DIY metal roof?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dentedvw
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

DIY metal roof?

Postby dentedvw » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:07 am

I was up on the roof yesterday cutting a hole for a bath vent fan, and while trying to be gentle on the shingles, they cracked and broke up pretty easily. I ended up gluing the bits back on with the tube of tar stuff I used to seal the vent to the roof. It will probably not leak, but it looks like I probably should consider replacing the roof next year. I already repaired one leak at a seam with the chimney. :?
Is DIY standing seam metal roof even a remote possibility? I would consider my handiness as a bit above average, but while I have removed and replaced a regular tar shingle roof before, I have never even seen a metal room being installed before, outside of the horse shed/barn I built once. That doesn't really count though, since horses don't mind a bit of a leak here and there. 8)
I don't know the pitch of our roof, but it is gentle enough to walk around easily on it, as I have done several times.
Or should we just go and put up the standard shingle job? Two layers on now, so I figured we should probably tear off, then start with new. The gutters are in pretty good shape though.
I can only give you what I think you said you thought you wanted.

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:30 am

You can probably do it yourself, but it gets more complicated if you have hips or valleys. I would also use something like Grace Ice and Water Shield over the entire roof, with 30# felt over that, and make sure you understand all of the flashing details. And don't forget that just because you can easily walk on the roof, a fall from even a single story can cause serious injury.

nherold
Modern Groupie

Postby nherold » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:34 pm

We didn't attempt to DIY our standing seam for a number of reasons, one of which is that the metal comes in a giant roll and the panels are made to fit onsite (hence the expense in installation. each job is custom.). I wasn't there to see it all come together, but from what I understand there is a crimping machine of some sort that puts the seam in. We had panels up to 40' long, which would have been impossible to maneuver if they had been steel because of the way our house is situated (we used aluminum instead. sooo much lighter.).

Oh, the walking on it part. You have to walk on the seams only. We figure if we ever have to go up on it for any reason we'll wear our climbing shoes which have special sticky rubber on the bottom.

One last thought...I wonder how the warranty is treated by the material manufacturer if it's installed by anyone other than a licensed roofer...

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:22 pm

I would have to agree that it would be a pretty big job to do yourself. Aside from the giant roll of metal that is cut on site (and bent to make the beginnings of the seams, which then slide into the beginning-of-seams of the adjoining pieces), there are a lot of little details that seem like an enormous, tedious, pain. The finished seam isn't made by a machine, but by a hand tool that the guys use to further bend the seams together. Our roof is a mansard, so maybe it has more annoying details than you would have for a normal roof. No one had to walk on ours, they just had to go up and down ladders for each piece. No matter which way you go, be prepared to pick up tiny little curly pieces of metal from your yard for years to come.

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:15 am

This is an example of what I had in mind when I read the original post:

Sheets are preformed, available in lengths up to 47 feet. I assume they have all of the flashing parts necessary. There is also ribbed metal roofing, which is similar. There should be a metal roofing supplier in Michigan who can help you figure out what you need.

dentedvw
Modern Socialite

Postby dentedvw » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:02 am

I can't see that site, might be because of filters at work.
But, you have the right idea. I was wondering about the types that arrive ready to put down, just cut to fit.
And, of course, I don't intend to walk on my roof for pleasure, we have plenty of other hobbies (such as climbing, yes, even in michigan) that keep us busy otherwise. :P I know all too well the dangers of falls, I am a tech for a company that frequently sends me up on roofs, towers, etc. Plus, while one side of our house is one story, the other side is two, it's on a hill. I dropped my tape measure the other day and watched it dissapear into some tall grass. Still out there. Heh!

The truth is, we aren't flush with money, and need to be conservative with our improvments. The metal roof would be terrific, but of course, standard shingles are easy, and widely available. It will probably come down to the $$, and you know that means shingles. But, I would be remiss if I didn't explore the other options.
Hiring the job out is simply out of the question.
I can only give you what I think you said you thought you wanted.

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:24 am

Not that it really puts a dent in the cost, but for the 2006 and 2007 tax years the IRS is offering tax credits (not deductions) for energy improvements, including metal roofs. The maximum you can get for the 2 year period is $500.
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=p ... _credits#2

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:07 pm

Excuse my Ignorance, but I had no idea that metal roofs would be considered Energy efficient!! Being that I am in California, would putting a metal roof on my house make any sense. Would my house be cooler / warmer in the summer / winter . I like the look of a metal roof and I will most likely change my roof within the next few years.

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:09 am

From the website of the company that manufactured my metal roof...

PermaColor 3500
An .8 to .9 mil full strength Kynar 500® fluorocarbon (Polyvinylidene fluoride PVF2) coating over a urethane primer of .2 to. 3 mil on the finish side, with primer and a washcoat on the reverse side of steel.
Englert's new, ULTRA-Cool™ low-gloss metal roof coatings are standard on all PermaColor 3500 products and help reduce energy bills up to 50%. Englert's spectrum of ULTRA-Cool coatings meets Energy Star® and LEED™ Version 2.2 requirements for reflectivity and emmissivity and comes with a 35-year warranty on the Kynar finish.
Englert’s Ultra-Cool metal roof coatings dramatically increase the reflectivity of medium to darker color roofs, meeting Energy Star specifications for cool roofs. Consequently, architects and builders can enhance the appearance of their projects with the use of medium and darker colors and save warm weather energy costs because reflectivity keeps the roof and interior spaces cooler. In addition, the use of Englert’s Ultra-Cool coatings on metal roofs has several positive impacts on the roof, its structure and the environment. Heat is reflected away from the building, urban smog is reduced when environmental temperatures are reduced, the life expectancy of the roof increases due to less expansion and contraction and public monetary incentives are available for using reflective roofing products. Englert standing seam metal roofs are available in a wide variety of Ultra-Cool colors including dark bronze, charcoal gray and matte black.

We chose a light color (Dove Gray). I don't think the standard Galvalume is Energy Star rated. And it has a thirty-five year warranty (thirty if you are within 1/2 mile of the coast). This is why I said I would be hesitant to paint a metal roof in the thread about the Portland Cliff May. The paint that the manufacturer uses, and the process they use for applying it, seems to have many benefits.

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:20 am

Thank you, I am going to look into this. My Wife and I have been playing with the idea of different roofing materials. Currently we have T&G which is original to the house. I like the look and may just go with that, but the Metal roof is interesting. Also the possibility of foam installation has crossed our minds. We have a few years left before we have to deal with this, as our current T&G roof was only 3 years old when we bought the house and then we had a roofing company come out to inspect, patch, add more rock and give us a 3 year guaranted warranty.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”