Wood floor recommendations please

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bnolan
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wood floor recommendations please

Postby bnolan » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:46 am

Can anyone give recommendations on hardwood or laminate floors that would look nice with Ikea Hallarum kitchen cabinets? I was originally thinking a maple color for the floor, but now I am not sure. I also like a wood I saw recently that looks like a blend of thin strips of light to mid-colored wood (sorry, don't know the name of it). Any suggestions would help! And photos of your floor would be a HUGE help!

Here's the kitchen:

AlcoaMCM
Modern Socialite

Postby AlcoaMCM » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:14 pm

Nice kitchen! My mom is thinking of doing some Ikea built-ins, so I'll show her this picture (plus others in the various kitchen threads) for ideas.

Not sure what to recommend for flooring. I'm a fan of bamboo for kitchens like yours, but if you're thinking of something that's varied from light to dark, perhaps you're thinking of hickory?

drsiebling
Modern Master

Postby drsiebling » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:04 pm

Bruce makes a nice engineered hardwood in a variety of colors and different woods. We installed approximately 1000 square feet of this stuff in my last house - - it is really quite nice. Pre-finished floors are definitely the way to go as the finishing process is very durable and you also don't have to deal with the mess of sanding and finishing floors in your home. As to the advantages of traditional hardwoods over engineered boards, a lot of that will come down to what kind of foundation your home has. Engineered boards tend to work best when paired with slab foundations and traditional hardwoods work better with peer and beam. The main reason for this, is that engineered boards have a greater tolerance against warping and can be installed directly on a concrete slab. If you use traditional hardwood on a slab foundation, then it is best to "float" the floor above the slab so that moisture can't build up between the boards and the concrete.

Here's a link to Bruce Hardwoods (they are a division of Armstrong):

http://www.bruce.com/resflram/na/bruce/ ... dwood.html

Good luck!

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:59 pm

The floor you mentioned could have been vertical grain bamboo - the carbonized color is my favorite.

Jerad

vlopez
Modern Socialite

Flooring

Postby vlopez » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:31 pm

We recently installed vertical bamboo in the natural color and love it! It isn't as "hard" as we thought it would be, though. Our dog Jack has done more that his share of scratching the floor while running throught the house, so I wouldn't recommend it for dog traffic.

will-san
Modern Fan

Postby will-san » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:09 pm

My girlfriend is selling her condo and has the same cabinets, with a very light engineered hardwood floor. You can see it If you like it I can find out the exact product. I think it looks great in her place but might not be the right tone for you given all your blue green tile.

We are currently shopping for floor for our new MCM. (pictures and lots of questions as soon as we close escrow) I like the look of Bamboo but lack of scratch resistance is a real concern.

Just as an aside, I love this site. I have been lurking, and reading threads for a while now but this is my first post. Kudos to everyone here.

Will

bnolan
Modern Groupie

Postby bnolan » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:57 pm

Thanks for recommendations and photos. All of your places look great. I really like the light bamboo, although since I have dogs I don't know if it would be a good idea. However, I have seen some engineered bamboo lately that looks pretty good. I also really like the maple color...can't really go wrong there.

I would love to see more pics.

S'Wonderful
Modern Socialite

Postby S'Wonderful » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:48 am

Life is good!

freeda
Modern Socialite

Postby freeda » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:50 am

We have 3 huskies, and the laminate flooring we got at Lowe's has held up beautifully. It's a reddish oak color.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”