Disposing of Old VCT tiles....SAFE?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Moderik
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Disposing of Old VCT tiles....SAFE?

Postby Moderik » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:47 am

Hello all,

Well, I pulled back the carpet in my new apartment and it revealed the orig. VCT (i'm assuming) tiles from 1958. They are warped and in very bad shape, very brittle. I was wondering if it is safe to remove and dispose of them. I was told that they used to be made with asbestos? Anyone have any information on that? Anyway, here's a pic....

Less is More.

domus48
Modern Socialite

Postby domus48 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:38 pm

Chances are good that there is an asbestos content. Generally the preferred method of dealing with this issue is containment (i.e. leaving the existing material and installing new flooring over the existing). However, if the existing material is loose and/or buckleing the situation becomes somewhat more problematic.

If you opt to remove it you should have it tested for asbestos. If it does contain such it should be removed by a licensed hazardous material service.

Hope this helps.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:56 pm

do a search - i know we discussed this before someplace?

Sienna
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Sienna » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:00 pm

Is that VCT or Asphalt tile?

Moderik
Modern Fan

Postby Moderik » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:29 pm

how can you tell the difference? the tiles are thick, not thin like laminates.
Less is More.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:42 pm

Oh it's asbestos. All of it was back then. Removal is a problem. There are threads here dealing with it. Also googling "asbestos removal" will give you
all the legal and safety issues.

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:12 pm

Moderik
Modern Fan

Postby Moderik » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:12 am

Less is More.

Dallasmodern
Modern Master

Postby Dallasmodern » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:09 pm

You can assume any tiles smaller than 12x12 will contain asbestos. However, most mastics used into the 1970's contained asbestos. The VAT's (vinyl asbestos tiles) themselves are safe as long as they are undisturbed. They may be loose or easily pulled away.
Nonfriable asbestos materials in good condition may be exempt from your local regulations and therefore may not need a be removed by a licensed abatement contractor. Proper disposal guidelines will likely vary. Check with your local municipality. Removal, if done by a licensed abatement contractor, will not be cheap.
It would be my recommendation to leave the floor intact, as possible. Clean the floor, but do not sand or scrape. Fill voids with leveling compound in preparation for new floor covering.
Good luck with your new floor.

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:19 pm

there are extensive topics here on the material, but just so you know, it only contains a very small amount of asbestos, and though needs to be disposed of properly, isn't so dangerous as long as the tiles are removed (and they remove very easily with a tile popper/scraper) and don't get crushed into tiny pieces. good luck!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”