball lights and sconces

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:14 am

For the windows, I'd use blinds that inset leaving the trim of the window showing. If you really are partial to drapes, then going ceiling to floor and enough beyond to trick the eye into thinking the windows are bigger would work. But myself, I like the architectural details to show. Corner windows may at first seem odd, but they do make rooms more functional. furniture placement is easier. And it leaves large walls for art. I am currently living is an actual MCM with walls of glass. And a lot of pretty good art stored in closets because there are few walls. Don't get me started on where am I going to put books!

KAdams4458
Modern Groupie

Postby KAdams4458 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:12 pm

egads wrote:For the windows, I'd use blinds that inset leaving the trim of the window showing. If you really are partial to drapes, then going ceiling to floor and enough beyond to trick the eye into thinking the windows are bigger would work. But myself, I like the architectural details to show. Corner windows may at first seem odd, but they do make rooms more functional. furniture placement is easier. And it leaves large walls for art. I am currently living is an actual MCM with walls of glass. And a lot of pretty good art stored in closets because there are few walls. Don't get me started on where am I going to put books!

We're way off the topic of lights, but...

My wife made the drapes too narrow. I knew that was going to happen, but somehow couldn't convey that before she started. I hate the curtain rods, too, but we had them left over from apartment dwelling. No harm done, since everyone seems to end up playing with window treatments over and over until they get it right. (There doesn't really seem to be a real formula for success.)

There is actually a place inside of the window frames for those roll-down shades, but they are inaccessible since a previous owner added another window inside to improve heat retention. None of the corner window pairs, which run nearly floor to ceiling, are even remotely egress windows, as they should be. The whole thing leaves me wondering if those casement windows that have blinds built in would be acceptable. I have my doubts, and sort of hate the idea of losing the original aluminum framed windows, but they have to go. I wonder if anyone makes a good modern window with a raw aluminum frame anymore.

Art with a ton of glass walls would be a tough one. I never even though of that when we were looking at the post and beam homes that are so full of glass, but I can see how it would be a challenge. Ah, the trials and tribulations of owning a home. :D

Dave
Modern Groupie

Eichler style lights

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:52 pm

Rejuvenation has just introduced an Eichler style globe light on metal stem called the Sfera. Available with 8 or 16 inch globes, and either white or brushed aluminum finish.

[url]http://www.rejuvenation.com/fixshowC532/templates/selection.phtml?[/color]ref=1[/url]

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:28 pm

Another source with a wider variety of choices:
http://www.loveitlighting.com/cgi-bin/g ... /442-3.jpg

wwilber
Modern Master

New source for mid century style pendant fixtures

Postby wwilber » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:08 am

Found these great fixtures from an unlikely source - Menards is a mid west chain of home improvement stores. The finish is listed as oil rubbed bronze, but they are actually satin black with gold in person. Nicely made too, and they come with a black ceiling cap. Available by special order from the link below, and you can't beat the price! I bought two and I don't even have anywhere to put them :)

Of the three styles available, I would personally not recommend the wide shallow one. It leaves too much of the bulb visible in my opinion.

http://shop.menards.com/shop/store.html?vid=20090519001&cid=1404&sortci=price+asc&mpv=childItemsDTO&mpvp=3

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:12 pm

Wow,

Those Menard lights are a direct rip off of Tom Dixon's designs for a fraction of the price!

http://mydeco.com/p/beat-lights-2007-brass-fat/GB0000BACHDO7AH5N27DUBE2ODMTGNT4GKV7UECZ/

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: New source for mid century style pendant fixtures

Postby Joe » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:26 pm

wwilber wrote:Found these great fixtures from an unlikely source - Menards is a mid west chain of home improvement stores. The finish is listed as oil rubbed bronze, but they are actually satin black with gold in person. Nicely made too, and they come with a black ceiling cap. Available by special order from the link below, and you can't beat the price! I bought two and I don't even have anywhere to put them :)

Of the three styles available, I would personally not recommend the wide shallow one. It leaves too much of the bulb visible in my opinion.

http://shop.menards.com/shop/store.html?vid=20090519001&cid=1404&sortci=price+asc&mpv=childItemsDTO&mpvp=3

i just saw some glass ones like that at a recycle center for really cheap

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”