Eastern Long Island Waterfront MCM

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

jesgord
Modern Master

Eastern Long Island Waterfront MCM

Postby jesgord » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:47 am

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:29 pm

here are a few interior pics:

See the photoalbum for the exterior
Last edited by jesgord on Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:31 pm

WooooooooooooooooooW

If you ever need a house sitter, let me know.

What an amazing site, the appears to be in good shape. Welcome to Lotta Living,

Jerad
www.drummondhome.blogspot.com(updated recently)

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ch » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:09 pm

Hey Jesgord,

Welcome. The house looks incredible. What a fun project on a magnificient site. Do you know who the architect was?

I too am getting ready to embark on an architectural restoration in Connecticut so you are not alone in the NY/NJ/CT area, where I might add, there are plenty of wonderful mid-century modern homes just waiting for discovery. We are buying ours from the family of the original owner who lived in the house for 52 years!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Best,

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

And take

Postby modfan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:20 pm

a drive by sometime and look at the rare New York Eichlers for some inspiration-google here to find info or try eichlernetwork.com for more info.

BTW cool house from what I could see.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:36 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:17 pm

honour98
Modern Groupie

Postby honour98 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:41 pm

honour98
Modern Groupie

Postby honour98 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:45 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:52 pm

Yeah, they are available. I just can't bear spending $150.00 on a book. lol I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled and see if I can't find them somewhere else for a bit cheaper. There are some good used bookstore options here in NYC I have gotten lucky before.

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:48 am

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:54 am

We have done a lot of work on the house and I hope to post some updated progress pics soon. In the interim, I'd love to know what you all think about our proposed kitchen design. All cabinetry will be done by Kerf. For those of you unfamiliar with their work, here are a couple pics. We will be using the birch colored ply.

Our countertops will all be slate. Here are some stills of the basic 3D mockup

Here is an image similar in perspective to the last one. This provides a little context

Let me know what you all (honestly) think

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:23 am

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:42 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:49 am

"Better Living Through Modernism"

redneckmodern
Modern Master

Postby redneckmodern » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:49 am

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:07 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:11 pm

wow. never saw the first pics. love the fireplace. (did not venture into the kodak arena)

i guessed correct that the little table slides in. i like it, and the placement. having spent 4 days over thanksgiving with
a 18month old, that will get alot of use for at least 10 yrs. and useful for special cooking adventures. bread/cookie ingredients.

kerf is great. good choice.
i was concerned about the trouble corners and dead space, but then noticed the cabinet having access to the living room side.
opening up the wall is good. the cooktop counter backsplash? hard call. does 'contain' cooking 'stuff'. and seems to be a common
choice lately. or even a larger ledge for a 'chef' visitor and stool on the other side. i prefer just a larger flat surface, with or without a stool.
i see the need though, after having the kitchen so closed off for so long. and the need to keep the lines clean from the living room.
is that an induction/gas wish list cooking situation. love that. if the vent pops up, like i've seen, you may not need to hide it behind
a back splash. with all the pot and pan storage under the counter, it should be easy to keep tidy. without the backsplash, and the counter just
a few inches wider, allows for a stool, not for eating really, just a casual visit. (keeps the crowd out of the kitchen).

my fridge and double stove are side by side, 2 inches.(teak strip divides) been that way for 50 yrs. makes me nervous everytime the topic comes up.
we cook alot and everytime we crank up the ol' ROPER double oven, (bread bakes at 450-475) i get nervous and touch the side next to the fridge.
never hot, just luke-warm. probably just the air heat surrounding the two is a concern. open fridge, open hot oven.
modern appliances are very efficient and if no other choice, i think it is ok. we also have no other choice. and will replace the roper oven when needed.
a side by side fridge needs alot of room. and may get in the way of the stove?, the most used right fridge side?.
i got a bit of heat here for buying a liebherr, but i needed narrow and a built-in. still love it. 30 wide/ 6ft6 tall. giant upper fridge area, and no bending
over. i had a fantastic used three door side by side Norge for 15 years. died, but would not fit here anyway. i also did not have the expense of a new
kitchen. and the first fridge i ever bought new.

i like the slate as well. a NY thing? lab slate is my dream choice, i'm surrounded by slate and love it. just makes sense with your landscape as well.
(also why i would like to see the cooking counter exposed.)

thanks for sharing. hard choices. and so many options.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:31 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:09 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:34 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:51 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:57 am

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:50 am

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:20 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:49 am

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:07 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:37 pm

thought of you when i saw this today.

great color palate, as yours is....i'm crazy busy tonight.
i'll respond more this weekend...

