Need source for MCM globe lights, and MCM front door-eichler

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mkanaly
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Need source for MCM globe lights, and MCM front door-eichler

Postby mkanaly » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:59 am

My wife and I are considering the purchase of an eichler, and have noticed the lighting and front door of the home we have our eyes on is far from original.

Below are my questions...

Lighting:
Does anyone know where I could find the globe lights? Specifically indoor hanging type? What about the outdoor options?

Front Door:
Whats the best bet for a front door? Currently the house has a god awful door that doesnt match the clean eichler style. Suggestions? Suggestions on styles?

Front light next to the front door:
Looking for suggestions/pics/sources for this as well.

I dont think home depot will do it for any of these. Let me know

Thanks in advance!
there is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

SoMo
Modern Socialite

Postby SoMo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:51 pm

I just ordered these globe lights http://www.lightingdirect.com/index.cfm ... yword=6018 for a beach house we're building in WA state. I haven't seen them installed yet so I can't say if I recommend them - but they look nice :) And they might have outdoor ones at that site also, not sure.

This is what I ordered for by the front door. http://www.lightingdirect.com/index.cfm ... word=P5675

Good luck -

Sara

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:56 pm

"Better Living Through Modernism"

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:53 pm

welcome to the forum mkanaly.

please use the search function here and you will find some answers to your questions - the link that moderns r us just posted above is chock full of lighting resources.

JXBrown
Modern Master

Postby JXBrown » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:49 pm

Interior and exterior globe lights in any size with any length stem:

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:50 pm

Depending on the plan, most eichlers had a plan slab door, usually painted in an accent color. Ody enough, that is something you could get at Home Depot. Although at a lumber yard you could special order one with what they call a stave core. This is solid wood strips inside instead of particle board. Also available at some Home Depots and Lowes would be a single light french door. That could be special ordered with obscure glass. Mistlite or ribbed perhaps. Do post some pictures. And do visit the Eichler Network link on the home page here. Lots of pictures.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Re: Need source for MCM globe lights, and MCM front door-eic

Postby Stephen » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:01 pm

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

wyneken
Modern Fan

Postby wyneken » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:49 pm

The short answer to this question, I think, is that the best deal on 10" and 12" hanging globe lights would be the Fado lamps from IKEA.

Larger than 12", the best prices I've seen are at LoveIt Lighting: http://loveitlighting.com/cgi-bin/globes_splash.pl

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:51 pm

mkanaly
Modern Groupie

Postby mkanaly » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:42 pm

So home depot, lowes, etc dont carry the plain slab front doors? They must be special ordered for the most part?

Will the guy even know what i'm talking about most likely?

Also, what hardware do you recommend? (handles)

Thanks
:mike

mkanaly
Modern Groupie

Postby mkanaly » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:44 pm

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:05 pm

We don't own an Eichler, but did a pretty extensive (and very budget conscious) renovation on a 1961 mod ranch. Our Eichler inspired entrance project required a new door. We went with a pre-hung metal door, available from Lowes. Don't recall the exact price, but I don't think it was too much (couple $100?)....

As far as the door handle, a ball/globe type is a great choice....

...of which Lowes has something very similar to in commercial grade. These can, however, be kinda pricey (easily over $100+ each, plus extra for dead-bolts if you want them). I just had too many exterior knobs to buy (and too many other expenses going on) to be able to afford it. So, went with a more modest knob...

...also a Lowes item. I think it was around $70 for a package of 2 complete knob sets, including the dead-bolts. If we'd just had the one door knob to buy, I definitely would have gone with the globe style. But, the ones we bought look and function fine. I'm still happy with the choice.

As far as your lighting choices, it looks like everyone else has already answered your question. I purchased globe lights made by Seagull Lighting (14"/$100ea). I also put in about $1000 of Swivelier lighting (link mention earlier in the thread). That's a Swivelier you see to the left of our front door in the photo above (about $100 for that exterior fixture).

If you're like I was, and know you're gonna be spending plenty of money elsewhere on your home projects, affordable solutions are always welcome. Hope my suggestions are helpful.

Best of luck with your plans.

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”