IKEA KITCHENS...

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PrettyHateMachine
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

IKEA KITCHENS...

Postby PrettyHateMachine » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:24 am

Has anyone installed an Ikea Kitchen in their MCM home? If so, can you provide pics? The reason why I'm asking is that I'm interested in purchasing Ikea cabinets b/c of their modern look and great prices, but I also know that not all modern goes with MCM. I guess I'm looking for some inspiration. Thanks!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:10 pm

too funny...

i just drove down to l.a. this past weekend and picked up all of the base cabinets. (i have to make a second run for the uppers - cause they wouldn't all fit in the car)

no one else seems to make affordable modern looking cabinets - and plus we are do-it-yourselfers, so we took the easy and cheap route and decided ikea.
they have these new cabinet fronts that are opaque glass and i think i might splurge and do our upper cabinets in that finish?
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... =S99826304
(pic shows turquoise, but fronts are also available in white.)

i will keep you posted on our progress.

MD²
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby MD² » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:13 pm

Hi noljos, might I suggest you take a look at this thread first: http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2924

:cheers:

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:28 pm

PrettyHateMachine
Modern Fan

Postby PrettyHateMachine » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:41 pm

Hello Futura Girl and MD v2.0 (beta) and thank you for your quick responses. I will check out the threads you recommended.

Futura Girl: Please keep me posted on your progress. I love the shiny finish on the Abstrakt cabinets.

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:33 pm

Hi noljos, My wife and I recently completed the "Restovation " on our Cliff May Rancho. We used Abstrakt WHite Cabinets from IKEA and Have been very please with them. I posted some photos (Link Below) on the Board a few weeks ago. I am hoping to put a website together with more before and after photos of the home.

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8040

Good luck

PrettyHateMachine
Modern Fan

Postby PrettyHateMachine » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:16 pm

Real nice! Love that kitchen BOXOUTBM. Those Abstrakt cabinets are perfect. I'm thinking of using white Abstrakt cabinets with Ferrarri style doors like the ones you have for the uppers, the Hallarum (eucalyptus) for the base cabinets and white formica for the counters.

PacificaModern
Modern Master

Postby PacificaModern » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:55 pm

Here's the finest example of an IKEA kitchen I've ever seen...

Check out the entire thread at http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... ght=chimay

This kitchen, and place are sweet!

Cheers,
Marty :cheers: :cheers: *** ***

siobhanmarie
Modern Socialite

Postby siobhanmarie » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:48 am

my hubby and i finally finished our 'restovation' with ikea cabinets in our 1955 post and beam. my husband and i did all of the designing and construction ourselves, with the exception of the stone countertops. we used the pale blue applad cabinets, which have recently been discontinued. we have been very happy with them over the past several months. and the snap-in drawer dividers are awesome. if you purchase the painted cabinets from ikea, i would recommend buying some extra drawer/cabinet fronts in case of excessive wear or dinging to the finish. they are relatively inexpensive.
we also chose to build the cabinets on legs and use all drawers (except under the sink). the legs match the original bath vanities in the house that are also on legs. i like the horizonal line of the drawers and i think drawers are a much more efficient use of space if you have a smaller kitchen. we kept the original upper cabinets, which were the only pieces in the the old kitchen that were not in awful condition. we also restored the original recessed lighting above the cabinets. we added the light under the cabinet, as this room has no direct lighting.
http://homepage.mac.com/siobhanmarie/PhotoAlbum5.html

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:08 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:17 am

siobhanmarie
Modern Socialite

Postby siobhanmarie » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:26 pm

PrettyHateMachine
Modern Fan

Postby PrettyHateMachine » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:28 pm

siobhanmarie
Modern Socialite

Postby siobhanmarie » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:10 pm

thanks~ they are penny round ceramic tiles. my original choice, a heath ceramic tile, was going to cost a whopping $3000 for just the backsplashes. these tiles cost 1/10th of that and ended up being my favorite element.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:30 pm

Remember: if you're assembling cabinets that utilize European-style cam fasteners in conjunction with wood dowels, the application of wood glue on those dowels (curiously not mentioned in any IKEA assembly instructions) will more than double the useful life of the cabinets. Tite-Bond II waterproof yellow glue would be a good choice.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

happy modernists in MN
Modern Socialite

Postby happy modernists in MN » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:23 am

We did an Ikea kitchen this spring, assembling & installing them was the easy part! I posted the story on the Ikea fans website if you are interested (grab a cup of coffee and a comfortable chair....)

look at the kitchen before and after, warning, over a 100 pictures...
we sold this house in october, didn't even get to enjoy the kitchen, oh well. Now we have a vintage pink and brown one.

kristin in MN
I like pink toilets, pink kitchens, lambretta sx200's and bianchinas.

Ryan
Modern Fan

Postby Ryan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:00 am

PrettyHateMachine
Modern Fan

Postby PrettyHateMachine » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:36 pm

PrettyHateMachine
Modern Fan

Postby PrettyHateMachine » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:38 pm

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:51 pm

We've had an Ikea kitchen for 10 years (Abstract light grey which was discontinued shortly after we bought it) and I was always very happy with it. Recently we decided to buy a new kitchen (not IKEA) and de-installed the old one. When we disconnected the three high cabinets frome one another, the bottoms of two of them simply broke away. So don't overload high cabinets!

dentedvw
Modern Socialite

Postby dentedvw » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:16 pm

I can only give you what I think you said you thought you wanted.

bnolan
Modern Groupie

our IKEA kitchen

Postby bnolan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:49 pm

We remodeled our kitchen in October 2005 with all IKEA cabinets. We have a condo, and although it was built in 1964, the building itself is not MCM. However, we are remodeling the inside of our condo in full modern design (anyone have a womb chair they want to donate?).

Instead of having a dining room table, which would take up valuable space, we decided to create a lower "sushi bar" on the opposite side of the main counter and range. Under the bar, we maximized cabinet space using IKEA wall cabinets and adding legs and stainless steel doors.

Many before, during and after pics here: http://www.briancnolan.com/album/#Kitchen_Renovation

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:40 pm

Well Done. I like how you brought the Tile From the Kitchen Backsplash and incorporated into the "Sushi Counter"

PaulKaplan
Modern Master

Original? or Ikea?

Postby PaulKaplan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:51 pm

I'm in the process of renovating my Alexander. It has the original kitchen with peg board sliding doors on the cabinets. What's the general concensus...get rid of the original cabinets and replace it with an Ikea cabinet? or just paint out the original ones, and replace the old pegboard with new? (I prefer the pegboard, but not sure what everyone else would prefer).

It has the original appliances which are very cool, just not all that practical, so probably going to put in some new Miele or something that fits in the small spaces.

Thanks for anyone's opinion...I should have photos soon.
The Paul Kaplan Group, Inc
Architectural Real Estate
1701 N Palm Canyon Dr. #5
Palm Springs, CA 92262
www.MidCenturyModernPS.com
760-459-1396
DRE 01325586

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:16 pm

weeellllll... we just replaced our palmer and krisel kitchen with ikea.
we were going to replace the uppers with sliders, but it was just too much for us to handle doing right now.
however SDR did incredible plans on how to modify them so you could do new pegboard sliders:
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8380
and i would prefer pegboard to sliders if we had the time/budget to make it so...

if you can salvage the existing cabinets - i'd say do it if at all possible.
we did put in new pegboard sliding doors for our bath cabinets - that was a quick easy update/fix.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”