Entry Foyer Screen Images

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Udo Min
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Entry Foyer Screen Images

Postby Udo Min » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:28 am

Here are a few images of design ideas for our entry way which spills into the dining & living areas. We would like to obscure the sight line as soon as we open the front door to our newly opened living / dining area. The structural beams are clad in Redwood 1x. We still have a bit of stripping to do. The flooring in the rendering is an existing cork floor that will be refinished or replaced as needed. We are toying with replacing the lover doors to a mechanical & coat closet with a veneered sliding set of doors- with a veneer that carries on up to the ceiling. I can strip a bit of paint of these doors to see what the doors are made from. Let us know if anyone would like these doors. They are in excellent shape & believe they are original. If not we will take them to the restore...
Regards-

Got a little more sheetrock up. The skimcoater will be on site next week to smooth out the ceiling & walls. We are beginning to source some of our wood for the baseboard & window trim...& built in shelving:
3/4" th for the shelving & 1/2 for the baseboard & interior window trim..Image
Last edited by Udo Min on Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:40 am, edited 6 times in total.

Sienna
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Sienna » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:45 pm

Cool graphics - what program did you use?

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:03 pm

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:42 pm

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:28 pm

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:47 am

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:56 am

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:44 pm

Jerad-
Just got back from checking out your garage. Good way to save on lumber costs by milling your own channel siding. Steve & I are very impressed. We also saw a good place to hang your engine hoist. Nice work crew...
See ya soon,
Eric

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:37 am

Nonezzat
Modern Groupie

Postby Nonezzat » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:12 pm

I think the entry divider design has a nice balanced feeling to it. I look forward to seeing pictures when you implement your finished solution.

When we help renovate my in-laws' house, I'm planning to suggest a tearout of their divider, which is just a half wall covered in wallpaper. When we replace the flooring, the wall needs to go.

I wanted to share a memory of seeing a really interesting divider that I saw when visiting my father in Toronto a few years back. Anson did several custom projects for a dentist couple in Toronto and one was their entry divider. This couple collects museum quality textiles, and many Inuit wool duffle wallhangings which are sometimes borrowed for exhibitions. (Google Jesse Oonark, for example.) Most of their pieces are large, but they wanted to display some smaller textiles. Anson built simple line wood-frame display case with glass on the front and back. The frame of the case seemed about 5-6" thick so the textile could be suspended between the front and back glass panels. As I recall, this was about the same level in height as the entry door, but the case was suspended 6 or more inches from the floor. One of the glass panels was hinged so the display item could be removed. The width of the case was 30 or more inches wide. I remember the case was about 6" wider so there was 3" of open space so it was suspended in the frame -- like looking at a framed painting and the open space was the "mat".

It was a snowy day when I visited and recall it as an unusual and moving experience to walk into a house and as I was removing my snowy boots and handing over my coat, I was immediately faced with this beautiful art. A little different than just a painting on a wall and so much nicer than a built-in bookcase wall. This solution also nicely delineated the entry vs sitting area and provided a little privacy on the other side of the panel where the sofa, chairs etc were placed.

Good luck with your projects.

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:08 pm

Here are a few mock-ups for the entry foyer edge lit material.
Hopefully I can work on the 3-form rep to cut us a break on the chroma panels. Another local lighting manufacturer drums up these killer super small led lighting modules- with very nice warm color temp leds. A company down south of Kansas City named light wild...

http://formcastshadow.net/house/Sheetro ... GP1842.JPG
Last edited by Udo Min on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

64Cat
Modern Socialite

Postby 64Cat » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:11 am

UdoMin,

Are those kraftmaid venicia cabinets I see in the first pics you showed?

If so, how do you like them? Did you install them yourself?

Thanks,
Karl

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:29 am

Eric,

I really like how the cantilivered ledge into the hallway turned out. That's a design element that really seems to have faded away but it's such an awesome way to add geometric interest to a space and provide unique places for indirect lighting. It also produces interesting shadows.
Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:55 pm

Not sure if we are going to finish before all this work before the baby arrives:
Here are is a photo of sheet vinyl floor removal.
4 layers to remove. The inital layer was the original linoleum tiles.
Such a nice product. I guess the 2nd or 3rd owners couldn't live with the floor so they covered the linoleum with this sheet vinyl. The pattern starts to grow on you....

We are probably replacing the louvered doors... With Birch Sliding panels- If anyone is interested. I can check out the wood under the paint & will donate them to another home in need... Probably a clear grade fir...
Solid wood construction from 1955...

Udo Min
Modern Master

Foyer Screen

Postby Udo Min » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:18 pm

We have changed our design quite a bit for the foyer screen.
Those 3 form Chroma resin panels were a bit to pricey for us & since we had enough wood already in the garage we decided to go with building screen entirely from wood. Inspired from jalousie windows...

http://www.formcastshadow.net/house/Hou ... creen.html

After seeing this danish fence we had even more of an idea of what we were after...
http://k-h-m.dk/media/File/hegn/Jalousie2.jpg
http://k-h-m.dk/media/File/hegn/Jalousie.jpg
http://k-h-m.dk/media/File/hegn/JALOUSIE3.JPG

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm

Ni-i-i-i-ce ! Keep it up. . . 8-)

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:21 pm

Thanks SDR-
Congrats on your retirement.
Since I just got laid off from my current gig. We should have some time to get these house projects finished... & post some more progress...
Also have some time to work for Moderns-r-us getting some of his designs
modeled out in 3D...
Being laid off is not so bad at all- The days go by so much faster when your not confined to a cubicle.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:27 pm

It's twoo. . .

Time seems to have a different flavor. Keeping occupied is essential -- and not hard to arrange, as something always needs doing.

Glad to hear you're helping our friend MRU. He's earned our gratitude, I think. Let me know how it goes.

Have you seen a house in Switzerland (?) that's entirely screened with wood louvers ? They are permanently tilted, at an almost vertical angle near the bottom and graduating to almost horizontal at the top (where the view windows are). So cool.

SDR

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:26 pm

SDR-
Send us a link to that wood louver house:

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:31 am

I'm looking -- it was posted (twice, I think) over at archinect, but without a name I'm having trouble finding it. None of the expected keywords brings it up. . .

SDR

Udo Min
Modern Master

Stephen was right it did take quite a bit of work to get....

Postby Udo Min » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:34 pm

from rendering to reality:
We finally got around to hanging the front closet doors right before the holidays...
Before & After... with a new family addition between the progress:

http://www.formcastshadow.net/house/Hou ... doors.html

Happy Holidays!
Eric, Saskia, Nils & Ria

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:24 pm

Really nice !

Merry Christmas to you all, too. . .

SDR

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:17 pm

Looking good. Love the screen!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”