Flat Roofs Bad

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Flat Roofs Bad

Postby classic form » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:33 am

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:30 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:52 pm

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't really think this article is too bad. I think the points raised are valid. They also mention that flat roofs are integral to Pueblo-style and some communities encourage flat roofs.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I'm just

Postby modfan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:51 pm

Surprised that in a rainy climate such as Seattle's (in the link) that flat roofs would be an option-seems like they would be too much trouble.

If they are an excuse to shoehorn an over scaled McMansion onto a postage stamp sized lot that's way outta scale with the surrounding neighborhood not a good thing.
But being compatible with surrounding 'modern' homes' aka an Eichler neighborhood-probably ok.

I thought it would be a big deal and such but since the roof on my house is flat, I don't have much of a problem with it. Altho there isn't much of a place to hide wires for cableTV or other such stuff (they strung it along the rain gutters).

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:21 pm

Dallasmodern
Modern Master

Postby Dallasmodern » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:09 am

I clearly understand the economic aspect of filling more bang for the buck with a flat roof. However, I think that the statement that a flat roof requires more frequent maintenance may be a bit of a generalized stereotype. However, I'll save that rant for another thread.
Indeed, a flat roof has it's place. Just as any other roof, it should be appropriate for its environment and surrounding context. Consider the flat roofs in the north valleys of New Mexico of the high pitched roofs of northern Europe.
What seems to be ignored is that most zoning ordinances are geared on a city scale and not neighborhood specific. Even when environ guidelines are in place, there are often loopholes that allow builders/ developers to proceed with plans that may compromise the context of a neighborhood.
I'm not saying this happens all the time. In fact, I personally know several builders/ developers that take great strides to be respectful of their surroundings. However it's not uncommon; particularly here in Dallas; to see a large modern flat roofed dwelling being constructed within a neighborhood of smaller craftsman style bungalows.
There's something beautiful about the elegant lines and modest details to a flat roof. But it's sad to see that some have resorted to flat roofs only as a means to make a couple of extra bucks without any consideration of the context.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:03 pm

flat roofs are fine.

it's the people with flat heads I have a problem with :wink:

tallrick
Modern Socialite

Postby tallrick » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:48 am

Oh yes, a nice sloped roof to act as hurricane bait, good thinking!
Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:32 pm

Flat roofs must be really expensive to build and maintain--that's why all the crappy strip malls in Southern California can afford to have them.

tallrick
Modern Socialite

Postby tallrick » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:28 pm

Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”