Cleaning terrazzo floors

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
kandersen
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cleaning terrazzo floors

Postby kandersen » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:18 am

Hi,

We have vitrified cement-based terrazzo floors (not tiles) in our home, which are original to the house. From what I've read, we should use a neutral liquid cleanser with a pH factor between 7 and 10 to clean the terrazzo. Can anyone recommend a cleanser? I appreciate any suggestions.

post50modern
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby post50modern » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:04 pm

Hello,

I had a home with Terrazzo throughout the entire home. The previous owners used regular floor polish on them (ouch!) Over time a dull yellow film was obvious. I had a professional company come in a wet hone the floors back to their original lustre. They started with a rough diamond grit rotary honing machine and then repeated the process using finer and finer grit allowing for more and more shine with each pass. I choose the "middle" sheen, but you could have them shine so much so as to see your own reflection. Once the desired sheen is achieved a terrazzo sealer was applied. Three years ago the charge was $1 per square foot or $2100 in my case as the whole house was covered with it. Dust and dirt, as with any floor, is the enemy but probably more so with terrazzo as the dirt scratches the stone and in turn dulling the shine. I used an oil free (oils and solvents are damaging) broom and swept every other day and had lots of doormats to keep the sand and dirt at bay. Ok...sorry for rambling...
When it came time to clean or do spot cleaning I used the product below and had GREAT results. It looks expensive, but it is concentrated in formula and lasts a long time.

Good Luck and enjoy the cool terrazzo under you feet. :-)

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:17 am

Thanks for information. We had the floors honed when we bought the house, and it made a huge difference. It was expensive, which is why I'm so worried about using the wrong cleaner. I'll definitely check out the Stonecare product. Thanks again for the recommendation.

jazz-n-cocktails
Modern Socialite

Postby jazz-n-cocktails » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:42 pm

tampaChrissie
Modern Socialite

Great resource

Postby tampaChrissie » Mon May 07, 2007 9:36 am

We just bought an MCM with terrazzo floors throughout and I found this to be very helpful: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/HE780

mod cats
Modern Socialite

Postby mod cats » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:47 pm

Those of you with terrazzo though the whole house, count your blessings... our house has some terrazzo and concrete elsewhere, with carpet over the concrete. I have uncovered terrazzo in our bedroom closets and a small hallway (it was already exposed in the bathrooms and kitchen and is pretty nice there). But the closets and hallway still have residue (and bits of) the carpet pad. I will try the Stonecare, but will that get the goo and grunge up too? And any suggestions about patching a few nail holes?

These patches of reclaimed terrazzo are small, really too small to hire someone to tackle, so any recommendations that are workable for me are welcome.

Covering the concrete after we get around to pulling up the carpet (ick!) is another thread....with the overwhelming response that I should have the concrete polished so it will complement the terrazzo (which I don't want to cover).

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:41 am

mod cats
Modern Socialite

Postby mod cats » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:46 pm

I still wonder why they didn't put it through the whole house. But I do have friends whose terrazzo goes through the whole house .... it was ruined, though, so they had to cover it anyway.

I've thought about wood, but I also like the looks of the polished concrete. I'm leery of the dust and the uproar, but if I can find someone locally to do it for a reasonable price for a nice finished product, I'm going to go with that. Otherwise, I have to find a floor covering that will complement the terrazzo. I think a light-colored wood floor would work, since the terrazzo had flecks of brown in it, and the wood looks really nice.

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:22 am

mod cats
Modern Socialite

Postby mod cats » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:05 pm

That does make sense, to have carpet in the bedrooms in a cooler climate, and I understand why they'd have it in a great room because of the echo. And so many people here are from up North, it's entirely possible that the people who built the house went with carpet in those rooms (we have a big living room too) because they were used to it.

I'm from Indiana, and my dad is a Realtor in Indianapolis. I like looking through his listings for Modern houses up for sale. His office sold a really cool one in Shelbyville recently.

Have you tried the Stonecare product yet?

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:09 am

mod cats
Modern Socialite

Postby mod cats » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:08 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”