Does anyone shop at DWR/furniture arrangment

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
afigure
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Does anyone shop at DWR/furniture arrangment

Postby afigure » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:56 am

Hoping this is the proper place for this post, I couldn't find a spot, directly dedicated to furniture?

I really want this couch for my living room but it is sooo expensive... :o
Does their quality really justify their high prices? Do they have any annual sales? I keep waiting fo them to drop the price on this one like by 50% :wink:
Has anyone seen this sofa in person ? It very low to the ground, which is why it appeals to me plus its a bed too, but it may be too low.
I want something that won't be so high to block the window view behind it.

So what do you think? I don't have any showrooms close to where I live.
So what are your experiences with this store.? Would anyone care to show what kind of sofa they have in their living area or even better show pictures?

As much as I love my 'new' house my living room is so awkward,
it so hard for furniture placment, or even deciding where to put a tv was difficult, anyone else have this problem in their living room/family room?

http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=8600

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:39 am

Hi,

Like many, I look at DWR's prices in horror. And like many, I end up forking it over.

The wife and I have purchased three items from them: a floor mat, a bookshelf/sculpture( that looks like a post for a firing squad until its full of books), and the Bantam Sofa.

The quality of all three is fine. Were the prices justified? I guess so as I paid them. However, there are many things in their repertoire that are just too expensive.

I like the Bantam Sofa, although it is not very good for my 6 feet 3 inch frame when it comes to lounging. But the quality is fine. Were I to do it over again, I would probably have gone for something at the local vintage mod store that has been restored. Still, the Bantam looks incredible in our Mid Century pad.

We visited their show room twice and they ended up giving us a bit of a discount- it was called a sale for "special customers and friends". I tried out other things and they all seemed to be of good quality.

And it looks as if we will be back. We have three Wormley Riemerschmid chairs and need a fourth. We can (1) Plunk down $1200 for one Wormley or (2) Plunk down $1200 for two Julianas from DWR which look enough like them and would mesh well. Then one of the Wormleys could become a desk chair. Quite the conondrum, eh? :h:

I digress....

Bottom line: If you can afford it, go for it. Try to visit a showroom and maybe they will offer you that same discount.

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Chimay » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:01 am

DWR does have some of their stuff on sale from time to time (Sky, I want your ERO/S chairs!), but rarely - if ever - with the kind of discounts you're talking about. However, DWR does have a warehouse sale once a year at their San Francisco Bay Area facility, and items there are discounted by 50% or more, sometimes. But it's only once a year (I think it was around 16-17 June this year, or something like that), and you have to actually physically go to the warehouse to take advantage. I seriously considered renting a truck and making the drive from San Diego (some come from even further than that!), but my wife had to go and have a baby just before then and ruin my plans.

Closer to home is Modernica, who also has a once-a-year warehouse sale at their Los Angeles facility.

A note on DWR's prices. They are high, but we still do shop there from time to time. We just bought those little Lytegem lamps for our bedroom, and they're great. However, I do notice that most (if not all) of what they sell is available elsewhere typically at cheaper prices. And in any case, I have to say that I generally prefer to go to local, independent purveyors of mid-century modern furniture when possible (in my case, Boomerang for Modern in San Diego is my favorite, but there are others in town such as DNA and Mixture that are also great). Most towns have them!

Otherwise, a good alternative on line to DWR is highbrowfurniture.com. They are located in Tennessee, which helps for sales tax. Also, if you plug in the discount code ATOMIC, you get 10% off.
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:28 am

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:32 am

spinsLPs
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby spinsLPs » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:45 am

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:48 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Does anyone shop at DWR/furniture arrangment

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:42 pm

classic form

Postby classic form » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:07 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:14 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:54 am

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:14 am

I love the Nelson seating, but they are not commonly found and of course are steep in price.

