Fireplace sets

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jerad
Modern Master

Fireplace sets

Postby Jerad » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:21 pm

I was curious if any of you have found any cool fireplace screens, or fireplace sets (pokers, shovels, etc. ) I've seen the very cool Nelson designed set but that's a little out of my price range. I've toyed with the idea of having a metal fabricator make me a set, so please post some pics if you have any tips.

Jerad

tig64105
Modern Master

Re: Fireplace sets

Postby tig64105 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:01 pm

MikeLindsey
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

tought time

Postby MikeLindsey » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:39 pm

I had a really tough time finding an appropriate screen. I picked up a screen at Target to get me through the winter and the tools at Target were are acceptable.... for now.

Where can I find a picture of the George Nelson set?

I was thinking about installing a hanging screen. My grandparents fireplace had one and it was not offensive.

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:34 am

__
Last edited by Udo Min on Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:27 am

I picked up a 1968 Alessandro Abrizzi"s fireplace set on eBay a while back at a great price... love it and what a deal!

Last edited by Miguel on Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dalangdon
Modern Socialite

Postby dalangdon » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:26 pm

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:44 pm

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:04 pm

The new Crate & Barrel catalog just came and had a pretty nice set (not sure the screen is so good but the log holder and accessories look nice:

Heidi
Modern Socialite

Postby Heidi » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:40 pm

Wow! I just came across these......

------------------------
Heidi

http://www.beaumondeprograms.com
http://laurelcanyoncenter.com: where the creative people go.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:51 pm

occationally, a vintage George Nelson set goes on ebay. haven't really found anything contemporary that works, though.

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:34 am

There are always a few danish or danish-inspired fireplace sets on eBay. It's just a matter of always being on the lookout:

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-60s-Eames-e ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mid-Century-Modern- ... dZViewItem

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:04 pm

i'm bumping this topic - cause we're in the market for a decent set...

momp57
Modern Socialite

Postby momp57 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:49 am

This one caught my eye the other day. I thought the screen and tool set were nice. Not so much the log holder.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.as ... archPage=1

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:16 pm

Sorry for just the pics an no real good info, but
we found this one in Raleigh, NC for $50. I can't
remember where for some reason.
All iron, bowed look, tools hang on both sides, screen swings
and can be removed. One downside is it takes away some of
the hearth that is there. Pretty convenient overall tho and fits well.
Heck we left it up all year:)

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:15 pm

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:33 pm

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:12 pm

don't laugh, but i got mine from a custom guy.
he is a bit ornate in spirit, but he will do custom.
i like that a ring hangs on the wall or brick, keeps them off the floor.
my home has an organic asian feel, so it works. i got the forged twig ones
off e-bay and they are really lovely, but a simple black broom would have been nice.
had i had my wits, i would have designed my own and sent him a sketch. most designs
we would want would be a cake walk for a hand forge. no spins or twists, just a simple
hook and triangle or square shovel. just a thought....
and what a great option to design your own.
link
http://www.customdesignmetalarts.com/accessories.0.html

Scott NC
Modern Master

Postby Scott NC » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:46 am

This one's got some nice curves :D

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/core/medi ... c8a64c7b02

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Fireplace ... e-Ensemble

Futura Girl...I'll get back to you as soon as I can after I do some digging. :wink:

AJ Fisher
Modern Master

Fireplace sets

Postby AJ Fisher » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:06 am

I couldn't find a screen to fit our fireplace, so I built one (I am a metal fabricator). I used 3/4 " steel tubing, a simple drawer pull from the home store, and some expanded metal mesh. I eventually added a finer 1/8" steel mesh (not shown) to the backside of the screen to make sure any small sparks/particles wouldn't fly through the larger expanded mesh. There are some little feet that project backward to keep the whole thing standing up. To load more wood, we just tip it forward, place the wood, and tip back into place. It never gets too hot to handle.

The fireplace tool set to the left is from a thrift store. It is unmarked, but looks very Danish to me. I saw an identical set a couple months later, but didn't buy it since I already had one. My guess is this set was widely available.

-AJ

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:57 am

most fireplace businesses can make or order a custom-fit recessed chain screen. flat black is best. they tend to "disappear" rather than add to visual clutter like most store-bought decorative standing screens do.

Plus, recessed screens are more authentic for mid century homes. I paid about $80 for mine.

AJ, I do like the simplicity of your screen. nice.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:26 pm

santa left behind a nice new fireplace grate. good design. keeps the fresh logs and smoke
high and back. big bank of coals pump out lots of heat below. keeps the big open room a toasty
74. With the thermostat in the same room on a far wall, the heat never came on all day. also never
really need to poke and tend it. just adding a log an hour or so keeps it blazing. poking is the fun part,
so i did it anyway and an occasional triple log for a blast.
weighs a ton. well made, (american), they answer the phone, and make sure you order the right size.
and received in two days.
the beauty is, i can keep my original chain fence. and i can stop the stress of searching for some
crazy fix. (glass doors, expensive insert, etc)
no logs rolling forward, and it doesn't seem to spark into the room. sparks down. (and our wood is pretty
damp from the snow and icy rain)
so, problem solved. initial concern was a winter storm knocking out power for a lenghty time.
and the pets have a new favorite spot...

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:32 pm

That's a great photo. . .!

Merry Xmas.

SDR

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:56 pm

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:16 am

AJ,

I really dig the screen that you fabricated! Where do I sign up for one? :wink: I can't ever seem to find a standard screen that is wide enough to cover the entire opening in our fireplace (to say nothing of finding one with the appropriate aesthetics).

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”