commercial VCT for residential use.

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mostlymodern
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

commercial VCT for residential use.

Postby mostlymodern » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:10 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:31 pm

I used the regular excelon from Home Depot in black. It was only 62 cents a tile. I laid it 90 degrees each tile. Tight joints are key. It is a very stable product that will not expand and contract hardly at all. I used one of the new mastics that go on thin, dry clear and have an "open" time of 12-24 hours. I laid 1200 sq ft with just my brother in law helping me. Laying it out to go throughout the entire house was a big deal. You do not want little slivers of tile anywhere. I my case it was "correct" as I ripped up the carpet and then the degraded original tile. Maintenance, especially with the black, is a nightmare. I think the lighter colors would be easier to care for. They will not look like cheap stick down tiles because they will not have that unnatural no wax shine.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:48 pm

do a search on this topic -VCT you'll find answers.

i have used VCT in residential in several homes now and love it. i don't think it looks cheap. it looks authentic. Especially if you can find an installer willing to cut the 12x12s down to 9x9s
i prefer med. range tones as opposed to light or dark.

mostlymodern
Modern Groupie

Postby mostlymodern » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:19 pm

Thanks for the input.
I browsed through the posts here before asking my question. I was hoping someone has some experience with those specific tiles.

Glad to know that the black is hard to keep clean. The grey granite that I'm considering isn't dark or light so based on your opinions it should be a good 'in between' color...especially as far as maintenance goes.

Thanks again~

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:43 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:57 am

Well I have a teenage daughter who walks through the house with boots on!
And in general this family is not as clean as a mid century modern house requires. I knew that and bought one anyway. And put this floor down.
Joe, what wax do you use? Do you have your own buffer? What kind is it? I have been renting them.

mostlymodern
Modern Groupie

Postby mostlymodern » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:58 pm

yes. Great question. I looked at those buffers and thought that I would just rent one occasionally - Otherwise it would need it's own room!

I've heard that the buffers aren't easy to use and the floor can be damaged by improper use. How difficult is the operation?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:11 pm

I'm bumping this so maybe Joe (or others) will chime in with vct floor care suggestions.

Here's one I learned from my local janitor supply. What does it mean
on the wax bottle by "spray buff"? Dilute the wax by 50% and spray in front of the buffer.

SkipHome
Modern Master

VCT

Postby SkipHome » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:32 pm

We used commercial Mannington VCT throughout our Alexander home in Palm Springs, in the pattern "dalmation." We absolutely love it. To me it looks sort of like terrazzo, which is what I wish I could afford.
http://www.mannington.com/commercial/resilient/style.asp?style_id=324&type=2[/img][/list]

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”