Favorite Cabinet makers?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bitzala
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Favorite Cabinet makers?

Postby bitzala » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:57 pm

Hey there-- anyone have a favorite kitchen cabinet company for wood veneer cabinets?

My search did not lead me to any info on Scavolini or Woodmode, two companies that were recommended by non-board members.

I see lots of good references here for Ikea-- not sure if Ikea is best for DIYers, which we're not.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

bitz

dentedvw
Modern Socialite

Postby dentedvw » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:29 am

Even though you are not DIY'ers, as you say, are you going to be doing it yourself? If so, Ikea is a great option.
I don't have any experience with the others, though it would appear they are very, very expensive.
I have seen that you can get some fairly nice cabinets at Home Depot now too, but I forgot the name of the line. They are more modern than the styles you would ordinarily see there, and therefore they probably don't even have any of it on display. Info regarding those cabinets was either posted here, or on dwell, I cannot recall, and my search didn't turn up anything real fast.

We simply reused the ones in our kitchen, but are looking for a cabinet maker to replace the doors, drawers, and hardware to update it. They are all quite worn out, but the wood frames are in good shape.
I can only give you what I think you said you thought you wanted.

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:05 am

KERF
http://www.kerfdesign.com/
- Really nice stuff, kinda pricey. We had them build us a media cabinet and it is very solid and exactly what we wanted

IKEA
- installed in our kitchen, Great Price, good quality.
We are not DIY's, so we used the Contractor IKEA works with. Basically came out to an additional $75.00 per cabinet installed minus the cost of the cabinets themselves (Still cheaper then anythig else out there)

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:09 am

Both of those mentiond cabinet maker's do sound expensive. In general, I've noticed the harder it is to pronounce the company name, the more expensive the product.

Ikea has recommended installers and if you can build the boxes (not difficult), just about any kitchen contractor can hang them.

Another option you may consider is a local cabinet maker. If you're doing a bigger job (ie: built-ins in the living room and office in addition to kitchen) you may be pleasantly surprised at the cost and quality. The other nice thing is that they will make whatever you want -- exactly -- and you're not limited to a palette of 10-20 finish choices.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:00 pm

thanks dentedvw, BOXOUTBM & Stephen... your responses were so helpful!

We are not DIYers and have no plans to become DIYers. :) So, it's good to know that Ikea does have their own contractor. I saw a tv commercial last night for Ikea's kitchen cabinets. They do look good. Glad to hear you have been happy with them, BOXOUTBM.

RE: out own cabinet maker-- we do have one, Stephen. I haven't asked him for a bid on the kitchen yet, but will. Just thought it might be easier to work with a kitchen store that specializes in modern cabinetry and design, vs. finding our own designer and bringing in our own contractor.

Is it easier to have a custom cabinet maker build the stuff (as opposed to having cabinets built by an Ikea type store)?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:21 pm

SkipHome
Modern Master

cabinetmakers

Postby SkipHome » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:40 pm

Just had my new custom kitchen cabinets installed in my Palm Springs Alexander. I was surprised to find out that (some) custom cabinetmakers can produce cabinets much superior to Ikea for about the same or less cost. I did not want frameless, flush type cabinets. I wanted birch plywood with veneer, no hardware, just like the cabinets of the period of my home. My cabinetmaker found gorgeous natural birch and matched it all perfectly. He's in San Diego (Alpine) area but may consider work in LA.
Contact Kevin Beyerlein, 619-445-0491

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:57 pm

As just about everyone here knows, we have an IKEA kitchen. We're not DIY types (mostly lack of time). But you really don't need a contractor to install IKEA kitchen cabinets for you. Their assembly is completely straight forward and doesn't even require tools, except for that little key they give you. They are all pre-drilled and pre-cut. Of course, mounting them to the ground and the walls takes a bit more effort and muscle, but it's still doable for anyone with basic working knowledge of the power drill. Again, it's pretty idiot-proof.
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:54 am

Egads-- thanks for your input. You're confirming what I've heard too. I was told that factory cabinets, made out of state, have better finishes than a cabinet maker in CA can provide... I believe it has to do with environmental regulations in CA limiting the products they can use?

Skiphome: Thanks so much for the referral. Your cabinets sound gorgeous! I think we will end up doing frameless, so it will be interesting to see what kind of bids we get.

Chimay-- I think your kitchen was the one that opened my mind to Ikea. It looks beautiful. That's surprising that no tools were required. In our kitchen, we will need some custom fitting, to make things work. We are not afraid of the task itself-- lots of assembling done in the past. Just not willing to spend the time anymore. :o)

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:30 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:45 pm

Not just the environmental regulations removing some lacquers from the market, but new high tech finishes that can only be applied in a factory setting.

I have assembled a lot of Ikea stuff and for knock down furnishings, it's top notch. It is however mostly made of particleboard. (a lot of rich people have particleboard boxes for their cabinets) If particleboard doesn't bother you then the Ikea stuff is way better than the Mills Pride at Home Depot.

If you want plywood boxes you will have to buy cabinets from a cabinet manufacturer like Kraftmaid and even then pay for the upgrade.

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:44 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”