Exposed aggregate vs. concrete deck??

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Stephen
Modern Guru

What about this?

Postby Stephen » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:50 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

S'Wonderful
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby S'Wonderful » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:20 pm

Life is good!

Stephen
Modern Guru

Not to beat a dead horse...

Postby Stephen » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:11 pm

Not to beat a dead horse...but this house has EXACTLY the kind of pool area treatment I'm thinking of:

Dark-ish pool surface treatment. Simple, flat pool coping. Very natural surrounds. Makes it feel like the pool is a very natural addition to the landscape.

Comments?
Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:05 am

jazz-n-cocktails
Modern Socialite

Postby jazz-n-cocktails » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:33 am

bamalama
Modern Socialite

Postby bamalama » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:51 pm

Hi bitzala (et alia!),

I'm listing a copy of House Beautiful from July 1958 that has an extensive article called "Mixing Concrete With Imagination." Recommended finishes include a broom sweeping technique either in one direction or in a cross-hatched or herringbone pattern, creating patterns with cookie cutters(!), scoring the slabs and sectioning with transite, wood, brass or plastic. This was one of my favorite ideas:
I wondered if this was the kind of look you were going for, bitzala, when you wrote about having the stones spaced widely... or is this too wide?
Here's an illustration of a swept texture:
The pebble mosaic is wonderful, but it's a pool bottom from the U.N.!
Wishing I had a pool to fret about,
Jean

bitzala
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby bitzala » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:04 pm

Hello, bamalama--

Thanks for posting the fun pictures! The top one is interesting, but you're right, the pebbles are spaced more widely than I had in mind. Kinda reminds me of the entryway into Minx, a restaurant down here, except the inverse: They have dark grey concrete with a few white pebbles scattered about.

I'm loving the pic of the pebble mosaic at the bottom of a (the?) UN's pool... beautiful.

bitzala

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:09 pm

Thanks for the warning, kjansma.

I'm curious, what do you mean by re-sealing? Is it that the little pebbles come out and you need to have them replaced? Is re-sealing necessary with larger stones, but less often? We're definitely looking for something that's low maintenance.

I'd read somewhere that today's exposed aggregate, if done properly, didn't have a problem with losing stones. I'll have to do more research on this piece.

bitz

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:00 pm

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:54 pm

kjansma

My Neighbor has his Drive done in what you are talking about. At first I thought this was Pepple-Tech, but after speaking with the Pebble-Tech Company, it is another process all together. Does it look like this? if so then it is the same stuff as my Neighbors

http://www.decorpebble.com.au/pebble-mix.htm

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:35 am

AAh, exactly! Ours looks just like Golden Copper! Thanks for the link. I've lost any knowledge I once had of FTP, so I can't take photos of our driveway and decking and post them here.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”