My rancher rehab

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

txmod
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My rancher rehab

Postby txmod » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:08 pm

When this house was listed I showed it several times, and more times than I care to remember the response was "I would have to RIP OUT those bathrooms and kitchen!"

Some days being a mod Realtor takes some real restraint....

I finally ended up just buying it myself. In the baths all I did was repaint. The faucets had already been changed out on the sinks, and I changed them out again with something I thought was a little closer to the original look. New flooring in the kitchen and den, blinds, counters, some modwalls tile and 3 rejuvenation.com cone fixtures later....

My goal was to put the house in a position that should I end up selling it, which I might, a broader audience would appreciate the original details instead of feeling the need to replace them with whatever Home Depot has sitting on the shelf this week.

Here is what the den and kitchen looked like before:

With just some minor tweaking:

Everyone curled their lip at the colored tile bathrooms, especially the idea of a pink one, but with the right colors, I think they turned out fine.

ttblair
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ttblair » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:15 pm

FANTASTIC!!!

Ryan
Modern Fan

Postby Ryan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:52 am

wow, an amazing rescue of what looks like a great house. congratulations.

mutcth
Modern Fan

Postby mutcth » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:59 am

That looks amazing - so glad to see how well the original cabinets looks in a more updated (or at least not drab country) color scheme.

What's the new floor?

Also are the new fixtures the one's above the kitchen sink? - love those. Of course the pendant in the den is great (but that looks original)...

Juliet

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:26 am

Wow!
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

grh122
Modern Master

Postby grh122 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:42 am

Wow Robert your place looks really cool. You need to show all of the peeps on HAIF as well. Great job!

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:34 am

the light fixtures above the sink are new, from rejuvenation.com. The hanging fixture in the den is original. The floor is VCT.

This house is a good example of the ones I so often see overlooked. It really isn't a mod, more of a standard ranch. MCM fans tend to overlook ranches because they don't have the architectural punch they are looking for, and non-MCM people just think they look dated and need to have everything ripped out. Unfortunately too many times its the latter that wins out. Of course if you fix them up correctly, a lot of ranches adapt real well to a more mod look. This one was being sold by the original owner and I just couldn't stand the thought of someone going in and ripping out all those great original features!

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:19 am

Great Place!! Well Done on the Remodel. The Bathrooms are my favorite (Not to take away from the amazing job you did on the kitchen). Looks like the house was really well taken care of.

apower
Modern Fan

Postby apower » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:22 am

What was the story with that cut shrine in the hallway? That thing was a trip. I'm hoping that there were photos of all of the original owners pets over the years in it when you bought it.

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:14 am

Glenbrook Valley was mostly Italian when new. The Provenzano's that built it, being good Catholics, had a shrine designed in the house. It is an original feature included in the blueprints. I have seen variations of the shrines in several of the houses down here. Not being Catholic, I am not quite sure what to do with that just yet....

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:59 am

FANTASTIC!

You did an excellent job restoring the cabinets. I LOVE the Green color on the walls. Is it by chance "Sherwin Williams Brassy Green"?

Did you paint the floors?

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:00 pm

TXMod:

You need to come to California.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:11 pm

I'll be there tonight!

Anyone want to get together later in the week?
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:14 pm

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:15 pm

"Better Living Through Modernism"

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:17 pm

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:20 pm

Stephen

Wow! Are you scrapping the ceiling yourself?

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:29 pm

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:29 pm

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:25 pm

Ryan
Modern Fan

Postby Ryan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:36 pm

VCT = vinyl composite tile
usually used in office kitchens, photocopy rooms, mailrooms etc.
our local home despots have a large selection of colors from Armstrong.

As for the shrine, perfect for displaying your collection of Precious Moments figurines :D

eegs2k
Modern Groupie

Postby eegs2k » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:55 am

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:27 am

post50modern
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby post50modern » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:47 am

Hi, I was shut out of the boards because I had to change my contact email address and it has taken a week to get reinstated...so I have been dying to comment on your ranch rehab for the last week but couldn't! :cry:

I cannot believe how you transformed that place from drab to fab! You made it sound so simple in your description of how you did it but I am sure it cost a few bucks and ALOT of your time. The kitchen is magazine material! Every choice you made...the paint color, the tile back splash, the countertops, the cabinet cleanup was spot on.

Asolutely gorgeous!

well done.

cosmiccreations
Modern Groupie

What a awesome job!

Postby cosmiccreations » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:10 am

You stayed with the bones of the house but oh what paint can do! The white floors are the key! As a ranch dweller I am constantly looking for great ideas.
Love it ! Love it! Love it! Very Impressive.

We now need to see the outside photos! ***

aim4123
Modern Fan

Re: My rancher rehab

Postby aim4123 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:59 pm

aim4123
Modern Fan

OOPS

Postby aim4123 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:07 pm

txmod
Modern Master

Postby txmod » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:33 pm

jkc
Modern Fan

Postby jkc » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:50 am

txmod,

Did you use Olde English & Liquid Gold on the same panels? Any recommendations on which to use when (or was it just a matter of both were needed to get the best look?)

Thanks

J

punagirl
Modern Fan

Postby punagirl » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:06 am

[quote="txmod"
This house is a good example of the ones I so often see overlooked. It really isn't a mod, more of a standard ranch. MCM fans tend to overlook ranches because they don't have the architectural punch they are looking for, and non-MCM people just think they look dated and need to have everything ripped out. Unfortunately too many times its the latter that wins out. Of course if you fix them up correctly, a lot of ranches adapt real well to a more mod look. This one was being sold by the original owner and I just couldn't stand the thought of someone going in and ripping out all those great original features![/quote]

Around Atlanta they would buy this house as it was and add a whole new second level, make the facade look "tudor" and brag about how authentic their creation looks.

You did a great job.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”