Moving into the Ranchos! 1st Q: T&G roof vs shingle

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
travelteam
Modern Socialite

Moving into the Ranchos! 1st Q: T&G roof vs shingle

Postby travelteam » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:36 pm

travelteam
Modern Socialite

Postby travelteam » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:02 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby egads » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:33 pm

I also like the approach the Kramers' used on the house they flipped on Lanai. They used shingles, but added insulation board to bring the level
up so cutting down the facia was not necessary. The worst part of using shingles is losing the width. Our houses look the most original with the original details. I was lucky, the previous owner replaced the t&g about four years earlier. I love the built in gutters.

travelteam
Modern Socialite

Postby travelteam » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:06 pm

Hi Egads. Do you know what roofing company the previous owners used? Sounds like you're happy with it. Anyone else have contractor recommendations?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:51 am

travelteam
Modern Socialite

Postby travelteam » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:10 am

S'Wonderful
Modern Socialite

Postby S'Wonderful » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:31 am

Life is good!

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:29 pm

I would like to see a foto of a newly installed T&G roof...

Can you just throw some rounded pepples on a EPDM roof with flypaper for the same effect...

Our place sits fairly low in the landscape so a tar & gravel roof fits well for a final capoff to the original design intent on the exterior of the home.

I guess we are on a similar path of roof choice in the next few years. I'm glad we have a few years to do some homework on roof options.

We like the stuff Jerad has used on his garage..
http://bp2.blogger.com/_NVdVlQaxQLM/Reh ... CN0461.jpg

But would like to add stone on top to add the cool original texture that once graced our roof.

lasquirrel
Modern Master

Welcome to the neighborhood

Postby lasquirrel » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:09 pm

Great to see some more rancho enthusiasts!!!!!
Sheryl & Mel (shipway)
Sheryl

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:01 pm

we're on kallin and we recently did an electrical upgrade and went with vince ducros upon reco from boxoutbm. he and his team were excellent. the mr. has all his contact info, but i'll post it for you soon. welcome to the neighborhood!

-rachel & ephraim
it's good. ...for now.

cupcake
Modern Groupie

Postby cupcake » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:31 pm

We just bought the house on Roxanne and are interested in the contact info for a good electrician. Our roof is new but I don't think any electrical upgrades were made when they did the roof.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:59 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:30 am

travelteam
Modern Socialite

Postby travelteam » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:43 pm

Thanks everyone for the info! The more we research, the more we're leaning towards the T&G.

It's looking like we may not get it done until after we're in there though... was hoping to avoid the mess falling on all our stuff... But I think it might be smarter to plot out any electrical updates before we do the roof, and to do that I think we need to live in it a bit. I'll be holding onto Vince's #.

Thanks, again!

mutcth
Modern Fan

Postby mutcth » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:01 am

looter
Modern Fan

Built-up tar and gravel roof

Postby looter » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:36 am

travelteam
Modern Socialite

Postby travelteam » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:35 am

Great info, looter! Thank you!

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

on related note

Postby modfan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:07 am

For those that live in the area (Foothill Moderns?)
Is there a group of Cliff May designed homes at Grove and Mt. Gleason streets in Tujunga? Or are they just similar looking knockoffs?

travelteam
Modern Socialite

Postby travelteam » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:16 am

Hi Gang. Just thought I'd share the outcome of this post. We went with tar and gravel and white rock.

We didn't install the raised fascia boards with downspouts for a few reasons:
• It doesn't rain here often enough.
• We added 1 1/2" of insulation, and didn't want the fascia to be too tall and out of proportion with the house.
• We don't want to deal with rotted boards from ponding water on the eaves.

We were going to do them just to help keep the rock on the roof a little better, but instead had flashings bent so that the lip on top raises up a little higher... we'll see though. I'm sure we can still look forward to collecting buckets of white rock after rain storms...

Check it out. You can also see a few other projects we've tackled.
Last edited by travelteam on Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:01 pm

Matt the house looks great. Alison and I saw the progress during our Daily Walk. The Rocks falling Off are not that bad, at least not at our house. We collect most of the rocks on teh Trash side of our house (Not sure why), but I usualy just sweep them up and throw them back on the roof. gives me an excuse to get up there

S'Wonderful
Modern Socialite

Postby S'Wonderful » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:37 pm

Looks great, Travelteam! Congratulations on all the progress you've made! We really like our T&G roof -- as you said, it really complements the look of the house. Love the exhaust fans -- can I ask where you got them? I may need to steal your idea! :)
Life is good!

travelteam
Modern Socialite

Postby travelteam » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:30 pm

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:05 pm

Hey Travelteam, I just saw your blog for the first time and watched the video:
I must say that I'm really impressed with the work you've done and continue to do, and in so brief a time too.
You deserve a heap of compliments. Keep up the good work.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:18 pm

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

travelteam
Modern Socialite

Postby travelteam » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:42 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”