Nice european style cabinets

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
64Cat
Modern Socialite

Nice european style cabinets

Postby 64Cat » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:51 am

AlcoaMCM
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby AlcoaMCM » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:59 am

Nope, I hadn't seen those before. Thanks for posting!

freeda
Modern Socialite

Postby freeda » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:55 am

Ooh, very sleek!! :)

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:36 pm

One of my neighbors has his kitchen done up in the dark red - it's very nice and not too pricey.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

gwdiener
Modern Master

Re: Nice european style cabinets

Postby gwdiener » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:10 pm

will-san
Modern Fan

Postby will-san » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:26 pm

We are in the process of cabinet shopping too. We looked at Ikea and The Venicia but once we really got our heads around the layout we realized that because space is so tight we need to go custom.

If anyone has any suggestions for a reasonable custom cabinet vendor in In LA who can do euro-style cabinets we would really appreciate it. Hopefully because the Kitchen is so small we will be able to do custom and not break our budget. Fingers crossed.

sketch up model of the current design

64Cat
Modern Socialite

Postby 64Cat » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:25 pm

will-san
Modern Fan

Postby will-san » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:57 pm

Google Sketch-up. It's really cool and it is free. (
there is a pro-version that costs $500 but I have not had the need of any of the pro features yet.

I also discovered that Kitchen-aid has almost all their products pre-built in what they call the 3d warehouse which is really smart of them. I wasn't necessarily going to buy kitchen-aid but since I know what they will look like I may lean that way.

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:37 pm

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:51 am

Nice Design Will-

Can we see a floorplan of your layout? Are your upper cabs trimed in metal? Where can we get those 3d appliance models that you used in your rendering. We were looking for free 3d appliance models the other day to plug into a rendering, but could'nt find any.

will-san
Modern Fan

Postby will-san » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:17 am

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:44 am

By the way, Ikea also has a free download kitchen designer. It only uses their products but includes pricing.

Their AKURUM series looks kind of nice on the web, I'm going to look in store to see if the quality comes anywhere near the photography :)

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:40 am

Here's a little advise. My friend just redid her kitchen. Against my advise,
she used an 18" dishwasher. I thought it was too small for her house.
(I'm currently using an 18" portable) Well, i was just there at a party, and the Miele 18" loads so well that it easily held all we could throw at it. So for a small space.....spend more for less.

And my biggest kitchen advise. Drawers not pull outs. Why open a cabinet door and then pull out a drawer? It's called a base pots and pans. Two deep drawers and a normal one on top.

will-san
Modern Fan

Postby will-san » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:54 pm

Egads you just made my day. The layout adjustment I was talking about involved going to an 18" dishwasher. Which solves tons of problems for us. So Glad to hear someone give the idea a thumbs up.

The Miele is like a grand and the GE is about half that so I am going to need to check them both out in person to see if the Miele is worth the premium.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:34 pm

Well dishwashers are all about how they load. I am using a Danby from Best Buy (a short term solution) About $300 (and they have a built in that's stainless & black) Loading it is a PITA. I've never liked GE dishwashers. If I had to buy domestic, I'd look at the Whirlpool. But let me tell you about the Miele. It has a shallow rack at the very top for silverware. It makes no noise. And comes in a model called Incognito. You put a matching cabinet face on it. Blends in completely. Well worth the price. Bosch also makes an 18" unit. What I like about the Bosch is an inline heater for the water. The problem with all these new super efficient appliances is they use so little water you can't get hot water to them. By the time they are done filling, the hot water is only 1/3 of the way across your house from the water heater. So, I say go for the best you can afford. Even if it means having an 18" space for awhile. And of course, do shop around. Figure out the exact model you want and then find someone to sell it to you at a price you like. Pacific Sales, Synder Diamond, Friedman's, LA is a very competitive place.

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:19 pm

I'd have to 2nd that an 18" dishwasher is a PITA (although we didn't have a Miele so you should check it out).

The guy who built our LA house apparently ran short of money and cut corners with a really cheap Home Depot kitchen including the 18" dishwasher. I don't remember the brand but I hated it. Fortunately we had room to rearrange the kitchen when we redid it and made room for a larger dishwasher. We got a Whirlpool model that came with an inline heater but I would really like a super quiet Bosch one of these days.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:35 pm

I wrote that whole post and did not make my main point very well. The only reason the 18" works in the case I cited, is because it is a Miele. Now other "tall tub" units may offer as much additional room, but the Miele has the silverware rack. That means that the silverware is not taking up room on either of the other racks. It makes a big difference. My old Whirlpool had a silverware rack mounted to the door. That gave me similar space on the racks. Another thing you get with all these high end european dishwashers is a door that stays right where you put it. There is no point where is just falls on your legs or slams shut. It's the simple elegant touches that make a difference. Especially on something you use everyday. Splurge!

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:25 pm

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:08 am

We have a 24" inch Miele dishwasher, and I love it. The upper rack for the cutlery makes it worth every penny!

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:55 pm

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:45 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:26 pm

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:12 pm

Got to cut up a sample of the Alta Mirror series of the Kraftmaid Venecia line & found out the doors are made from a very solid sort of core. Colored ABS like- Polished finish is solid color for about 1/32" thick. Last time we spoke to Kraftmaid about scratching the door finish they sent us a nice small polishing & buffing kit... Here is a cut peice of the door photo for reference...
The cab box is just a light grey melamine finish with a less dense type of core...

Have fun with your selection

will-san
Modern Fan

Postby will-san » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:23 am

Here are a few more sketch-up views of our revised kitchen plan. the 18" dishwasher and a slightly smaller fridge made a world of difference in terms of actual cabinet space. The idea is for the lowers to be custom and the uppers are stock Ikea (frosted glass with aluminum frames).

Again anyone with any leads on affordable custom cabinet makers in LA would be my new hero

gwdiener
Modern Master

Postby gwdiener » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:52 pm

will-san
Modern Fan

Postby will-san » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:57 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:17 pm

will-san
Modern Fan

Postby will-san » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:43 pm

The dishwasher is in the original location, so that is easy. Getting the sink out into the island is a bit of a pain but our plumber seems to think it will be ok. Our real sink will actually have two basins, and be fairly deep.

I didn't mind the sink in the corner, but I am not the only one with a say....

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”