newbie saying hello ... and ? about windows

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
myronx19
Modern Fan

newbie saying hello ... and ? about windows

Postby myronx19 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:23 pm

Hi all,

I own a nice late 50's home which I hope to renovate with mid century modern style combined with current modern hints.

My first major project is to replace the front windows, garage door and front door. They are the original front windows, and the Toronto winters aren't kind to my heating bill with these old windows. Unfortunately, they have to go. They were flashed with aluminum at some point (like brick mold), but that will all have to go.

Ideally, I'd love to have clear anodized aluminum frames on the exterior, with whatever on the inside, wood/aluminum/etc... I would hope this wouldn't be too cost prohibitive. The valence on the upper floor windows will come off.

What I need is an architect to consult me who really knows Mid-Century modern homes (someone located in Toronto), or at least a designer that really has passion/knowledge of this style.

I don't want white vinyl windows... bleah.. If anything, I'd get them in a Sandstone colour to pick up accents from the stone on the left of the house and the stonework under the upper floor windows. The glass blocks are staying, I like 'em, but they are a headache (they sweat like crazy during the winter).

The roof shingles are whitish/grey... something like that ;).. the rain gutters are somewhat brick colour, but they are getting old/faded and may change those if design dictates so.

So what should a home like mine have for front windows? Ahh, to expand on my aluminum frame idea.. I'd like to break up the top 3 windows to have 3 horizontal sections, not just one big pane of glass. I'd also do that on the main floor for the side windows that flank the large picture windows.

Most of the bush/trees up front will be cut down, it's all starting to block the face of the home!

P.S. I just got back from vacation in Wildwood New Jersey, lots of neat Googie architecture in the hotels there.. I've been going since I was 5, and it hasn't changed!! Thank goodness for that!
Myron Samila
Toronto, ON Canada

tig64105
Modern Master

Postby tig64105 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:04 pm

Ah, the age old question of windows. Much discussion you will find here. Just do a simple search, and you'll see many threads.

I would say that like myself, cost isn't a problem, but perhaps location. As you'll see from a bit of research, it's hard to get clear anodized minimal aluminum frames outside of the western/southwestern U.S.

Welcome to the board!!!!

PacificaModern
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PacificaModern » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:22 pm

Actually, I would bet that if you searched out an architectural glass installer that did commercial work, you could get a "storefront" system installed easily. We did it all over our house. Minimal profile, clear anodized aluminum.

good luck. let us know what you end up with.

regards.
Marty :cheers:

tig64105
Modern Master

Postby tig64105 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:34 am

myronx19
Modern Fan

Postby myronx19 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:05 pm

Myron Samila

Toronto, ON Canada

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:37 pm

I think what you are going to want is real wood windows that are clad outside in aluminum in your choice of colors. They won't be really thin. You should use casement windows (crank out) perhaps evenly spaced against the stone. If you really want them divided, (not so mcm) Then thirds would be good. It repeats the threes of the glass block. The upper windows should be as close to the same thing as possible. You can get very plain garage doors. A row of windows (plain windows) would be ok, especially if natural light would be useful inside the garage.

Hans
Modern Groupie

Windows

Postby Hans » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:10 am

Hans
Modern Groupie

Postby Hans » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:12 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:02 am

hey myronx19, welcome to the board. don't forget to introduce yourself properly on this link http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... &start=600

it sounds like you go some projects going on. words of wisdom for anyone taking on a project like this, live in it for a while, get a feel for what it IS. changing a house from what it is to what it is not can be frustrating and expensive. replacing windows is usually quite expensive and often not worth the extra money unless you A) plan to live there for a long-long time, or B) you bought it for cheap and will make big $$$$ flipping it.

"My thinking is this is the best bet for the style of the house... What "kind" of style would my home be?"

I am glad you asked that. I would call it a nondescript split level with a hip roof. Maybe a hint of prairie style in the design. nothing on the outside really says "modern" so trying to make it a modern style home will be a considerable gamble. It is what it is. clean things up a bit on the exterior, redo the landscaping, and maybe focus on the interior of the home.

My advice to anyone attempting a Modern Makeover should consider one important factor: does the house have good bones? If not, it could be quite expensive and frustrating.

I could be wrong about your intensions, but I just wanted to offer a different perspective.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:18 pm

T.O. MidMod
Modern Socialite

Postby T.O. MidMod » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:28 pm

myronx19
Modern Fan

QUICK UPDATE

Postby myronx19 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:32 am

Wow..

It's been a while since I've posted last..

But I did a ton of research and found windows that I thought would best suit the house, both for look, and for cost.

The windows I chose are pulltruded fiberglass. www.inlinefiberglass.com

They have nice profiles, and I did a brick to brick installation. My house is not a 2x4 construction, it's cinder block and exterior brick!, with a 1" air gap in between both bricks. The walls are all veneered plaster, so the walls did suffer some damage from the new windows.. which are slightly larger than the old built in windows, just due to how they are made.

Since my entire house has mahogany trim everywhere (nice profiles, very MCMish..), I was able to get 3" mahogany jamb extensions from the same company.

The two windows on either side are casements, and open to 90degrees for easy cleaning. I did other windows around the house as well.

The color I picked is close to the angel stone brickwork on the left, and I matched the garage and soffit/eaves in the same color.

I also changed my front door, well, at least sort of. It was a typical Colonial steel door, but I made a veneer panel, and glued/screwed it to the original door.

(pardon the small pictures, I'm going to upload some better shots soon.. the window treatments are temporary, but.. they don't look too bad I guess.. sheers, the upper floor windows in the shot are covered in wax paper, just renovating that room right now..).

DOOR BEFORE!

DOOR AFTER :)

Unfortunately, the little Blue Spruce in front of the door must either be moved, or cut down. Just over the entrance, I plan on installing my 5" Neutra numbers on a small black board, trying to tie in the black and give it a high contrast.

Where the wrought iron was, I am fabricating a stainless floating inlay.. with frosted glass, and subtly side lit using narrow focus LEDs.. it would look similar to the window beside the door.

If you've got a ranch, and you're looking for non-white vinyl windows.. I highly suggest the fiberglass windows.. at least the ones I have! They are extremely solid. I installed one myself, at the back of the house.. and I was very impressed with the build quality, compared to some vinyl ones I've seen. Also, these windows can be painted, over and over.. Vinyl can't. All the mechanisms are top notch and give a nice solid feel to them, the operation is silky smooth (very little effort to open/close).

Although I wish I went a little bit more extreme, kinda bauhaus'ish.. with some horizontal lites, etc.. I'm happy with what I've got!

Next is the interior.. ;) BTW: The garage door is a fake wood grain (meh.. couldn't find anything better), insulated steel door.. it's also quite nice, and makes the upstairs room quite warm now. Keep in mind, this house has terrible insulating value, only the attic is properly insulated.
Myron Samila

Toronto, ON Canada

Vippie
Modern Fan

Postby Vippie » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:42 pm

Well, hello! I have a post about how to turn my Colonial door more modern, another topic. Although my door is solid wood and yours is metal, could you PLEASE provide the details of how you created the veneer panel for your front door? Thanks!!!

scandimod
Modern Socialite

Postby scandimod » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:54 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”