Ikea Modern Planters

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
scowsa
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Ikea Modern Planters

Postby scowsa » Thu May 04, 2006 3:09 pm

For those of you looking for some low cost, modernistic planters, check out your local Ikea.

They are currently selling their Spring/Summer outdoor items, many of which are never on their Web site nor in the catalog (so no pics to link to) and they always go fast.

They include some contemporary, ceramic, modernistic planters in a light grey finish. Think of a large golf-ball (dimples!), cut in half and hollowed out. They have a range of sizes this year, from around 20 in in diameter, down to smaller hanging ones.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu May 04, 2006 3:27 pm

any images?

I cannot believe how expensive planters are. one of my projects this summer is to make some redwood planters on hidden wheels.

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Thu May 04, 2006 3:30 pm

Yes, I was there last weekend (Carson Store) and saw the Golf Ball Planters. My Wife was not a big fan. They also had this really great outdoor chair. It was made out of woven plastic and came in Orange/white and Black/white. Once again the wife was not a fan.

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Thu May 04, 2006 3:44 pm

Who is this wife?! Just kidding. I loved those planters last year, but waited too long to buy them and then they were gone, so I'm thrilled to know they are back. If you are interested, act quickly, because by the time summer officially rolls around everything is pretty picked over.

kjansma
Modern Master

images

Postby kjansma » Thu May 04, 2006 3:48 pm

I checked the website and they do have the planters posted but they are only available in stores.
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... 6709*16710
and
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... 6709*16710

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu May 04, 2006 4:38 pm

Thanks for the Web links, kjansma ( whose name could be an Ikea item itself.) Which is a steal from the Jon Stewart joke when the Finish President visited (Tarja Halonen) and he said her name reminded him of an Ikea dining set. Proactive apologies to any Scandinavians out there, particullarly as I will be visting in the summer.

Incidentally, while the links show 2 sizes, there are 4 sizes of planters, including two with hanging options although the larger of those is big enoough for the ground.

KateT(CA)
Modern Master

Postby KateT(CA) » Thu May 04, 2006 4:52 pm

And for all you Southern CA folks - Gainey Ceramics (yes, the Gainey planter folks) have their outlet out in San Dimas and they are open Thursday-Saturday 8am - 4pm. Large Gainey planters run $20-$60+ in some pretty modern colors. I have several - they are *heavy* - and the nice man who mans the outdoor sales area will drill holes in the bottom of them if you wish.

Most are the plain large cylindricals, but there are a few saucer and hourglass shapes, too. And some little ones for $5 & $10.

The outlet goods are all seconds, but in very nice shape - minor glaze glitches and the like.

They are on Arrow Highway just west of Wheeler.

Kate
Best regards,
Kate at Studio 85

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Fri May 05, 2006 7:48 am

home_boy
Modern Master

Gainey Cermaics Outlet

Postby home_boy » Fri May 05, 2006 8:32 am

SkipHome
Modern Master

another idea

Postby SkipHome » Fri May 05, 2006 9:29 am

alyssa
Modern Fan

Postby alyssa » Fri May 05, 2006 4:35 pm

I love Ikea, I wish there was a store close to me but I don't believe there is. Shopping online is wonderful but somedays I would like to venture to the store so I can see it up close before buying!
Alyssa Anders
information, Resources and more at Modular Today.

East Coaster
Modern Groupie

Postby East Coaster » Fri May 05, 2006 7:10 pm

Regards,
Christine 'East Coaster'

"Noble life demands a noble architecture for noble uses of noble men. Lack of culture means what it has always meant: ignoble civilization and therefore imminent downfall. " - Frank Lloyd Wright, 1867-1959

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”