Crate and Barrel

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
alyssa
Modern Fan

Crate and Barrel

Postby alyssa » Fri May 05, 2006 4:36 pm

Anyone have a Crate and Barrel by them or familiar with them? I love this store, so many nice knick knacks for the house. Pier One Import hasn't been as good lately, to me anyway.

Any other good stsores I am missing? I am in FL by the way.
Alyssa Anders
information, Resources and more at Modular Today.

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Chimay » Mon May 08, 2006 9:21 am

Crate & Barrel is a national chain. We have them in San Diego, and I know of several stores in the DC area (where I've spent most of my time the past few years). They have some very good things and some not-so-good things, depending on your aesthetic. We shop there fairly frequently for kitchen-related stuff. Higher quality than IKEA, in general.
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

Sienna

Postby Sienna » Mon May 08, 2006 1:35 pm

We do not have one close by but I try to stay away from chain items, just going along with the fact that I try to stay away from chain restaurants and chain McMansion homes when we were shopping for a house.

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Mon May 08, 2006 1:38 pm

Completely agree with that philosophy on chain restaurants and mcmansions. But where chains like IKEA, Habitat, Room & Board, and others are concerned, not sure where we'd be without them! I prefer unique, original stuff, too, but it's not always possible - especially when you need something like a coffee table, dishes or cooking utensils immediately and don't have the luxury of waiting to stumble across that perfect item.

Sienna

Postby Sienna » Mon May 08, 2006 1:43 pm

r'n'r_beautyqueen
Modern Socialite

Postby r'n'r_beautyqueen » Mon May 08, 2006 4:01 pm

i love crate and barrel for it is much cheaper than williams sonoma for cooking supplies and they have pretty lamps and good sales.

you know they have a "modern" branch now too called cb2. they are new and have only done one catalog and only have a couple stores.
http://www.cb2.com/Default.aspx

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

There's also

Postby modfan » Mon May 08, 2006 7:35 pm

West Elm, but there are few retail stores it's mostly online. I think it's part of Pottery Barn which is also part of Wm's Sonoma.

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Mon May 08, 2006 7:42 pm

We just bought the Petrie sofa and two chairs from C&B and couldn't be happier. Great quality, decent price and excelant customer service. Our sales person kept in contact with us throughout the delivery process and called again three weeks after to make sure everything was still ok. They've won my buisiness for future purchases. Although I do like C&B I would stay away from CB2. Deffinitely lower end furniture, But I'm sure some of it's ok. It's worth a stop to browse, who knows you may find something you like.

Dan

Heidi
Modern Socialite

Postby Heidi » Mon May 08, 2006 8:09 pm

I have bought tons and tons of stuff from C&B over the years -- furniture to all kitchen stuff to outdoor patio stuff -- I really don't think you can beat 'em for their pricing/quality and fast delivery. I especially like their upholstered furniture and the fact that you can pick up the phone, order and have it delivered in a week (many times)......my only complaint is that they have gone really down hill over the past year or so with having alot of items on backorder that they don't tell you about until after you've ordered.......I've been really happy with West Elm lately -- super fast shipping, quality has greatly improved and they are offering a lot more choices than they did in the beginning......very pleased with them......
------------------------
Heidi

http://www.beaumondeprograms.com
http://laurelcanyoncenter.com: where the creative people go.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue May 09, 2006 1:37 am

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Tue May 09, 2006 6:49 am

We used to like Z Gallery and have some things from there, but we never go in the stores anymore because they seem to have gotten a lot more baroque, gothic, and ornate in their merchandise and design choices lately.

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Tue May 09, 2006 6:52 am

I have bought lots of stuff from C&B over the years and I will say that the quality from my first purchase (8 years ago) until today I have noticed a slight decrease in quality. The few pieces that I still have are well built and sturdy. A few years ago I purchased a Wine Bar/Rack. I had to put this one together (unlike my first purchase of an entire Apartments worth of stuff). Today the same Wine Bar/Rack is unsturdy and the woode veneer is peeling at the bottom of each leg. Of course this may be due to a couple of moves. Regardless the pricing is nice and I will admit that like other stores in this Genre a majority of the furniture is crafted well with the occasional piece of junk.

The one thing I do not like about C&B/Pottery Barn/ Z Galleria/etc. is that they have become so mainstream everyone has access them. I can't stand it when I go to our friends home or vice versa and I or them notice that we have the exact same piece of furniture. You sort of lose any individuality and uniqueness.

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Tue May 09, 2006 6:56 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue May 09, 2006 7:32 am

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Tue May 09, 2006 9:24 am

Heidi
Modern Socialite

Postby Heidi » Tue May 09, 2006 9:29 am

------------------------

Heidi

http://www.beaumondeprograms.com

http://laurelcanyoncenter.com: where the creative people go.

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Tue May 09, 2006 1:18 pm

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

I worked there in college

Postby MikeLindsey » Wed May 10, 2006 4:54 pm

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

C&B CB2

Postby MikeLindsey » Wed May 10, 2006 4:56 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”