This irks me

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

This irks me

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:19 am

see below link for a blog by resident realtors in the long beach cliff may tract
http://activerain.com/blogsview/62228/P ... n-Homes-in

its annoying to see factually incorrect references made by supposed experts. thank goodness for the kramers.

when we visited their "flip" on stevely in the summer during an open house, yes, everything was brand spanking new, but there was something just off about the interior. i think what came through in its remodel was a misunderstanding, or non-understanding, of mid-century modern. it was a strange mix of contemporary, modern and mid-century in its most kitsch form (not that that is bad if it's done right). anyhow just ranting...

(disclosure - neither of the aforementioned were involved in our buying process)
it's good. ...for now.

KateT(CA)
Modern Master

Postby KateT(CA) » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:27 am

At least they didn't stucco it to death and do a Home Depot number on it.

Looks like these kids know just enough about a Cliff May to keep from doing any lasting damage, but not enough to do it really right. They should have read the book at least...the Holly oven in the original looks nice in the pic. And I liked the strange grid over the kitchen in the original pic.

K.
Best regards,
Kate at Studio 85

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:12 am

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:19 pm

it's good. ...for now.

Boomerang
Modern Groupie

Postby Boomerang » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:46 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:00 pm

post modern?
Last edited by Joe on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:12 pm

eek. some of those comments are getting harsh on their blog. wasn't my intent at all. (btw, they do live in the tract)
thanks to carrie for providing such a thorough explanation of MCM vs post-modern. i learned from it!
it's good. ...for now.

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:21 am

They also Belong to this Board

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:37 am

S'Wonderful
Modern Socialite

Postby S'Wonderful » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:05 am

Life is good!

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:21 am

spinsLPs
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby spinsLPs » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:40 am

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:41 am

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:53 am

it's good. ...for now.

jazz-n-cocktails
Modern Socialite

Postby jazz-n-cocktails » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:38 am

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:03 am

For anyone who missed the original post....

Before...

After...

Can't seem to find the blog via a Google cached page.

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

cupcake
Modern Groupie

Postby cupcake » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:20 am

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:40 am

it's good. ...for now.

robbhouston

Postby robbhouston » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:59 am

http://www.nashvillemodern.com

A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:21 am

it's good. ...for now.

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:58 pm

Just viewed the before and after pics. Disgusting but I'm not suprised. Common decency precludes one from taking a "mod-nazi" stance against everyone that just doesn't get the mid-century modern (or any "modern") aesthetic. It's sadly apparent that the rare commodity that is a mid-century modern house is largely not recognized as such and is for the most part just considered another "old house". Sure it's easy to call somebody who does this sort of thing an idiot but that really does nothing to further the preservation of something that is close to becoming extinct. I guess this is the sort of thing that happens when someone attempts to profit off the latest real estate "hot" item without having a clue as to why it's "hot".

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:09 pm

Perhaps this new, improved look could be called Post-Mortem. At least they replaced the really ugly ceiling fan with one that's just ugly.

classic form

Postby classic form » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:21 am

Now THATS funny!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”