Just shoot me, shoot me now, another great mod screwed up!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
txmod
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Just shoot me, shoot me now, another great mod screwed up!

Postby txmod » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:29 pm

I'm sorry, I had to share my pain. This (formerly) fabulous mod, part of a 1954 "Parade of Homes" program in Houston, dubbed the "fashion time show house" at that time, has been, well, the pictures tell the story. The worst part is I BEGGED these people to sell the house. I could have gotten them plenty for it I am sure. Then they could have gotten whatever stucco laden disaster they wanted.

Since this photo was taken, the clerestory windows have been covered with plywood, I assume awaiting a layer of stucco. Love the upcoming dormer windows, NOT!

I am hoping I have persuaded the owner of this house, who told me they wanted to stucco over the brick, not to do it. Maybe I will gain a small victory....

MoneyPitModern
Modern Master

Postby MoneyPitModern » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:13 pm

Why are people so mindless as to want to make a great looking house like that into a faux McMansion?

Watching "Curb Appeal" on HGTV last night, I was shouting at the idiots on the screen as they painted some of the exterior brick on an MCM house, and covered the rest with faux stone. The clueless "designer" thought it would update the house.

That's not design. If he actually had any talent, he would have found a color scheme that respected the brick, while still giving the somewhat dowdy house a lift. And besides, the money would have been much better spent burying the power wire that connects to the front of the house, which they left in place.

Before:

After:

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:12 pm

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:10 am

Did the brick wall actually undulate as it appears in the first photo?

I feel your pain watching this one. Imagine, going from the Parade of Homes to the Parade of Fools in just one layer of stucco and new pitched roof!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:12 am

[scream]

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:35 am

Well...I personally prefer the original version and certainly would not have done that. But I gotta go with Joe, at least to some extent. Its not THAT bad.

I have actually seen a few houses around here that resemble it and they were built like that back in the 50s or 60s. I have read here that an MCM should not be two stories but there are such specimens around here and while I prefer the sleekness of a one story, the two story ones are better than a lot of places that pass as houses.

It could have been worse. They could have razed it completely and build a classic McMansion or as Mrs Mod says, a garrish summit.

kjansma
Modern Master

Confusion

Postby kjansma » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:02 pm

Is everyone now starting to confuse the original horrifying destruction of the first (Houston) house with the example of the "updating" done on Curb Appeal? Because I would agree that the HGTV example is not too terrible, but there is no excuse for what is happening to that poor house in Houston!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:23 pm

look like mcmansion pillars to me. looks like shite.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:56 pm

Last edited by Stephen on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:57 pm

Last edited by Stephen on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:15 pm

Sorry. I meant Stephen, not Joe as Joe thinks its horrifying.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:26 pm

At least you can tear out the honey oak kitchen in a Cliff May.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:25 pm

in all honesty, the house kinda sucked to begin with. What is it, Colonial Modern. I don't get it.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:45 pm

East Coaster
Modern Groupie

Postby East Coaster » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:25 pm

Looking at it diplomatically, it's not nearly as bad as some disasters I've read about. Anyone familiar with Martha Stewart and her destruction of an architectural gem? Designed by Gordon Bunshaft and built in 1962, flattened in 2005.

http://www.nationaltrust.org/Magazine/a ... 093005.htm
Regards,
Christine 'East Coaster'

"Noble life demands a noble architecture for noble uses of noble men. Lack of culture means what it has always meant: ignoble civilization and therefore imminent downfall. " - Frank Lloyd Wright, 1867-1959

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:01 am

East Coaster
Modern Groupie

Postby East Coaster » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:58 pm

Regards,

Christine 'East Coaster'

"Noble life demands a noble architecture for noble uses of noble men. Lack of culture means what it has always meant: ignoble civilization and therefore imminent downfall. " - Frank Lloyd Wright, 1867-1959

MoneyPitModern
Modern Master

Postby MoneyPitModern » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:40 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”