Tasteful Halloween &/or Fall decorating?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Tasteful Halloween &/or Fall decorating?

Postby robbhouston » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:56 am

Last edited by robbhouston on Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:34 am

roxy500
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby roxy500 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:11 pm

I cut out bats out of black construction paper and tape them to our clerestory windows in the front of the house. It's kind of cute.

Atomic Dixie
Modern Fan

Postby Atomic Dixie » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:16 pm

Robb, yes, indeed, congratulations to you and Spring on your marriage!

About modernist Halloween decorations, here are some ideas that came to me -- but I have no idea how suitable they'd be, either as decorations, or as d-i-y projects...

For the front stoop, how about a small tree or tree-limb with lotsa small branches, the bonier and more arthritic-looking the better, like this. http://tinyurl.com/yl5c6j (Have no idea where you'd find one, unless you go traipsing through the woods with a hatchet....) mounted on the wall or stood in a container. Beforehand, lightly spray it with some sort of refective paint and shine a blacklight on it. Maybe -- sparingly -- drape some of that fake cobweb stuff through it. Put the jack-o-lantern beneath.

For your atrium, or indoors, when you have visitors or trick-or-treaters -- a fog generator...
The $64 fog generating machine (doesn't use dry ice)
http://www.theatrefx.com/moreinfo_fg919 ... chine.html
Do-it-yourself cardboard box and styrofoam ice chest fog generator (does use dry ice)
http://www.west.net/~science/fog_generator.htm
For outside, just put some containers of water behind your uplights and drop chunks of dry ice in them. (Of course, they'd have to be replenished fairly frequently to keep the effect going) (Oh, and I'm sure you haven't made it to the age you have without knowing you aren't supposed to touch dry ice with your bare hands.... Okay, posterior-covering disclaimer completed.)

Also for parties, if you want to completely cross over to the tacky side, make some toxic-green slime punch (with floating green hands of ice, ) http://tinyurl.com/ya8lny
and serve it up in a modernist punchbowl (round, "cauldron-esque")
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr ... B00009QPP2
Toss some chunks of dry ice in it, too, so it'll "steam" and fog -- just issue proper warnings to guests not to drink or touch the chunks if any get in their cup...

For inside or out, make some modernist, Alexander Calder-style kinetic mobiles with jack-o-lanterns, skulls, ghosts, witch-hats, whatever, instead of circles or abstract leaves and onions....
http://xenia.media.mit.edu/~brand/about-mobiles.html
Make them out of cardboard/construction paper and dressmaker thread and toss them after the holiday, or make them out of something sturdier , metal or plastic, pack them away carefully, and start a tradition of using them year after year.

Is this starting to sound a little too much like work....?

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I saw a plant

Postby modfan » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:33 pm

At Whole Foods called Chinese Lantern that flowers little red orange pumpkin 'flowers' it looked pretty cool but on reading the card the plant seems to be somewhat invasive like some species of bamboo and it would be best to keep it in a pot.

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:46 pm

Couple ideas - get some nice branches, spray paint them black and/or orange, and or GITD, put in a nice architectural pot - voila.

Beistle decorations are always cool - vintage, great graphics, and they reproduce their old stuff.

illuminated rope, or strands of lights in orange along the path to your door (we do this at christmas - looks great - looks best if you can pull them pretty tight so the lights are erect - they have stakes for the purpose). Or replace all your malibu lights and outdoor lighting in orange.

What I plan to do for my party is get some pictures of friends, and photoshop them as ghouls (kinda like the images in the Haunted mansion at disneyland - wish I could do lenticulars) - print out in sepia, place in cheapo black frames, or thrift store frames painted in black.

I also have a tiki in my front yard that I put a witch's hat on.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:00 pm

congrats on the nuptials!

just like with anything else, when it comes to holiday decorating, keep it simple. put a few creatively carved pumpkins out front with a candle lit at night. you must have time to burn.

Personally, I don't like the clutter of decorations around the holidays, indoors and out. I have a 6 year-old beagle. yes, I am scrooge, but we're never home on those holidays. kids don't trick-or-treat anyomre. My wife is the opposite so we compromise a little. Plus, I work in advertising, so I see halloween, thanksgiving, and christmas in july and august. Come october and november, I on to easter... it's a cruel world :wink:
Last edited by Joe on Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

Tasteful?

Postby MikeLindsey » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:01 pm

Nothing is more tasteful than a good cemetery.

Seriously, this is Halloween. Have some fun.

I made some graves and buried some people of historical importance (to me). It's totally cheesy, but not cheap looking and can be unique. My wife is totally against decorating for Halloween, so I did this while she was out of town. When she got home she loved it and asked me to make some more!

A good friend "buried" old punks (DeeDee Ramone, Sid Vicious, Darby Crash, etc). Take the idea and make a statement. Bury Modernism, or living Enron executives.

