Repair Question - New Main Line - Copper or PVC?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MikeLindsey
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Repair Question - New Main Line - Copper or PVC?

Postby MikeLindsey » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:22 pm

I spent sunday digging up my yard to stop a leak in my main line. The old galvy pipe is in horrible condition and now I need to replace it. Any one have an opinion on what type of pipe I should use? Copper or PVC? Thanks.

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:13 pm

If the mainline is less than 2". I would go with sch 40 PVC.

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

Thank you! but....

Postby MikeLindsey » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:22 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:01 pm

As an electrician I recommend copper. Right now that will be an expensive choice. However, it can be, unless supplemented with a driven rod, the ground for your entire electrical system.

PacificaModern
Modern Master

Postby PacificaModern » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:41 pm

When we re-did ours, we did it in copper.(Ishould say the plumber did it in copper) The pipe is encased in a loose blue plastic sleeve. I think this it the standard.

Regards,
Marty :cheers:

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:08 pm

Copper is a fine choice; however it is about 5x the cost. For a pipe that will be run through your yard (I assume) I would go with the PVC sch 40. If you ever do work in your yard or (plant, build walls etc.) a PVC pipe can be easily repaired or modified if it has to be. Breaks or revisions to a copper pipe will require a torch and special tools; this is not too difficult but takes far more time as well as some skill. Irrigation main and potable mainlines are usually run in PVC through the yard. The potable line is run in copper once in the house. This is not always done but it is typical of new home construction in Southern California

Atomic Buzz
Modern Groupie

Postby Atomic Buzz » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:12 am

The main line to my Palm Springs Alexander was replaced with PVC several years ago. Last August - while I was away - the line blew about three feet from the house. The force of the water pressure left a crater the size a Volkswagen and the entire house was flooded! A year later, I'm just now finishing the restoration that I had to undertake as a result of the damage. My recommendation - USE HEAVY GAUGE COPPER and bury it a least a foot and a half below the surface.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:10 am

I will add, find out what the codes are where you live and follow them. If possible exceed them. In my experience overdone turns out in the long run to be just good enough. Isn't there a saying about the bitterness of low quality lasting longer than the sweet taste of a good price? Another point is that, at some future time, your home will be inspected when you sell. At that time you will be very glad you did everything to code.

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

Thanks.

Postby MikeLindsey » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:21 pm

Thanks all. I see the benefits of both materials, however we will probably go with the plumber's recommendation, copper. Thank you all for your posts. Here is a link that I found helpful.

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:21 pm

Call the water company that serves you and find out what they prefer. Depending on the utility, they may inspect the work prior to you backfilling, so it's a good idea to make sure they are happy. I think whatever you use should be a continuous piece so that there are no buried joints, which means your choices are copper and CPVC (I think). Plastic is probably easier to work with, and is definitely cheaper, especially at today's prices. Our new water service is with black CPVC, but we are in Indiana, so the codes might be different. It sounds like you already dug a trench, but if you have more to do, they can also directional bore from your meter to your house.

Good luck!

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:35 pm

[/url]http://www.doityourself.com/invt/4214540[url]

Polyethylene, not CPVC.[/url]

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:37 pm

Go with copper! Having new copper lines is a great sales point if you sell the house in the future.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

happy modernists in MN
Modern Socialite

Postby happy modernists in MN » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:57 am

I like pink toilets, pink kitchens, lambretta sx200's and bianchinas.

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

Copper.

Postby MikeLindsey » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:26 pm

Thanks all. Maybe it's a regional thing, but each plumber has suggested copper. It could also be a $$$$ thing. I think we are going to use copper.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”