How old is it?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

nataliegirl
Modern Groupie

How old is it?

Postby nataliegirl » Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:45 pm

Hi. My new apartment is very cute, in an old building. The manager thinks it was built in the 40's, but the maintenence guy thinks it's 80-90 years old. So my question is, would I be able to tell how old our building is by certain features it has? (i.e. glass doorknobs, 13' ceilings, type of buzzer for front door, kitchen doesn't seem to be designed for refrigerator space?, type of kitchen sink, etc)
If anyone has any ideas about this, please let me know.

thanks, Natalie

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Sep 28, 2002 1:23 am

this is a good question...
you might try browsing your local bookstore and checking out some books on architectural style. it's all about the way things look. glass doorknobs do sound very 1940s but they could be earlier and it's hard to say without seeing a picture?

tiled counters were very much in vogue during the mid century and the type of counter surface could give a clue. but if the building was really old - say 80-90 years - it could have been done re-done in the 1940s and then you are both right!

please post a picture if you can...

maybe we should have a guide to mid-century architectural styles on this site? anyone want to help put this together?

nataliegirl
Modern Groupie

how old is it- picture?

Postby nataliegirl » Sat Sep 28, 2002 6:30 am

Well the countertop appears to have been replaced by an 80's or 90's style (faux wood? it's not too hideous) I like how there are windows everywhere, including the bedroom closets. There's a narrow window at the end of the narrow kitchen, but there used to be another narrow window that looked out on the back stairwell, but they boarded it up because the refrigerator blocks it and probably for security reasons? There was also one of those vent-type windows above the back door in the kitchen, but for some reason they boarded those up too!

I could go on but I would like to post a few pictures. How can I do this?

Thanks, Natalie[/i]

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

How to post a picture...

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:37 pm

sallymac
Modern Groupie

How old is it?

Postby sallymac » Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:11 pm

Sallymac

nataliegirl
Modern Groupie

How old is it?

Postby nataliegirl » Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:18 pm

You think it sounds like late 20's- mid 30's? My next question is, how many new apartment buildings and houses were being built during that time because wouldn't the Depression have slowed that down?
Unfortunately, the outside of the building really doesn't look great anymore. There's been some erosion of the decoration (i.e. concrete "urn" looking things that used to be on top of the building) and it hasn't been kept up very well. The building beside me has some cool gargoyles hanging off the side of their roof. I can see them from the bedroom windows.
As far as the little windows in our closets, I can't see the advantage of them.... They let sunlight in which can fade the clothes.
I would like to share some pictures of the building and apt, so I'll try to get some up. Kansas City has some neat old buildings. So does Cincinnati. Cincinnati has the largest collection of COOL old homes and apartments I've ever seen.

Natalie

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”