How to make a cookie cutter home modern...(lots of pics!)

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

STLModern
Modern Master

How to make a cookie cutter home modern...(lots of pics!)

Postby STLModern » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:02 pm

Making a Midwest cookie cutter home modern

My Wife and I purchased our home back in 2001 for $116,000. It’s about 1200 sq ft. We are located approximately 20 minutes from downtown St. Louis in the suburbs called, St. Peters, MO. We purchased this house primarily because of its location to both our jobs and accessibility to ample shopping and restaurants. We were against buying a split level home when we started looking but when we viewed this one we fell in love with the loft like openness of the foyer, living room, dining room and kitchen. It made the home feel so much bigger than it really is. We knew the home would take some work to get it to reflect our style and we were willing to experiment. We have now painted the foyer, living room, kitchen and master bedroom twice since we moved in. Let’s just say the first color choices made us say, “What were we thinkingâ€￾? When asked to describe our decorating style I would have to say a cross between mid century modern and minimalism.

Following are some pictures of our house in its current state:

Front of house

When picking out plants and materials for the landscaping I wanted a maintenance free solution. That is why I chose 1-inch limestone rock and all ornamental grasses. I only have to cut/trim them once a year!

My friend’s parents owned a lake house that got bought out by a developer who was going to tear it down to build condos. My buddy asked me if I wanted any of the furniture from the house. I snatched up these two butterfly chairs for $5 each, which I believe are originals!

As soon as you come in the front door and look up to your right this is what you see.

As you come up the stairs from the foyer and look to your left you see the living room.

View if you’re sitting on my couch

Look at this handsome guy!

Judge (black) and Billy (fawn)

The paint on the walls is Sherwin Williams Soft Suede Grey. We chose this paint and finish because it had a resemblance to concrete.

Instead of typical baseboards I finished the walls to the floor and just used quarter round to give it more of a clean look. Lot’s of work but I think the end result turned out great.

Our Tulip table

I painted the original oak cabinets with Rust-Oleum hammered paint (charcoal). I replaced all the brass hardware with brushed nickel and luckily the previous owners didn’t put any hardware on the cabinets so there were no holes to cover up.

On each end of the cabinets was wood grain sticker paper. I went to a sign shop and got some brushed aluminum sticker paper and recovered it. I then covered the edges with aluminum L-channel.

I wanted something durable for the toe kicks since the old ones had been water rotted. So I purchased some stainless steel pre-cut to size and Liquid nailed it to some marine grade plywood. The corners were covered with stainless steel L-channel.

In this shot you can see the openness of these rooms combined.

The bathroom is going to get a complete makeover hopefully next year. For the meantime I remove the linoleum and painted the luan with gloss white concrete paint. The cabinet was painted black and the counter I painted with Fleck stone paint and poly urethaned it with about five coats. I built a frame out of OSB board and painted it to match the cabinets. It’s amazing how a little detail will change the feel of a room. Overall this temporary bathroom redo only cost us $100.

As the people on MTV Cribs say…â€￾This is where the magic happensâ€￾.

If you are a guest in our house this is where you will sleep.

We took the third bedroom and converted it into a computer room with a built-in birch plywood desk. My brother Chris helped me build this desk and it killed him to leave the grain exposed. He wanted to laminate it. I think he liked it once it was finished he just wouldn’t admit to it.

And the room that drives the neighbors crazy. At least it’s only twice a week. I’m in a metal band www.therend.net or www.myspace.com/rend and we practice here. We tried to do as much as possible to cancel the sound from escaping to the exterior. Flor carpet tiles on the bottom half of the walls and window plugs that fill the window and sliding glass door.

All the work done to our house was done by my Wife and I, except for help from my brother on the desk. I think that is the coolest part about owning a home and fixing it up, being able to say, “I did itâ€￾! Overall we have invested only about $7500 into this home. This is proof that you can make drastic changes on a budget. We’ve painted every room, re-carpeted the bedrooms, computer room, stairs and basement. We installed laminate flooring throughout the hall, kitchen, dining room and living room. All the carpet is Flor carpet tiles. Luckily we have a resource locally that sells overstock and imperfect tiles for only $2.30 each and sometimes you can find them for as cheap as $1.00…don’t be jealous! :D All artwork was done by me except for in the guest room, my late brother Doug Semar did that one.

If you have any comments or questions please reply!

Look for our house on HGTV’s – What you get for the money airing sometime this month. I will post in this thread once I know the exact dates and time.

Well that’s about all. Hopefully you all enjoyed the virtual tour of our home.

