Brookfield, WI MCM kitchen makeover

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carpie
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Brookfield, WI MCM kitchen makeover

Postby Carpie » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:51 am

Greetings to all MCM fan(atic)s! Happy Holidaze to you.

My wife and I own a very nice MCM in Brookfield, Wisconsin. After 3 years of living in it, we decided to have the kitchen re-done. We tried to keep it somewhat true to the original design, but to update it also.

Here are the results of our efforts.

These are the BEFORE shots:

DURING:

And AFTER:

Image[/img]

The new floor is cork, and all of the counter/cabinet surfaces are Formica. The custom panels for the fridge are also Formica. The sliding doors are all reversible, so we can change the color from the beige to the red.

Please feel free to let us know what you think. :)

(There are some other interior and exterior shots posted in the GALLERY in the Midwest Modernism section. Enjoy!)

-Dave

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:54 pm

looks FABU.

really an inspiration as we are doing our kitchen right NOW!

eggMCMuffin
Modern Socialite

Postby eggMCMuffin » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:44 pm

Those cabinet handles were a really nice choice-- They look like an exaggerated (but still very sleek) version of the handles you see in some original MCMs. I think it's very much in keeping with your desire to update in a way that respects the home's original design.

Hope you have many happy meals in your new kitchen!
You are born modern, you do not become so.

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:54 am

Great job! I was happy to see that the cabinets and backsplash survived.

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:57 am

Great Job. Looks really nice

Carpie
Modern Fan

Postby Carpie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:52 pm

Carpie
Modern Fan

Postby Carpie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:57 pm

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:29 am

Wonderful color choices, it looks just great. Nice work preserving much of the original kitchen. I'm jealous of your above-counter window, that's a beautiful feature. I also love the cork floors. What sort of finish is on them, to allow use in a kitchen?

(Thanks for the heads up on this thread, and sorry I'm so late responding. We had weeks of both ISP and phone line problems here, making it impossible to view photos).

Carpie
Modern Fan

Postby Carpie » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:54 pm

"It's not for everyone, but at least it's ours!"

MartiP
Modern Fan

Postby MartiP » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:04 pm

Beautiful job, and a nice compromise, I think.
"In my experience, well-read people are less likely to be evil." -- Lemony Snicket, The Slippery Slope

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”