Removing paint from wood ceilings? Tips?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
drsiebling
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Removing paint from wood ceilings? Tips?

Postby drsiebling » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:47 pm

Hello everyone! as our move in date to our MCM in Dallas rapidly approaches, I am getting more and more excited at the opportunity to strip all of that white paint off the ceiling and beams - - hopefully exposing some beautiful wood underneath:

Have any of you every attempted such a gargantuan project? It looks like a hell of a lot of work. Any tips or tricks I should know about?

Any comments or advice would be appreciated!

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:58 pm

hey, drsiebling--

Almost 2 years ago, we were faced with a similar task. Many on this board provided us with great advice that we followed... our ceilings turned out beautifully.

Here's a link to the string of advice we received. http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... ht=bitzala

good luck!

bitzala

will-san
Modern Fan

Postby will-san » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:19 pm

drsiebling
Modern Master

Postby drsiebling » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:22 pm

this perfectly describes my nightmare with these ceilings. I'm torn between just hiring someone to do it, or making a project of my own. I suppose I could have my very own Michelangelo moment and do this all whilst on my back, fastened to a scaffold. But this is a pretty big house and i do work a lot... ;)

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:56 pm

I just bought myself a mobile to hang on my stripped and re-stained ceilings because damn it, I deserve it!

I used Peel Away 7 to strip the ceilings. It's a bit stinky, but non-toxic. I could only do about 3-4 sq-m per day because I could only work over my head for about that long. It's a messy, messy job, but it looks great when you're done!

The peel away left a bit of residue which would need to be sanded if you want a clear coat on the wood. I chose to re-stain the wood back to its original finish with Cabot semi-transparent stain which hid the residue. I did have to sand an occasional board that had particularly open grain.

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:36 pm

britepepper
Modern Groupie

Postby britepepper » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:39 pm

You might want to get a heat gun and give it a go. We were in a similar situation with about 1500 sq. ft. of ceiling to strip. I tried a few chemical strippers which didn't work very well and then used a heat gun on it and the paint fell right off. My guess is that whoever painted the ceiling didn't prime the wood so there wasn't a decent bond...maybe you will be as lucky.

That said, we still have a lot of work ahead of us cleaning out all of the nooks and crannies. It's definitely worth the effort if you can put up with the neck pain, though.

NoHoMod
Modern Fan

Postby NoHoMod » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:44 pm

I'm working on a similar project - the 'ceiling' of my patio as a prototype for sanding the paint off all of the soffits and overhangs around my house.

I found sanding was the best approach, and at first I tried stripping and a heat gun. The Heat gun was slow going, maybe I just don't have the technique down. The paint was pretty easily removed with a belt sander and 40 grit sanding belts, although I found my ability to keep my hands over my head was only about 20 minutes.

My plan is to finish any remaining sanding and finish the redwood. Does anyone have recommendations? Also, along one edge, theres a weird connection point where the redwood is edged with stucco that I'm not very happy with. The stucco was refaced at some point and was once more of the redwood sideing, but the way it connects - I feel it needs some kind of edge of redwood there... any thoughts?

Overall this went faster than I thought, but I don't have nearly as much as your living room has. I started this about three weekends ago.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”