Kinda OT...Commercial buildings

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Balboni
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Kinda OT...Commercial buildings

Postby Balboni » Wed May 03, 2006 8:49 am

I know this is kinda OT for this forum but I thought some of the fine folks here might have a little insight into this subject. I am looking for any web sites that are pertaining to converting commercial buildings(gas stations, retail buildings, etc...) into residences. Ultimately I would like to find a building with heavy modren/mid-century design to do this to, but until then I would love to see what others have achieved. Thanks.....

Balboni

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed May 03, 2006 8:58 am

OT?

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed May 03, 2006 9:02 am

I think it means "Off Topic"

Balboni
Modern Groupie

Postby Balboni » Wed May 03, 2006 10:57 am

Sorry....It means "off topic".

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed May 03, 2006 11:59 am

nah - this is a good topic.

welcome to Lotta Living!

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Wed May 03, 2006 12:35 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed May 03, 2006 1:39 pm

haha. I was thinking it was some sort of architectural style... boy was I OFF TOPIC!

sounds cool. I have often dreamed of googie style homes... a house designed by Armet & Davis to look like a Denny's or Pann's

oh yeah, welcome to lotta livin!

Balboni
Modern Groupie

Postby Balboni » Wed May 03, 2006 3:45 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome Joe. Actually, my thought was that a commercial building in the mid century style would better suit my needs(and wants) than a home in a conventional neighborhood. I know that where I am looking (Indianapolis), I will not be getting a building designed by a well known architect, but I am willing accept that to get more space. Now I just need to find the right building. Great picture of the Denny's by the way.

Balboni

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Mon May 08, 2006 10:10 am

I think that's a great idea. I've been entertaining that idea myself for a while now, but I've never seen a building (in San Diego) that would be suitable and that wasn't in the middle of a very busy, very commercial area and that was small enough to be manageable. I suppose they must exist, though. There are several examples of mid-century modern office buidings in LA that have been converted to hotels and/or condos. For example, the Standard hotel in downtown LA used to be headquarters for the Superior Oil Company. And the building across the street which is now apartments used to be the Mobil Oil headquarters, I think. Also, there's another building nearby (off Wilshire, I think) that I believe used to be the headquarters for some sort of Concrete manufacturers association or something like that. It has a giant concrete "exoskeleton" and is very cool. So perhaps a single residence conversion would work, provided you could find the right property. Are there any in Vegas?
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon May 08, 2006 10:31 am

one problem I see is absorbent land prices in for commercial property make it quite prohibitive in most urban areas to convert to single family resident

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon May 08, 2006 10:43 am

home_boy
Modern Master

Say Ahhh...

Postby home_boy » Mon May 08, 2006 12:08 pm

sid
Modern Master

Postby sid » Tue May 09, 2006 12:10 am

SID

MISSING my long and straight beams, stretching from the outside and piercing through the interior and back out again; seeing it all in one glance! WOW, it was gorgeous!

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Tue May 09, 2006 6:48 am

I don't think zoning is really an issue. Most zoning laws are intended to prevent commercial and industrial areas from being too close to residential areas, or to prevent changes such as homes being converted into businesses or single-family homes from becoming multi-family. I'm not aware of any zoning restrictions that would prevent anyone from converting a commercial or industrial space into a residential one - only from a residential use into a commercial or industrial use.

Balboni
Modern Groupie

Postby Balboni » Tue May 09, 2006 10:23 am

Wow, this topic has seen some action since my last log in. Everyone has brought up some really good points, relative to this topic.

Zoning- I am not expecting this to be an issue, but if it becomes one I am sure that I can find a attorney to handle it for me. I would also agree that the laws are more directed towards residential becoming industrial and not the other way around.

Cost- I will agree that this is not the most cost effective option, but I have interests that dictate having a larger than normal living space. Combine that with an almost unhealthy love of mid-century commercial architecture and I only have one direction to go in.

Type of structure- I am actually hoping to find a more industrial building as opposed to smaller office type buildings. Ultimately I would love to find a Bowling alley,movie theater, or maybe an fraternal (Elks, KOC, etc)lodge building. Or perhaps a car dealership. I have quite a few people on the look out for me now.

I am currently looking for a building in Indianapolis IN to convert and live in, if anyone has any leads they would be much appreciated. I look forward to hearing everyones input on this matter, and eventually following along the journey with me once the building is found. Again thanks for your input.

Balboni

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Tue May 09, 2006 10:54 am

Incidentally, I just remembered that there's a new show on HGTV which talks about just that sort of thing. It's called ReZoned. I haven't seen it much, so don't know if they have any examples of MCM buildings being converted. But it's the same idea.

daybreaker
Modern Socialite

Getty building

Postby daybreaker » Tue May 09, 2006 11:41 am

Another example of office turned residential is on the corner of Wilshire and Western in LA. The former Getty Oil headquarters designed by Claude Beelman in 1961 is becoming condos.

Pics are here
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=186545

and here
http://www.themercuryla.com/the-mercury.php

Balboni
Modern Groupie

Postby Balboni » Tue May 09, 2006 3:04 pm

East Coaster
Modern Groupie

Postby East Coaster » Tue May 09, 2006 5:56 pm

Regards,
Christine 'East Coaster'

"Noble life demands a noble architecture for noble uses of noble men. Lack of culture means what it has always meant: ignoble civilization and therefore imminent downfall. " - Frank Lloyd Wright, 1867-1959

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”