Paint Removal on Wood and original intent (natural or paint)

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
krissman1
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby krissman1 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:54 pm

Hello, I know, know, live there for a while. That said, I am removing the paint on the wood walls in my den and downstairs bedroom, needless to say, this is not easy. We are using highly corrosive stuff, and Monday I have a few guys coming to take over.

Has anyone ever done this? Is there a better way that "painting" on the corrosive stuff, then scraping. It comes off easily, but then there are two more layers, so it is highly time consuming.

I was considering doing this in the living room, but I think that might take forever.

1. Any ideas on how to do this well and faster (both walls and the living room, photo attached)

2. What are your thoughts on what the original intent of the ceiling was to be, natural wood, right? Or were these painted?

Thanks!
[/img]

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:26 pm

See this thread for how I stripped paint off a redwood ceiling:
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... t=peelaway

Jeepers, what were they thinking when they painted?

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:52 am

Hi, Krissman.

I've been restoring my redwood walls recently and it's a lot of work. Like you , I started with a paint stripper and quickly changed my mind, both because of the fumes and because of the cost.

I ended up using a belt sander and a small mouse sander. I ended up sanding it first 80 grit to remove most of stain/paint followed by 120 fine grit to provide a fine finish. I used the mouse sander to do the corners and locations that are hard to reach.

Before:
http://tk.files.storage.msn.com/x1pNWjj ... De-gTR-o-8

After:
http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/x1pNWjjk ... sT5tfHE6lk
Can't promise you it'll be easy, but it's defenitely worth it.

Staar
Modern Master

Postby Staar » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:26 pm

i'd get a professional to just use a heat gun to get the paint off. it's faster and easier (according to my uncle who paints for a living). i haven't tried it yet though and depending on type of wood the walls are made of, it could scorch the wood.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:27 pm

I just used one of the new orange citrus based products, It works as well as the toxic stuff.

whippedcream
Modern Groupie

Postby whippedcream » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:39 pm

Citrastrip worked for me. It made me sick, but it took off all the white paint the previous owners ruined my wood walls with. The mouse sander with 80 grit is a good follow up.

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:56 pm

I have been a professional paint stripper for the past four years; that is to say that most of the original Oregon Ash built-ins and walls of the home had been painted shortly before we bought the house as had the exterior and decking.

Each type of scenario has a different approach. I am in love with our heat gun. Somebody’s uncle from a post above knows of what he speaks. The heat gun in the case of large flat areas (e.g. cabinets etc) can not be beat. My approach is typically heat gun, 60 grit, 100 grit, 180 grit, and polyurethane. I have had tremendous results with this method. I have generally not found a chemical stripper that is worth the fume induced headache. Although I was able to use Jasco to remove paint from our original metal framed windows, for that it worked very well.

Heat guns dont cost much (maybe $80) and if you have significant stripping to do it is more than worth it.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”