Too Many Globe Lights?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Too Many Globe Lights?

Postby BOXOUTBM » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:38 am

I need an Opinion. I just completed my Kitchen Remodel in my CM and now working on the 2nd or 3rd (I can't remember) preliminary Lighting plan for the House. My kitchen is a galley style and rather than do track lighting I was looking into doing (3) smalll globe lights evenly spaced down the Galley. Also I wanted to put a larger Globe Light above my dining table which is directly across the room from the kitchen. Is (4) Globe lights too many in such a smalll house (1130 sq ft)? I would post some pictures, but I am having some issues with my Computer and Digital Camera.

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:23 pm

I have 3 8" globes hanging from an origial fixture in the kitchen. There was also this fairly ugly, heavily ornamented 14" globe hanging in the dining room. I replaced the latter with a Nelson Criss-Cross light and it adds a new element as the centerpiece of the room. You may want to consider doing something similar.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:25 pm

I considered globe lights at one time. I would have went with three in my kitchen, one in my dining and another in a sitting area by the front door.

Instead, I opted to employ the original sconces to shine on the ceiling for indirect light in my dining area. I also have indirect lighting above the soffit on the back wall of the living area. a smaller ceiling sconce was added above the sink in the kitchen and one on the ceiling washing a wall for art. three recessed cans providing down lights were added to my kitchen for task lighting. I also have the original indirect lighting above the closets in all three bedrooms.

The main reasons for not going with the globe was because the down lights and indirect light create a more soothing and dramatic combination. whereas the globes tend to wash everything out. In a Cliff May, you basically have one large living area. I really didn't want globe light hitting me in the living area when someone needed it in the kitchen. The diverse lighting arrangement allows flexibility to create different moods.

I do like globe lights, but I feel the Cliff May living space is a bit small for them. Once again, the original design intent won out in my space.

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:47 am

Last edited by robbhouston on Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:02 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby egads » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:43 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:01 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:02 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:06 pm

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:14 am

http://www.nashvillemodern.com

A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:00 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:00 pm

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:52 pm

We have six different types of lighting in our kitchen, including the original globe lights. They are great for general mood/ambiance lighting, but aren't bright enough for serious kitchen work. For that, we needed some directed task lighting. Given our T&G ceiling, the best solution was to go with something very discreet - low-voltage lighting. You can't see them from the living room because it's hidden behind the beam, and they are small. But they are very effective. The other four kinds of lighting that we have are the sconces (which mirror the sconces we have on the opposite wall), another globe light sitting on the recessed alcove, and hidden indirect lighting (rope lighting) also in the recessed alcove above the cabinets. Oh, and the sixth form of light is the one we prefer - natural sunlight from the windows!

Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:25 pm

Thanks for all the replies and advise. After careful consideration, speaking the Electrician and seeing just about every house for sale in the neighborhood over the past few years, I have decided that Globe lights may not work in the Kitchen. The ceiling is a bit low for them and after plugging in couple to see how much light they give off, it won't be enough. We have opted to go with some very discreet track lighting with very low profle lights. The ceiling is white and will be repainted white, so in order to keep the clean uncluttered look we desire the lights will also be white. I will still have a larger Globe light hanging over my Dinning Table. I think the new plan will work perfectly. I will share photos when all is completed with the house in the net couple months.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:52 pm

Then do check out the miniature 12 volt track made by both WAC and Juno. It is about 3/4 wide and 1/4 high. The transformer is placed remotely, or there is an electronic one that can be mounted at the end of the track. My advice is to go with fixtures that enclose the lamp as MR-16 lamps bleed light out their backs. This will cause hot spots around where they are and draw your eye. I have actually painted the backs of those lamps, but I can't recommend it. (unless your wife insists on the open fixture say for instance)

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:20 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:06 am

This guy has too many globe lights!

http://cgi.ebay.com/29-x-retro-vintage- ... dZViewItem

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:32 am

And apparently a penchant for photographing them in every possible configuration. We get it already, dude.

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:24 am

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Tue May 01, 2007 7:54 am

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I'm bumping it because I've been doing a search online and here for a good, inexpensive option for above my dining room table.

Any new suggestions since this thread was active? For those of you who don't have a Nelson or a globe light over your tables, what do you have? By the way, I'd love to have a Nelson, but can't afford it right now. Looking for something in the under $200 range.

I'd like something that isn't a glow bomb, but more of a subtle, down directional light that lights just the table top area - don't want to illuminate the whole house with it. More info about the room...table is teak, oval shaped and there are three globe lights visible from the dining area (at top and bottom of stairs going up to a loft and in the hallway).

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue May 01, 2007 8:06 am

I am using the larger, 17" Le Klint 172B for two clients right now over their dining tables. It is tough to beat the price at Y-lighting.

http://www.ylighting.com/leklinpenmod4.html
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue May 01, 2007 8:20 am

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue May 01, 2007 8:23 am

"Better Living Through Modernism"

PNWgal
Modern Socialite

Postby PNWgal » Tue May 01, 2007 8:53 am

We're using something I think we bought at West Elm nearly 2 years ago. They don't appear to sell the exact one anymore, but they have some fun stuff:

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Tue May 01, 2007 9:29 am

Still waiting on that baby, PNWgal?

Anyway, this is not the most fantastic picture, but we went the super ultra cheap route and bought (gasp) an Ikea fixture for $25 and then another fixture at Home Depot (swoon) and combined them to make our dining room light. I love it. The Ikea one only had a cord that plugged directly into the wall and the Home Depot one had the thing that gets wired to the ceiling, so we took the cone-shaped thing from the HD one and you get the idea...

PNWgal
Modern Socialite

Postby PNWgal » Tue May 01, 2007 9:52 am

Yep, Roxy, still waiting... :wink:

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Tue May 01, 2007 2:11 pm

Thanks for your suggestions Stephen, moderns-r-us, roxy and PNWgal.

I've spent all afternoon at the Moonshine Shades site and ordered something I think I'm going to absolutely love - and for only $98! Can't beat that. I'll post pics once it arrives and is up.

Thanks again,
Sara

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”