Corner Windows - FL Wright

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
candesign
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Corner Windows - FL Wright

Postby candesign » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:12 am

I have a window detail in my 1958 modernist house here in the Pacific Northwest that is similar to the mitered windows FLW & others have used.
The old single pane glass in the rest of the house is been updated and I'm trying to find a glass supplier who could produce a 90 degree corner glass
window that is thermopane. Going to a thicker glass and won't solve the problem - I'll still get condensation and the R factor of glass is very low so it's got to be thermopane. My link to the FLW Zimmerman house will show you the type of windows I have. These windows are superb for unobstructed views and I'd like to keep the look original without mullions etc can anyone offer advice ?

http://architecture.about.com/od/struct ... itered.htm

MonezMod
Modern Fan

Postby MonezMod » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:09 am

i believe all thermopanes on the market have a metal spacer between the panes of glass around the perimeter so a transparent miter is out of the question with thermopanes.

candesign
Modern Groupie

Postby candesign » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:53 am

I've found several firms that do thermopane windows on a curve with a fairly tight radius but nobody that does a 90 degree - there must be someone ?

dilettante
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Re: Corner Windows - FL Wright

Postby dilettante » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:34 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:13 am

I'd agree with that. Some minor exceptions to a worthwhile improvement are definitely worth it !

Another way that Wright achieved the "invisible corner" was by making framed sash that opened away from that corner, as in the Pew house:

(The blue things within the window opening are curtains. . .)

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:39 am

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:15 pm

What about honeycomb blinds? They are relatively discrete when raised and when lowered give you better R value than a double pane window.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”