Doorknob Question

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby rockland » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:00 pm

dilettante. i'm just tossing out there. i would love to find the earlier post knob.
just a struggle when so many styles exist and not anything is really good
enough.....but i'll keep looking. an orbit can't have a key with out an indent.
but i know i saw somewhere a year ago, just what some are looking for.
(a deep moon indent, crisp and clean, without lock or passage twist lock. it just had the
little hole for emergency enter).

but yes, it is an orbit. and another amazon search was so extensive in page quantity, i got
side-tracted. my bet is jesgord will find it.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby egads » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:14 pm

Entry= keyed lock
Privacy= lockable with an emergency way to open.
Passage=no lock at all
Dummy= no latch used on inactive french door pairs and closets with other catches.

Remember, you can use a passage on an entry door with a separate deadbolt.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:18 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:48 pm

dilettante
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby dilettante » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:29 am

I believe I've accidentally found a complete set of doorknobs that are of the shape I've been looking for and have been discussed here. They are the NU-SET Dana series. You can see the complete Dana series .

I could not find mention of an ANSI grade, and not all knob flavors are available in all finishes, but there you have it!

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:44 pm

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:16 pm

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:29 pm

We are in our last week in a space age high rise before we move to our newly bought 1952 ranch. The numerous units vary in vintage level, but there are original features of some sort nearly everywhere.

Workmen tossed a door into one of the rubbish rooms. It had one of those Schlage doorknob sets. One screwdriver and some elbow grease made it mine. I can use it in the new joint. Not a bad quick salvage.

Now if I could only find some of those vintage sliding doors before I leave... 8-)

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:53 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:36 am

Parkwood60
Modern Fan

Postby Parkwood60 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:19 am

Hey guys,

A few notes on this topic: The Schlage style like an orbit but with the scooped face (sometimes referred to as the "Egg Cup") is officially known as the Saturn, not to be confused with the Schlage lever by the same name. The awesome thing about the Saturn is that it is SOLID CAST BRASS, not hollow like most other Schlage knobs.

Kwik-set never bought Schlage, not that I know about. Ingersoll-rand bought them. There are several different series of differing quality within the Schlage brand. At the top is the D series, in the middle is the A series, both with with concealed screws, and both nearly the same as the old sets sclage has been making since the 1920s. At the bottom, and at Home Depot, is the F series, with exposed screws on one side.

The bellwoods at Liz's ARE older Schlage designs, and in order to get them she (Liz) had to order in a huge quantity, and wait months for them to get here and clear customs. If you compare them to an A-series entry lock (I found Orbits online from $69 to $100) They really aren't that far out of line.

Anyone from the L.A. area really ought to go to Liz's as they have not only the stuff on the web site, but also lots of other vintage modern stuff as well. There are a whole bunch of vintage Schlage doorknob backplates that you aren't going to find anywhere else.

For the next week They are having their annual sidewalk sale, and everything in stock is 25% off, today thru September 3.

BTW, its no secret I work at Liz's, I think I made that clear in my post explaining a few things about center mount doorknobs.

Bryan Wood

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:18 pm

I used the bellwood knobs in my home and could not be happier. Well worth the price as far as I'm concerned!

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:40 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:06 am

I used the passage and privacy sets inside the house. I did not use it for the entrance. For the entrance I wanted a lever, so I used a Walter Gropius lever from TECNOLINE.

iwantarummer
Modern Fan

hardware

Postby iwantarummer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:18 pm

hi folks.

a new eichler owner myself, that had some of the same difficulties finding appropriate hareware. i started a website to help people like us find everything mid century modern, new century modern.

please check out hardware. much more to come. just uploading it all now.

http://www.onestopmodern.com

:roll:

Parkwood60
Modern Fan

Postby Parkwood60 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:11 pm

one stop modern,

how come the icon for your door hardware section shows a Schlage Orbit, but the knobs you have for sale look like Emtek Orbs?

BTW - Everyone For the Price Emtek has some of the coolest modern door hardware out there. The new Globe, and Bern knobs on square rosettes are pretty awesome. They also have a whole new line under the trade name Epitome hardware, including a Lucite lever that glows red when the bathroom door is locked. All the Emtek/Epitome stuff installs easily in you standard 2 1/8" round door prep.

Bryan Wood

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”