I found this Gunlocke set a while back that in many ways reminds me of that slim streamlined aesthetic (with a Florence Knoll twist). I still need to have them refoamed and recovered in a nice maharam fabric to bring them back to sharp condition:

Last edited by Miguel on Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:28 am

If anyone wants to sell an authentic Florence Knoll sofa to me for a couple of hundred bucks, I'm happy to take it off your hands! :wink:

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:05 am

C'mon Chimay.... we all know that's never gonna happen...

:wink:

And just to illustrate, this is the Nelson sofa set I'm talking about (I'm assuming that Joe is talking about the same):

Last edited by Miguel on Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:06 am

A guy can dream, can't he :roll: ?!

Staar
Modern Master

Postby Staar » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:18 am

there's a guy in long beach who could reproduce it for a decent price...

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:25 pm

miguel, I was actually thinking about the nelson sofa and chair design that classic form has Image

for me, that's perfection :)

I missed out on a set about 5 years ago on ebay. I think the chair and sofa sold for about $1400. I think I bailed on the auction because I would have had to pay $300 in shipping. gee, wish I could do that one over!

to afigure's other question... if you're looking for arrangement tips, I suggest checking out 'Modernism Rediscovered,' a book on Schulman's photography. Many great interior shots. I tend to look at a lot of MCM books and try to identify spaces which are similar to mine in scale, size and shape. identify how pieces work together, what the main focus should be, traffic flow, and intimacy needs. don't try to force a piece you really love into a space where it won't work. you'll only be frustrated.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:29 pm

Joe, I know you're a serious purist so don't shoot me for suggesting the following:

Steelcase made a model that it was extremely similar to that Nelson sofa. They are not hard to find and construction quality is very good (I have two of them at home):

You might be able to find a few in an University salvage department (OSU in Corvallis is one possibility).

***and BTW... this thread is officially hijacked***

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:41 pm

oh no, steelcase is good stuff. I believe they have been around since the '60s, maybe longer. They are usually there with Knoll and Herman Miller in term of office furniture, etc. I usually search for Steelcase on ebay. it's been fetching a chuck of money for the right pieces too.

classic form

Postby classic form » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:28 pm

tg
Modern Fan

Postby tg » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:16 am

Just my opinion, but I don't think DWR prices are reasonable at all for the average family. If you are in search of designer pieces with a name go with them, then DWR is a place for you. If you are just looking for a good quality couch that looks good to you, meets your needs, and doesn't break the bank, there are other options. One furniture option that I don't see mentioned often on these boards are Todd Oldham by Lazboy. I have 3 pieces of furniture from this line and I am very happy with all of them. The quality is good and the price was much better than those I was seeing in DWR, Room & Board, and others. A couch is one piece of furniture that you shouldn't skimp on, but you also shouldn't pay an arm and a leg when it isn't necessary. I tried to go the vintage route for a while, but learned rather quickly that people who have good couches tend to keep them, and the rest needed too much work to make them cost effective.

This couch style is not exactly the same style as the DWR couch you linked to, but it does meet your needs of a lower profile to avoid blocking the window view. It doesn't have a dual purpose bed option, unless you just want to sleep on it as is. ;)

http://www.lazboy.com/ourfurniture/prod ... x?pid=4997

This variation might be interesting to you, since you mentioned you have a hard time placing furniture in your living room. It could provide some different geometry to work with.

http://www.lazboy.com/ourfurniture/prod ... x?pid=5003

Anyway, just a thought.

afigure
Modern Socialite

sofa options

Postby afigure » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:18 pm

Thanks for responding to my post tg! You're right, I would have never thought of Lazboy. Looks great though my husband has a primal urge for sofa with "arms." Although our current sofa does not. Here's a pic. I love this sofa, it's modular could be set up a few different ways, with or without the cushions, I think it's 60's, (garage sale purchase). I am looking for sofa that would mesh well with this one, but has a sofa bed option for 2 ideally. Our house has a lot of danish modern influence and mostly 60's - 70's vintage furniture. There are so many choices out there but unfortunately cannot afford most of them!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”