Bought my 1st MCM apartment!!!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am

Well done! A very cool space with the staircase and the deck area (cool fence) providing a great backdrop for your furniture.

Time you hung the rest of your art, though :wink:
scowsa

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:09 am

I love it. I know some will say you should have kept the original bath, but I like what you did with it, and I am sure it is infinitely more functional for you. The kitchen is clean and appropriate (IKEA?) and I really like the stairs stripped of carpet and refinished. I would move in tomorrow.
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:46 am

Let me be the first to congratulate you on an awesome job. From your first picture I always thought the stairs could be a real gem and I'm glad to see I was right.

Also, I think the bathroom turned out great. Additionally, I really like what you did in the kitchen. In renovating modern properties it's hard to balance many competing forces: cold vs warm, vintage vs contemporary. I think you hit the balance just right. While the configuration and appliances are very much 21st century, the amber-tone on the wood and the stainless pays homage to the home's 1958 construction date.

My only criticism in the entire place is minor, and mainly of personal preference: I don't know what it is, but framed art "sitting" on the floor really bothers me. It seems cluttered and shabby to me, like you weren't quite finished decorating. Additionally, with your floating vanity cabinet it just reinforces the dissonance.

Awesome job!
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

janelom
Modern Fan

Postby janelom » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:17 am

I really like what you did overall. It really looks fabulous. The only things that I would have changed were in the bathroom. Pretty nit picky but I would have recessed the bathroom mirror into the wall tile and I would have used a sink that was not so tall. Here are some pics in the below link with recessed mirrors and shorter sinks. It's not my bathroom. I wish it was but it's actually the home of a local architect in Dallas. I hope to incorporate this look into our remodel when we get to that point.

http://dallasmodern.typepad.com/

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:52 pm

Well, yes vessel sinks are kind of banal and overdone. In this case the least offensive type was used. The thing about modern, to really get it right, is that there is no "decorating" it's all form follows function. At least for the infrastructure. When one is spending so much money it's hard to make things as plain as they should be. My knit pick here would maybe be the stainless steel front on the dishwasher. Should have been a cabinet face. But considering you tore it all apart and put it back as restrained as you have is truly admirable.

Steven, maybe he just can't quite bring himself to put holes in all those new walls. The Art may just not be up yet.

I hope all those vintage crane fixtures ended up on Craig's list and not the dumpster.

hannah
Modern Socialite

Postby hannah » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:20 pm

You've really added life to the place and done a wonderful job! It's so full of light, and I especially liked the shot of your study area lookiing out to the deck. Nice pics, great job! Congratulations!

The little house we're going to be redoing (when it FINALLY closes) is going to be a bit more on the 'tacky/loud' side, with taste....I hope. :)
It may not look like it, but at the molecular level I'm actually quite busy.

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Wow-ee! Great job; you really took on a difficult but admirable task.

I know the hanging staircase has been replicated in many houses, but its placement here reminds me of Neutra's VDL House for some reason. It definitely makes a great focal point to the living area (even if it does draw the eye away from that bad-azz kitchen! :wink:).
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Moderik
Modern Fan

Postby Moderik » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanks everyone, and Yes, I have since hung the artwork :) I was waiting until I got everything framed and proberly placed. As for the bathroom and all the counters, I am 6'4" and had everything placed several inches taller so it works well, for me. I did all of this knowing that I am not going to move for a very long time.
Also, I ended up donating my fixtures to the other owners in my building since many of them kept their original bathrooms. As for the kitchen and the stainless steel dishwasher, I would have loved a matching wood front, but a budget was reality and I was 26 when I started this.

Still one of my favortie features of this townhome is all of the natural light. My electric bills are usually about $40/month since I hardly ever turn on any lights during the day, the space is just flooded with light and it's a great way to wake up in the morning. I really wanted a clean modern look, but warm at the same time. I also wanted to honor the histroy of the building, and I think I did a good job. Everyone that comes over always comments on how warm and cozy my place is and how it just feels like a home :)
Less is More.

Catman
Modern Socialite

Postby Catman » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:54 am

I absolutly love your place.
Congratulation.

8-)

turboblown
Modern Master

Postby turboblown » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:23 am

Nice place! I especially like those exterior ground level lighting fixtures- very unique. They look like 4" thinwall PVC on their exterior. Do they use a spotlight or regular bulb inside?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:39 pm

turbo, those don't seem to still exist. To see what the place looks like now, you have to click the link at the bottom of the first page. The atrium seems to be redone with what looks like a bronze bullet in ground below the new tree.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”