Doorknob Question

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

jesgord
Modern Master

Doorknob Question

Postby jesgord » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:50 am

I know the topic of doorknobs has been discussed here before. Seems like most people go with schlage/schlage style orbit, tulip, or plymouth sets. I've got my heart set right now on what LA Hardware calls their Bellwood set. See link (they are the wood and aluminum sets on the lower left):

http://lahardware.com/store/?cat1=antiq ... age&tmpl=2

The only problem is cost. LA Hardware claims that these are based on a vintage Schlage design. (My guess is from the 1960's if Schlage even ever made them)

While they may not be everybody's cup of tea, I happen to like the organic feel of the wood handles juxtaposed against the metal detailing.

That said, I'm trying to find an option similar to this but less expensive. Does anyone know if Schlage ever made this doorknob / lockset and if they did, what it was called. I'm hoping I might be able to find some vintage sets if I can identify the name/style number. Also wondering if anyone can suggest a less expensive, but similarly styled alternative?

Thanks for your help!!!

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:13 am

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:20 pm

Curious what the cost is. Do you have a Link?

Mid-Century Gent
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mid-Century Gent » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:47 pm

Gotta LOVE Liz's! I have been in this store many times. Although, it is pricey, they always have great stock. Really like your choice of "Bellwood" doorknobs.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:19 pm

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:28 pm

Mid-Century Gent
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mid-Century Gent » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:12 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:58 pm

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:28 pm

Liz's has some good stuff but they'll happily overcharge you for stuff you can still find if you really look, after all, their location puts them smack-dab in the middle of a customer base w/far more disposable cash than street-smarts. I've always been under the impression that the stuff on the "new" side of the store was either high-line new stuff or new old stock; but since it's been mentioned it's entirely possible that they're selling Latin American market stuff at a mark up. For the money the still widely available Schlage Bell can't be beat, I do like the use of wood on the Bell Wood though.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:51 am

Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:36 am

I spent days looking for an alternative source for the Bellwood knobs sold by Liz's. As it turns out, these knobs are manufactured and distributed by a Schlage subsidiary in South America. Not only are they produced in the rounded handle version that Liz's has, but they are also made in the tulip version and come in several differnt woods including rosewood

That said, getting the small number I needed purchased and shipped to New York proved a to be a large undertaking. It would have involved contacting one of the distributors, sub-distributors who has what I want in stock and is willing to ship to the US. At the end of the day, I will be purchasing the sets from Liz's as they are just what I'm looking for. I'm gonna bite the bullet on price, for convenience and certainty.

dilettante
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Re: Doorknob Question

Postby dilettante » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:52 am

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:10 pm

For some reason, I just love the doorknob topic :? Those handles above do, indeed, look similar to the bellwood knobs. They also lokk like a cross between the "Orbit" and "Bell" designs. I'm gonna se what I can scare up on these :idea:

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:30 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:39 pm

No luck yet.....but I don't give up easy. :wink:

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:26 am

i still like the Bellawood best.
not finding much else...
this one is not for everyone, but would work on my door. (not keyed though)
i like its simplicity but not the finish and seems a low quality.
http://www.amazon.com/Rubbed-Bronze-Dum ... 333&sr=1-9

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:50 am

As stated above, I've decided to bite the bullet on the bellwood sets. I truly believe that the right hardware and fixtures can make a huge difference in the overall appearance of a house... attention to details, attention to details...... :roll:

I have been unsuccessful in finding the knobs above. They are not showing up anywhere I look. That said, i found this interesting lot on ebay (NOT MINE) and dig the small chrome ones with the square plates on the far left

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:15 am

i'm set on the bellwood as well, and i can imagine that it will only
improve with use. and just 'feel' right.
the collection above...love the square plate.
the bed/bath dozen i need will most likely be the mushroom.
they have a nice feel. better than the tulip, and are a low profile.
(some of my original tulips are of cheap quality brass-like, and may be my
unfair dislike of them. also seem so tiny and hard to 'handle') my parents have the
same ones and they feel loose and wiggle, always have.
the price for the bellwood is not that unreasonable.
have you installed them? are they as grand as they look?

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:55 am

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:13 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:51 pm

Look what I found.....

For sale on ebay starting bid $6.99 + $10.99 s/h See link below

Have asked seller who is the manufacturer....will report back

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:14 pm

I'll jump in here to say that when Kwikset bought Schlage they completely dumped the quality product line Schlage used to make. Even the commercial
line currently made is not the same as I remember. The clue is exposed screws holding the inside on. There are however, several companies making real commercial quality knobsets that are as good as Schlage used to make. I don't know off the top of my head the manufacturers names, but it seems like they may have even bought the machinery or patent rights. The lock pictured above is obviously exactly like the old Schlages. The only hassle when buying commercial locks is the backset. (the measurement from the edge of the door to the center line of the lock hole) This can be overcome by just getting a latch with the proper backset. I did it with some odd ball Orbit style knobsets here. A place like Liz's wants the money they do because they have done all the sorting and cataloging for you. If you are willing to do some digging at a salvage yard or asking around at an old locksmith, you can find some of this stuff cheap. The old Orbits I have are branded: Sargent

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:37 pm

jesgord,
You are quite the sleuth! I have been looking for these knobs for more than a year, though in Satin Brass or Brass. I, too, have contacted the seller to see if those finishes might be available. I've also asked if the backset is adjustable to 2 3/4" as well as the 2 3/8" listed, since I need both backset distances for various doors.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for your diligence!

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:08 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:57 am

the heavy duty variety are easily had, but only in stainless and at a price
of 275.-ish. this one is from McMaster-Carr.
http://www.mcmaster.com/

finding them on e-bay is the best way. often recycled from a school or hospital and built well
enough to be used again.
no screw attachments on the rose in nice. but never in brass that i have seen.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:01 am

another favorite source!

Grainger.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1TPT1

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:11 am

18 pages of choices. this has a nice simple relationship between
the rose and knob and a more shallow stem than most...

(and 17 of those 18 pages are N/A...but that is just catalog. they usually
have them)

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:38 pm

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:24 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:40 pm

regular passage?

i'm being picky. but i would like to see a deeper full moon indent, with a crisp
edge?....i'm picky. and not a turn lock. (that other simple one)
i bet they have it...

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”