Johnsons Glass House

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Johnsons Glass House

Postby classic form » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:19 am

If you haven't seen the November issue of "Metropolis" magazine you should run out, right now, and get it. 21 pages of the house and compound which will be open to the public for the first time this spring. Beautiful pictures old and new with "amusing anecdotes" from freinds.

MD²

Postby MD² » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:00 pm

Thanks form: http://www.metropolismag.com/cda/story.php?artid=2377

...the Mies "copy" that got it all wrong, from the man with the Le Corbusier glasses...
:wink:
I once wrote an extensive analysis on this house. I'll see if I can dig it up...
I also had the chance of meeting with Johnson about 10 years back when he was working on a building at Friedrichstraße 200 in Berlin.
This last building was done after he had parted with John Burgee, his ¼ century (1967-91) associate in charge of design...

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:51 pm

Thanks, cf. I missed this til now; there are several threads about this property. Too bad I can't locate them !

I was seven when the house was built, only twenty miles from home, though I first learned of it in the later fifties and have never visited.

My high school art teacher and a family friend, Mabel D'Amico (hubby Victor directed education at MoMA) reported that the drive of the Johnson compound was cleverly designed (she said) to make it impossible to "drive in and take a peek" without making an awkward scene. Who knows. . .

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

home_boy
Modern Master

Glass House Preview

Postby home_boy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:28 pm

Some friends and I got the opportunity to preview the Glass House last month. Here are a few snapshots that give an idea of the scale (and perhaps the first photo ever of the bathroom! : )

Here's some information on how you can visit:
Last edited by home_boy on Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:50 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:40 pm

Paul Warchol's photo of the Glass and Brick houses (#5 in the Metropolis slide show) shows the house as an ethereal presence in the end-of-day sunlight. Lovely.

Thanks for the scale-giving and otherwise informative photos, home_boy. The opening "portrait" is particularly nice.

SDR

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:39 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:59 pm

Thank you so much.

It takes a bunch of words, from different mouths, to provide some semblance of an architectural experience -- or a social one. My sense of the house, and the life in it, is growing.

SDR

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:31 pm

I'm a MCM newb... still learning here. I just love this house and in particular those nifty two chairs sitting side by side in several of the photos. can anyone identify them and maybe tell me what other similar style 'knock off' chairs might be obtainable by me? I'm in denver colorado so I'd have to get them via mail order or locally (craigs list, used shops or new). thanks in advance!
Geek with Style

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:48 pm

The chairs are the Barcelona chairs of architect Mies van der Rohe, designed in 1929 for the German Pavilion of the Barcelona (Spain) International Exhibition. The chair, made of polished stainless steel and leather, is one of the icons of modernism. It has been made by Knoll for the last half century or so. Many knock-offs are made in various countries around the world.

SDR

http://barcelona-chair.blogspot.com/

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:31 am

http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

classic form

Postby classic form » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:21 am

Seeing as Johnsons Glass house and Mies' Farnsworth house are mentioned in the same sentence so often...which one do you all prefer?

I am leaning towards Farnsworth (although that could change after visiting the glass house)

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:32 am

ch

Postby ch » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:15 am

Well, I just toured the Glass House yesterday and was lucky to have a glorious day. One aspect which I know fully understand with this and the Farnsworth (which is not knowable from viewing photos) is the relationship between the house(s) and their site(s).

Standing in the Johnson house you don't even really "see" the house at all. It seems to be the simplest container for the view, which from this house is spectacular - the sightlines just go on and on as the house is perched on a promotory. So while the house appears earthbound when compared to the Farnsworth and its stilts, you really do soar in the Johnson.

It was also great to see a well-lived in house. It's not all as as fussy as it seems in the photos. I do hope the ongoing restoration leaves some of the remains of human inhabitation and does not turn the buildings into pristine displays.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

You're lucky

Postby modfan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:11 am

Marcala
Modern Socialite

Postby Marcala » Mon May 26, 2008 1:05 am

Taken on May 6. Lucky to get a couple of tix for this sold out tour. Great estate. I removed the "pool" from the foreground for this picture.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon May 26, 2008 7:48 am

Interesting article in Sunday's NYT on another Phillip Glass house in the same neighborhood -- one you can actually buy.

PS to Marcala: Nicely framed photo, using the stone wall!
scowsa

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon May 26, 2008 9:19 am

Yes, that's a lovely photo, from an uncommon angle. And you get a peek into the bathroom. (This trumps FLLW's notorious early-morning visit, when the owner(s) were still in bed, according to the story. . .)

More Marcala photos, sez I !

SDR

modfan

Don't mean to rant on but it's usual

Postby modfan » Tue May 27, 2008 12:51 pm

In re: the link 2 posts up.

And may be beyond the scope of this board but......

What is it with rich folks that they need to make something larger and more prententious and damn what anyone else may think and say screw you all I'm gonna do what I damn well please. Is it some disease that they catch from Donald Trump or something?
Or is it AKA 'Money talks?'

classic form

Postby classic form » Tue May 27, 2008 1:59 pm

One word...nouvo.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue May 27, 2008 3:33 pm

scowsa

classic form

Postby classic form » Tue May 27, 2008 4:25 pm

Well...you do have a point. I'm sure that the neighbors around our house weren't real happy when this "double wide" was planted at the end of the street. Our house is surrounded by english tudors and colonials that were built in the 30's and 40's.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue May 27, 2008 5:35 pm

That is a trippy photo, isn't it -- the change in form and scale, in vegetation, even in the elevation of the lot and the apparent perspective, all conspire to place your house in another universe. . .a universe I find infinitely more desirable, of course. . .!

SDR

modfan

but

Postby modfan » Tue May 27, 2008 10:29 pm

I remember reading an article may not apply directly but something about McMansions becoming the new slums because of the demographic shift to smaller families, the empty sub prime mortgaged foreclosures standing empty and unmaintained (and I have seen it driving thru out the Inland Empire) you can easily spot the reo's and foreclosures, it's kinda like the new car market with no one buying suv's and the car companies were not investing in new product like they should have and the result massive plant closures and employee layoffs and (some cases) retirement buyouts.
They make the excuse that 'thats what people want' but is it really?, they are made to want these because it's profitable for the car companies and homebuilders.

As for 'home offices' that's just a cheap way of turning the extra bedroom into a more single precise purposed room-they don' t have to install a closet and perhaps a shower in the adjacent bath. and put double doors on the rooms' entry.

Oops I'm rambling perhaps this should go to a different thread

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed May 28, 2008 1:19 pm

Yes we are Off Topic, but....

I was just speaking to someone this week and was comparing the McMansion to the SUV.

It appears that large SUVs are worth pennies on the dollar when they are being traded for more fuel efficient hybrids etc. I was forcasting a similar fate for the 8000 square foot McMansions with a few more years of fuel driven inflation.

ch

Postby ch » Wed May 28, 2008 3:25 pm

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed May 28, 2008 4:29 pm

scowsa

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”