Dan, Tiffany, Billy and Judge
Last edited by STLModern on Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:35 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Kimba
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimba » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:45 pm

Beautiful job! It certainly deserves a showcase on HGTV!!!
"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I think

Postby modfan » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:20 am

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:13 am

wallcrawlr
Modern Groupie

Postby wallcrawlr » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:14 am

Mod Diva
Modern Socialite

Postby Mod Diva » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:29 am

This is a perfect example of how you can make any place look good on a budget. Your style is right up my alley. Take your place's inside and put it in any MCM in Palm Springs or anywhere else it would be a perfect fit. I think you did a great job!! I can't wait to get out of Chicago and back to my home in LA to put my house together again.
Awesome art ( you are gonna have to let me in on how you did the silhouette art ) - Great colors and most of all... Awesome pics of your puggie babies..
I am a big fan!!!
Cheers!!
Mod Diva

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:18 am

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:30 am

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:36 am

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:58 pm

The great interior got me thinking about the exterior and what I would do if I wanted to change it to look more MCM. There's actually some inexpensive ways of making the house look more MCM - it mostly has to do with removing the elements that make it look traditional. Since you already have some interesting cantelevers going on, making some small modifications would tone down the traditional elements. If you remove the shutters, then replace the octagonal vent in the gable (replace with square vent painted the same color as your siding), plus the replacement of your front door - those would do much to change the nature of the building. I would also paint the front gutter to match the facia trim.

This would be my punch list:

1. Remove Shutters and touch-up the underlying siding. Paint Gutter.
2. Replace vent with square vent painted the same color as the siding.
3. Replace Front door with solid door, single mistlite to the left running full height.
4. Experiment with creating a flat space between the to windows above the garage door - there are many MCM inspired splits around here that have a painted panel between two windows like you have.

If you decide to stay in the home a while and feel like expanding both the scale of your projects and the $$ invested...

5. Replace arched window above the door with glass stretching as high as you can get away with (pulling the door lines up to the roofline).
6. Pull the bay-window forward level with the face (or pull the shape in level with the flat face to the left) - replace the 4 windows with one horizontal window stretching as far across the front as possible.
7. Replace windows beneath the bay window with windows stretching the same width as the windows above.
8. Replace the garage doors with new, flat or no-raised panel doors.

Just toying wth the idea.... you may be better off looking for the real thing and being done with it.

-- John
Last edited by johnnyapollo on Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:34 pm

I could agree with all of that -- though in the meantime the extreme simplicity of the semicircular lite is sort of a "modern miracle" in itself, isn't it ?

The cantilevered elements do a lot for the house, don't they. . .

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

and extending the previous post

Postby modfan » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Re: How to make a cookie cutter home modern...(lots of pics!

Postby Stephen » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:48 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:43 pm

This is what happens when you have the day off and nothing to do. :D

My concept drawings if money were not an option...

retromodernjeff
Modern Socialite

Nice house! I had a similar idea with my house

Postby retromodernjeff » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:19 pm

Sometimes you have to make do if you are stuck with a cookie cutter. FYI our house is for sale, Reno NV.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:26 pm

Interesting photo on the wall see this recent thread.

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5726

retromodernjeff
Modern Socialite

Wall Photo

Postby retromodernjeff » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:32 pm

Hey thanks for the link. Mine is nothing special, just a poster reprint I bought from allposters.com

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:57 pm

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:07 am

SoMo,

I have not heard back from HGTV yet. The show was suppose to air last month but never did. I will post the date and time when I find out.

The paint in the kitchen is:
Brand: Sherwin Williams
Base: Color Accents
Color: Brassy

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:50 pm

PrettyHateMachine
Modern Fan

Postby PrettyHateMachine » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:32 am

Where did you get your bedroom furniture?

So_Cal_Native_in_Texas
Modern Master

Postby So_Cal_Native_in_Texas » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:35 pm

Both of you have beautiful homes. You're very fortunate.
|

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:29 am

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:30 am

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:36 pm

We finally found out when our house will be on TV!

What You Get for the Money
Episode HGFTM-226

$200,000

Compare what kind of house you can get for $200,000 in six markets across the country. Our first home is a 65-year-old Tudor located in Jackson, Miss., that was originally purchased for $55,000 by Karole Sessums and HC Porter. Next up is a fixer-upper in Norman, Okla., where Michael Pullen and Jim Allred put lots of TLC into their project. Our final feature is a surprisingly hip house in the suburbs of St. Louis, where young couple Tiffany and Dan Semar surprised everyone. Last up is a look at homes in Birmingham, Ala., Little Rock, Ark., and Charleston, S.C.

Air Times:
January 21, 2007 11:30 PM ET/PT
January 22, 2007 3:30 AM ET/PT

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:05 pm

"Better Living Through Modernism"

KateT(CA)
Modern Master

Postby KateT(CA) » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:40 am

Best regards,
Kate at Studio 85

fuegos100
Modern Fan

nice homes

Postby fuegos100 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:13 pm

we are in austin and building modern/green etc. we bought a 1973 ranch and when I'm not busy with the new home construction I am renovating the rancher.

and HGTV WYGFT$ also came here last month. have no idea when ours will air. it was quite an exciting day as a random motorist coasted to a stop in front of our house and his truck burst into flames just before the hgtv crew was to arrive.

check the blog entry for all the flames and hgtv crew setting up

http://austinmodhouse.com/blog1/2006/11 ... andac.htmlImage

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:08 pm

*** TONIGHT ***

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”