Exposed aggregate vs. concrete deck??

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

bitzala
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Exposed aggregate vs. concrete deck??

Postby bitzala » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:11 pm

Hello-- Do any of you have any experience with exposed aggregate pool deck?

We love the look of flat pebbles imbedded in concrete, but are assuming (and have been told) that it can be very hot on your bare feet.

On the other hand, our pool contractor says he's installed many of these decks without complaint. (I realize that the darker stones will be hotter, attracting more of the sun's heat... some of the pictures he showed me were with lighter stones.)

Thanks for your thoughts.

bitzala

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:15 pm

Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

bitzala
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby bitzala » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:53 pm

Thanks, Perks... your former pool sounds lovely. We may go with a lighter shade to avoid the scorching of little kiddy feet.

S'Wonderful
Modern Socialite

Postby S'Wonderful » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:42 pm

We're going through the same dilemma. Our pool deck is old, cracked, green concrete that desperately needs to be replaced. We considered flagstone at first, but our contractor said that it tends to absorb dirt over time and look dingy -- an opinion that was borne out by some examples I've seen in the neighborhood. I love the look of aggregate, too, but we were concerned about durability and also how slippery it might get (if we used smooth river rock). At the moment, we're leaning toward either stamped concrete (there's a pattern with squares and rectangles that looks fairly modern) or the freehand curves that were popular in the fifties. I'd be interested to hear if you get any information on the durability of aggregate, though! We can still change our minds (again!).
Good luck with your project! :cheers:
Life is good!

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:45 pm

Last edited by bitzala on Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:46 pm

S'Wonderful
Modern Socialite

Postby S'Wonderful » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:51 pm

Life is good!

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:47 am

An alternative to aggregate is the "salt finish". After the concrete is trowelled smooth, handfulls of coarse rock salt are thrown on the surface and then banged into the concrete with a trowel. When the concrete hardens the rock salt is hosed off (it takes days!), leaving a pock-marked surface that is very Mid-Century modern. Another advantage is that the finished material doesn't look new, it seems to have an instant patina.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:36 am

Hi, TM-- that's interesting about the salt finish being consistent with MCM. I didn't realize that. What we have now is a salt finish. Unfortunately, not enough expansion joints were used and there are several hairline cracks. (Not to mention that the coping was done in some kind of rock in the 90s... not a good look, imo.)

S'wonderful-- so glad the pictures of the Mexican pebbles were helpful.

I'm still trying to find a good picture of exposed aggregate with the "mcm" look-- with the pebbles more spread out. I want to show our contractor to make sure we're on the same page.

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:10 pm

I have exposed aggregate on my patio - it's composed of tan to brown smooth pebbles and doesn't get as hot as black stones - perhaps an alternative?

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Stephen
Modern Guru

An alternative...

Postby Stephen » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:01 am

I'm in the same boat with a pool area that needs overall remodeling. Right now, I've got the concrete jungle. My pool area is enclosed with wall and fence on two of the sides and house and garage framing the other two; save for two small strips along the fence and all, it's all concrete or pool.

I've actually decided to go with the anti-pool-deck pool deck. In an effort to appear far more natural and inviting (something it sounds like you're trying to achieve by incorporating pebbles) I've decided to use the minimal amount of concrete possible. Instead, I want a simple path that leads from the doors to the steps and small lound area. That path will most likely be stepping stones and not concrete. The rest will be be a combination of vegation and rock. In fact, I think the only concrete will be a simple straight edge for the pool coping.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:41 pm

Hi, John-- I'm curious... what size stones were used in your aggregate? (I've read that less than one inch is ideal if you don't want to lose stones, but I'd rather use stones that are about an inch or slightly bigger than an inch.) Also, is your aggregate original to the house? Thanks.

Hey, Stephen-- yes, you are right... I am attempting to break up the look of chronic concrete by adding the stones. Sounds like you've got a very nice plan for reducing the impact of too much concrete.

bitzala

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:57 am

The aggregate is original and size is in the 1/4" to 3/4" pebble. I've also got a neighbor who had her original concrete patio resurfaced with small tan stones - I believe they use resin to attach the new surface - it actually looked and felt great - something to look into.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern

http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Josquin

Aggregate

Postby Josquin » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:38 pm

Bitzala,
Hi, hope everything is going well. Here is our front entrance during our entrance courtyard construction. We have one inch aggregate pebble in concrete on the threshold that was original to the house.

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:47 pm

jazz-n-cocktails
Modern Socialite

Re: An alternative...

Postby jazz-n-cocktails » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:59 pm

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:50 am

hey, jazz-n-cocktails,

I'm curious-- what kind of stamping will you do in your concrete deck?

bitzala

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:24 am

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

jazz-n-cocktails
Modern Socialite

Postby jazz-n-cocktails » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:13 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:13 pm

S'Wonderful
Modern Socialite

Postby S'Wonderful » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:09 pm

I'm also thinking about a subtle upward ledge to the coping.[/quote]

The coping we (jazz-n-cocktails and I) looked at had two styles -- one without a slant, and the "safety grip," which is made with a slight upward tilt. This was in the older, more traditional coping. The newer, stone-look stuff is mostly flat. we're going with the old-style type, as we want our pool to look as period-authentic as possible. Think Palm Springs! :cheers:
Life is good!

S'Wonderful
Modern Socialite

Postby S'Wonderful » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:14 pm

A question for proponents of the salt-rock finish: is it rough on your feet? I used to be a lifeguard at a YMCA pool, and the salt-rock deck was very rough -- lots of little snags. Sort of like walking on pumice stone. Perhaps it just wasn't done well?
Life is good!

jazz-n-cocktails
Modern Socialite

Postby jazz-n-cocktails » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:41 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:16 pm

i walk barefoot on my salt rock all the time - never ever had any 'rough' issues.
the concrete is smoothed out beautifully first - and the salting process only creates minor depressions in it - nothing sticks up to snag your feet unless somebody did it wrong.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:00 pm

If the salt is left on too long, it creates pits.

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:06 pm

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:13 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:25 am

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

jazz-n-cocktails
Modern Socialite

Postby jazz-n-cocktails » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:52 am

jazz-n-cocktails
Modern Socialite

Postby jazz-n-cocktails » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:56 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”