windows, thoughts on original metal frame please

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
krissman1
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

windows, thoughts on original metal frame please

Postby krissman1 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:10 am

i would like to get opinions about metal frame 50s windows, i am not a fan on how they look from inside the home, BUT i also don’t know what we would want to replace them with and i know it can be extremely expensive to do so. any ideas or things that you have done with your metal frame windows? Thanks

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:38 am

How long have you lived with the aluminum frames? Anything else you install will probably look weird. This is an area you want to thnk about pretty carefully.

tig64105
Modern Master

Postby tig64105 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:52 am

Fortunately you live in an area with suppliers of the new similar windows. Jeld-Wenn, Window Master, etc.....just search past threads and you'll see plenty of activity on the topic.

It's not so easy here in the midwest. You have two options: wood, or vinyl. Two purchase locations: Lowes, Home Depot.

MonezMod
Modern Fan

Postby MonezMod » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:48 am

Just finished replacing 41 windows and 4 custom height sliding doors at our house. see thread "Replacement windows - what do you get for your money?" after a ton of research on vinyl, wood, composite and aluminum frames, we decided to go with bronze anodized aluminum framed windows for the operating windows (casements, sliders and doors.) The rest of the fixed glass windows we replaced with insulated glass units which are just the thermal panes with no frame around them. these were then woodstopped into place. the painters are here now to finish the job. We too didn't like the bare aluminum look but wanted the minimalist frame that aluminum provides so we went with bronze anodized. All of the trim work is then painted to match so the frames disappear. We are very happy with the outcome. The only drawback to aluminum that i know of is that you lose a little energy efficiency, but to us it's totally worth it to preserve the modern look. Milgard is the manufacturer we used (lifetime warranty.)

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:17 am

Sounds like MonezMod found a good solution. We have all the original aluminum windows in our place and they dont really bother us. The cranks are a bit worn and require some TLC to keep working but not bad overall.

The real problem that MonezMod seems to have solved is that every replacement window that I have seen (vinyl, and aluminum) has a larger frame than would be original. Many owners that I have spoken with are told "its only 1" or so bigger" by a well meaning contractor or supplier. To me the result is visually pretty different from the original as all of the 1"'s tend to add up.

Worse yet some people are convinced that they need to replace floor to ceiling fixed windows with framed windows. This is even worse as you have a window on each side of a 4x4 post (pretty common) you end up with 8" rather than 4" in between the glass. This does not sound like much but it looks like a lot.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Re: windows, thoughts on original metal frame please

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:27 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”