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:03 am

I just wanted to add one thought on the deep drawers vs. pull-outs issue: take inventory of what you want to store in the cabinets. I am a huge fan of deep drawers and put them in our kitchen two houses ago. I also plan to use them when we finally get to update our current kitchen. (the current set-up involves kitting out for spelunking just to find a piece of Tupperware), but I will also have at least one set of pull-outs behind doors.

Things like crock pots, roasting ovens, stand mixers, etc. are much easier to maneuver in-and-out when you only have to negotiate the 3" lip of the pull-out rather than the full deep drawer. And with the pull-outs, you get a bit more vertical clearance by not having the drawer construction in the way.

Just my humble opinion. And your house is absolutely wonderful. I can't wait to see the end result!
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:28 am

looked at your photos this morning after splitting some firewood. hope the storm tomorrow is a gentle one...
incredible piece of property. beautiful trees. winter shows the trunk structure.
Kerf kitchen even makes more sense to me now. the way your house is cube structured. eventual roof decks, etc.
seeing into the kitchen and while cooking repeats all the visuals on a smaller scale. feels right to me.
still like the little custom table. as long as you have access to the space under it. could still accommodate a big pull out drawer,
the kind with low interior sides. the 'kids drawer', for the pots and pan 'band' they seem fascinated with. and eventually a
snack and sippy-cup storage when they can be trusted with such a thing. they do seem to like their own little storage world.
and helps prevent the play-skool primary color plastic stuff relatives always give, (though no-one can avoid it totally).

i think our original owners shopped at the same stores. our bath has the same fixtures. long thin cabinet above laminate and below
the mirror. tile ledge behind the tub. though our tub is sunken into the floor. (funny and odd)

great light fixtures. like the large tube pendants. thinking of just making a triple one for our living room. still somehow need more up-lighting.
cedar ceiling has a nice patina but dark. i lived above a lamp factory that kept throwing out rolls of lamp material.
our neighbors have the largest of the Nelson saucers. and original judging by some of their recent choices. not sure how many bulbs it holds,
but it's huge. glory day for me if he decides to replace it.

how are your wall surfaces? mine are seeming a bit thirsty. wondering if they need a pass of linseed oil. the exterior is a bit dry as well. i read
different things on what to do.
your exterior has aged coastal silver? i have a good formula for matching it if you ever need to ty in some new construction.

thanks for sharing your kitchen project. you seem to have some time to tweak it. oh, what will the floors be?
just keep visualizing what it will be like to function in the area. i'm sure you have, and how you have gotten to the plan you have.
coffee pot as close to the sink as possible for easy fill, dishwasher near sink as well, as dirties always end up near the sink. glassware and plate
storage is nearby for emptying. single door upper fridge and lower freezer my be easier. prep and cutting area to the left of the sink?
with the fridge opening to the windows, that would be the surface to place things as you take them out and good natural light.
noticing more integrated fridge choices since i bought mine. and i really miss my ikea deep drawers for pots and pans. lower corner cabinets are
always a bit of dead space, even with all the pull-out tricks i keep seeing.
(just thinking of all the things i screwed up in my last kitchen. i had the appliance triangle correct, but a center island turned the kitchen into a
race-track)
some of the new double-door fridges, LG?, with the bottom freezer and no center division seem pretty good but just so darn wide.
keep us posted. anxious to see the final choices.
oh, i would also include a long narrow suspended cabinet above the cook-top. with slider doors. suspended by 2-3inch cooper
pipe. with two sided access. plates, glassware, and spices. i like the look and i would need the extra room. 15-18 inch tall by
5-6 ft long. (i'm sure i'm alone in that choice). but i have a version of it in my original kitchen, with the copper pipe...

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”