Boomerang Formica, revisited

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mandykittie
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Boomerang Formica, revisited

Postby mandykittie » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:44 pm

check out my houseblog!
ranchhandy.blogspot.com

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:19 pm

mandykittie: do use the search engine on this board to find past threads regarding boomerang laminate. I went with Wilson Art rather than Formica because they offered more of the original patterns once offered by Formica. But Wilson Art doesn't sell it directly to homeowner, only bar booth makers.

If you do go with Formica boomerang, you can order it through any Formica dealer near you. I paid about $350 for a 4x10 sheet from a bar supply place. You'll find links from past discussions...

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... =boomerang

dentedvw
Modern Socialite

Postby dentedvw » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:18 am

I can only give you what I think you said you thought you wanted.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:59 pm

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:29 pm

I buy Boomerang Formica from my hardwood supplier, I pay $78 a 4x8 sheet, sometimes it takes a few days to get it but don't let anyone tell you it is discontinued. The Coral is pretty tame in my book...
BTW installing formica has never been easier, the water based contact glue is so easy to use, roll it on both pieces, 2 coats, use 1/4" dowels every 12" or so, lay the formica on the dowels, align a corner and start pulling out the dowels as you go. it you have it a hard roller or brayer is great or wrap a block of 2x4 with some terry cloth, rub and press. A laminate trimmer and bit should run under $150. and you will always have the tool. Make some practice pieces when you lam the main piece to practice with the trimmer. A very DIY project.

fuegos100
Modern Fan

cost and availability

Postby fuegos100 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:38 pm

I pay ab $80 a sheet from a local counter top shop (ustin, tx). I'm not in the trade, they will sell to anybody.

they have formica and wilsonart.

cadman
Modern Socialite

Postby cadman » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:16 pm

Our local Lowes carries the boomerang formica and I thought I recall it being less than $50 a sheet last we priced it out. This is the classics series, not the turquoise on white background shown above (which is also very nice!).

While the Formica website lists them as being available in gloss, I've never been able to find (or have sent to me) a sample that hasn't been matte. Would love to know if it even exists!

retromodernjeff
Modern Socialite

Boom formica from Classics line

Postby retromodernjeff » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:12 am

cadman
Modern Socialite

Postby cadman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:52 pm

Gorgeous color combo! :clap:

luciteflower
Modern Fan

Boomerang Formica

Postby luciteflower » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:10 am

I bought the turquoise boomerang by Formica and I love it! Wilsonart has a few good retro designs in their Indie Collection.

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:34 pm

I have a listing that has the old original boom a rang formica in it. If I have to hear one more time how the kitchen needs "a total make-over" I will knaw my wrists!

The formica is in near perfect shape too. Granted it needs to lose the curtains but I don't think that is what they are talking about making over. (I think that might be the one thing they would KEEP!

Image :roll:

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:42 pm

txmod - what a GRRRREAT kitchen!

after all the boomerang this discussion - i went straight to my lowes store to get the samples for our latest kitchen redo.
i brought the samples home and lo and behold they match very nicely with the armstrong floor we just put in. as long as it's not too much more then the pff-the-shelf junk they sell at home depot. i think we have a boomerang kitchen to look forward to!

thanks everyone for the inspiration.

luciteflower
Modern Fan

Original yellow boomerang kitchen

Postby luciteflower » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:21 pm

What a cool kitchen! I can't believe the yellow boomerang is in such good shape! I wish my cabinets & knobs looked like those!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”