Atomic Dixie
Modern Fan

Postby Atomic Dixie » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:11 pm

Regarding the tasteful part of the question, that's harder. Take away the Halloween elements and what you see most in fall decorating is leaves, of course, and items of harvest. Decorations with these elements are nearly always countrified, but I don't think they have to be. For example, wreaths for the front door made of colorful autumn leaves... very traditional looking. But instead of a circle, couldn't the arrangement be minimized into a sort of flowing, abstract shape, like a Curtis Jere wall sculpture?

I think other traditional elements could be used, too -- pumpkins, those little gourds, and of course, flowers -- if you put them in plain or modernist containers (and remove things like gingham ribbons....). Even a cornucopia on the dining table could be made to blend with a modern setting if it was on, say, a large teak Danish modern tray between teak candleholders with fat orange candles...

I think what makes so many fall arrangements look out of place in a modern setting is that they're overloaded.

This:
http://www.fineartandgiftdepot.com/arra ... _34751.jpg

is better than this:
http://www.crossleygiftbaskets.com/imag ... floral.jpg

But neither one seems minimalist enough to be modern. I'm thinking something more Ikebana-like but done up in fall foliage and flowers.

This is an interesting thread already. I'm looking forward to seeing what other people suggest. I'm still a newbie modernist so I can't be sure, but it seems like the coordinates of tasteful, MCM and autumn/Halloween are rather elusive... Or is that the result of conditioning from the blow-up vinyl Draculas in retail stores?

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:38 pm

Awesome ideas, everybody! Love the "creepy branch" used in combo with jack-o-lanterns. And a fog machine on Halloween night itself would be tons of fun for the neighborhood kids. Not sure if I could pull off a graveyard, as I'll be traveling most of the time leading right up to a day or so before the 31st. Not a lot of time to prepare (I have been, and will be, traveling a lot this month...uhhgg!).

I definitely realize, Halloween is just supposed to be kinda fun and light hearted. Thanks for all the great responses!

Atomic Dixie: Thanks for the general Fall decorating ideas. Cool stuff...

Oh yeah...and thanks everyone for the well wishes on my recent wedding.... :)

--Robb

PS: My website is way out of date. Spring and I finally finished a major landscaping project last month. It looks much better now. Will update when I get some nice images of it all.

A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:50 pm

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays - It doesn't involve tons of cooking and preparation, it's spooky and it's fun.

Modernist also means getting a little creative and taking a fresh look at established icons - why not some simple masks (plain ones, not a character), all the same, spray painted black or GITD white or whatever, mounted on like-painted sticks and placed along your walkway - creepy. You could back light them too.

Styrofoam easter island heads, all painted orange like so many halloween tiki tomb stones on your lawn.

African art is cool, as is Day of the Dead stuff. You don't need alot, maybe just one or two large dramatic articles.

Giant bowl of black and orange rocks or marbles.

Change out your sofa cushions.

How about a theme from a favorite 50's or 60's horror or sci-fi flick. Life size standees of characters from 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' on the front porch would be kinda fun. (alien sounding sound effects played in the background to boot.)

Hang a large round orange panel to your front door - could be foam core w/ some textured orange fabric spray mounted to it - voila, modernist pumpkin.

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:39 pm

Atomic Dixie
Modern Fan

Postby Atomic Dixie » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:46 pm

tinkerbell5
Modern Socialite

Postby tinkerbell5 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:31 pm

Keep on keepin' on,
Tinkerbell5

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:54 pm

Last edited by wwilber on Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:34 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:53 am

Robb:

Contratulations on the wedding!

How about a Tiki Halloween with haunted moai heads.

Or better yet use some orange theatrical gells over your extensive exterior lighting for a spooky scene. Or black lights!

I like to fog idea too!
"Better Living Through Modernism"

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:19 am

Congrats Robb on the Wedding!!

I am a huge Halloween fan, but being busy lately my wife and I decided to go very simple

Spider Webs, Fog Machine, Black Lights, Some Pumpkins and the Sound Track from Mark Ryden's Blood Exhibit

http://www.markryden.com/paintings/index.html

This is our first Halloween and apparently our Neighborhood gets a lot of kids.

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:18 am

lasquirrel
Modern Master

Re: Tasteful?

Postby lasquirrel » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:07 am

Sheryl

Spass Noddle
Modern Fan

Scary pumpkins

Postby Spass Noddle » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:15 am

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:35 pm

Congrats, Robb! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

teej
Modern Fan

Postby teej » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:36 am

we have some vintage beistle...

i also like the stuff from here...

http://www.christmastraditions.com/Them ... VinHal.htm

love halloween!

ranch54
Modern Fan

mcm halloween decoration

Postby ranch54 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:38 pm

Hi, we're new to the board. Just wanted to share photos of our mcm halloween decorations. The following link takes you to our slideshow.

enjoy.

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:31 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”